“SAD excuse for a Botanical Garden”

South Texas Botanical Gardens & Nature Center
Ranked #12 of 103 things to do in Corpus Christi
More attraction details
Owner description: A tranquil respite from city stress, this collection of gardens soothes the soul with walking trails, 2500 varieties of orchids, an idyllic rose garden, desert and tropical flowers, wetlands, forest and many opportunities for bird watching.
Reviewed 17 February 2012

You may think its a waste of time to visit the CC Botanical Gardens. I dont know if its because its winter but, there werent many flowers to see. They have a few birds around in cages but, they looked like they werent being very well taken care of. They have no foraging material in their cages and it just doesnt look like a good set up for those poor birds. The Orchid House is full of some beautiful plants but, they have this forlorn african grey parrot in a small cage tucked in a corner, all alone. It was really a sad sight to see. I think the Gardens should put their focus on being a Botanical Garden and not try to become some kind of zoo. I enjoyed the gift shop and found some neat items for my patio.

9  Thank Bentley440
in 13 reviews
"great place to visit"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Our out of state visitors are always impressed. This venue is a great way to spend a morning or afternoon. If you like plants and wildlife, this is the best.

Reviewed 19 November 2011

I so enjoyed my visit to this remote botanical garden in Corpus Christi. They have a good assortment of plumerias. They were NOT in bloom when I arrived but it looked like we were walking thru a Dr. Suess forest since they had recently been pruned. Their orchid, bromeliad and butterfly gardens are well designed. They exotic birds throughout the gardens gave it an exotic flair. They had a 1 mile walking trail but we did not take our walking shoes. It is not a huge place but is very nice place to stop. The roses were in full bloom and scented the air. For $6.00 it was worth it. They also have a small gift shop where you may purchase some interesting garden art, seeds and much more. Worth the trip if you love plants.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

I don't understand where those with negative comments are coming from but they clearly do not understand the nature of this part of the country. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit here and absorbed the peace and beauty of the plants and the natural layout of the center. We took many photographs and lingered more than we usually do. It was the highlight of our day. The blending of the botanical garden aspect with the nature center was particularly well done. We plan to include a visit here for all of our future visits to this area.

2  Thank cgrauke
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 December 2010

We nearly left upon arrival, due to how the place looked OUTSIDE. But we had driven 45 minutes to get there. We should have followed our first instincts. No flowers but marigolds and some kale, which was the only "pretty" thing there. I was appalled at this place. I can't even believe they call it a botannical garden. I've been to botannical gardens all over the country and this is HORRIBLE. Don't waste the gas getting there, let alone the price of admission.

6  Thank free2be2