“Service with a smile?”

Ranked #53 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
San Antonio, Texas
“Service with a smile?”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Hotel lobby and rooms were very clean. Amenities are average. We stayed two nights, under a room block with a special group rate ($89 per night). On the day of check out, the carpet cleaning crew was at the hotel working. I had a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on my door, and got a knock on the door shortly before 10AM from the carpet cleaning crew asking if we were still in the room? What?!? Check-out is at 11AM!! Then I get a call shortly after the knock on the door, from the lobby desk, letting me know that the carpet cleaning guys were trying to get into the room to clean the carpets. My question was, "isn't check-out at 11AM?" The response from the other end of the line was, "oh, so you're checking out today?" Don't they have the reservation information at their fingertips? It's called a computer! At check-out time I approached the reservation desk and asked to speak to a manager. I could see from where I was standing that the clerk was telling the manager what was going on. As the manager walked out of the back office I heard her say, "it's a Monday", to which I replied, "yes, it is a Monday". What did she mean by that? Was I just another complaint she had to "handle"? When I told her what happened about the carpet cleaning crew and call from the lobby desk, BEFORE 11AM, the apology she gave me was absolutely terrible. A completely empty apology...no feeling, no smile, monotone voice. This seemed to be the same thing I got from other staff members during my stay. None of the staff ever smiled and didn't seem friendly. The manager apologized for the inconvenice and that was it. It wasn't until I informed her that I was not satified with that. She then asked me to wait a few minutes, stood at the door of the office she came from, was talking to someone, came back out and refunded me $20 and change for one of my night's stay. Turns out the person I was speaking to was a manager...the general manager, Lori Jackson, never even came out of the office to "handle" me or my complaint. I guess the I'm supposed to be grateful for the $20 refund. Terrible customer service...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Monica R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Staff was very professional and provided great customer service, unlike another motel in the area. Staff went out of their way to accommodate our group and showed us all respect, especially under such a short notice. GREAT JOB!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ShernitaM
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2012

For a 150.00 a night I expect better. There was no plug for the tub to take a shower. When we requested one, we were assured it was on the way up. 30 minutes later, still no plug. Another phone call and another assurance it would be up shortly. Well it NEVER came, so we used a wash cloth to plug the drain. Next came the lousy internet service, one bar and it was dropping constantly. They say they remodeled the rooms - yea if you consider a new comforter and wallpaper remodeling. Old furniture from the 80s and a 25" tube TV. The full breakfast was mediocre as best. Would NEVER recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Caesar1018

Travellers are raving about these Corpus Christi hotels

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Went here for our first Anniversary.

We asked for a non-smoking room, and found that our room smelled smoky. Since my wife is pretty sensitive to it, we told the front desk. I think they ended up giving us a new room, but it was not a big deal.

It was definitely a good value for the stay. Lighting wasn't the greatest but it was clean, and all in all I was happy with the room and price.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We were booked to this hotel as part of a Destination Imagination tournament for the kids, so I did not have high expectations. We were pleasantly surprised by what we found. The front desk service was thorough. The breakfasts and afternoon snack service was pleasant. The room and bathroom were clean, the A/C worked well, and our room was quiet. The pool was great for the kids, and we enjoyed a windy afternoon on the pool deck. Rey, the maintenance man, was a busy guy that weekend. He always had a kind word for our group and was helpful. Thank you for a pleasant weekend in Corpus. Our group would have liked to have known that the sign for "Padre Island" means you are on N. Padre Island Drive--just a little map info. for you!

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not directly off of the lobby--those would have more noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TexasJulieB
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed at The Plaza for 4 nights with our dog. We paid a $50 one time pet deposit, but it seemed pretty reasonable since we were there for more than one night. The bed was very comfortable...I want the mattress! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The snacks and meals were great. The building is a bit out of date, but the price makes up for it. If you are looking for comfort and a friendly atmosphere this is the place to go! We'd definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MLKET
McAllen, Texas
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The Hotel Does have nice Emplyees AND the rooms are clean. The tv is outdated on some rooms (LIKE OURS)....OUR ROOM WAS VERY HOT!!! The a/c was not working at all. At 4AM we noticed that we could open the window and that's what we did to be at least a little comfortable!!!

Room Tip: Make sure the a/c works..if not..report it immediately!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family