“Beach is a joke, but cool shower facility/decks”
Review of Malaquite Beach

Malaquite Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: This beach on Padre Island is a great camping and beach-going spot.
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The beach/ocean itself is not impressive at all- covered in seaweed/some trash. Howevvver.... this particular facility had impressive lookout decks and helpful shower facilities.

2  Thank FtWorthTXmommy

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Malaquite Beach is located in a State Park, therefore the emphasis is to preserve the natural beauty of the place rather than cater to beach goers. Like all the other beaches on the Texas coast, this one was covered with red, stinky seaweed. The exception is that the park personnel leave the seaweed alone; they leave it right where it naturally washes up. The other beaches on the coast, the ones that cater to beach goers actually haul the seaweed away from the water's edge and pile it up somewhere out of the way.

Besides the beach, a couple of the things that were nice were the rinse-off area, which is gender segregated. Also there is a structure to watch the night sky, and a covered picnic area. There is plenty of parking, and I believe a gift shop or something too, but we didn't go in any of the buildings.

Overall, our entire Texas Coast experience, including Malaquite Beach, was ruined by the seaweed. We understand that it is a natural phenomenon though, and Mother Nature is not selective when it comes to who's fun she's going to ruin. Supposedly the seaweed hits every year, but usually it isn't nearly this bad, and by this time it is usually already gone. Oh well, maybe next year then.

4  Thank Frazier S
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Went to the National Seashore Park, south of Corpus Christi and paid the $10 fee for a week-long pass, but only spent Father's Day there with my wife and two daughters. The Rangers seemed friendly and waved as they passed, and the lady at the booth where we paid our entrance fee was pleasant and helpful. We rode in a 4X4 truck, but Malaquite Beach doesn't allow vehicle driving on the that beach, so we decided to drive further down to where you can park on the beach. I was amazed at the excessive amount of seaweed on the shore, and once we found a parkable spot, we set our beach chairs in front of the seaweed barrier on the shoreline so that the ocean breeze would keep the smell behind us. I'm told this much seaweed is unusual, but I really wish it could have been cleaned up before the summer season. I think my next trip to the beach this summer will be to South Padre. which sucks because I came here from San Antonio, so the drive to South Padre is twice as far as driving to Corpus. In spite of this, I would come back because it really is a nice park and there are RV campsites. We own a teardrop camper and would love to come except the park has no electrical hookups, which is a deal-breaker for me, since our teardrop has AC - which in my opinion is mandatory for these ungodly hot Texas summers. If they offered that, I'd be a regular camper here.

2  Thank PRODZ999
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We've been here many times over the years and always find ourselves wanting to come back. The drive there is so peaceful and the small entrance fee goes to maintaining this piece of untouched nature for future generations. Every time we come we see a different type of wildlife. The facilities here are also nice. There is a ranger station that has a gift shop and small museum, a convenience store (for campers), and large public restrooms and showers, and a large parking area. You can get all the current beach conditions in the gift shop. And the rangers do "beach walk" tours which are fun for kids and parents. The section of beach directly behind is off limits for driving but you can drive down a little ways and onto the beach. If you want to know the real Padre Island then this is the place to go!

3  Thank Mike M
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Beautiful stretch of beach! No one out there while we were there, probably because the weather wasn't the best. No swimming as there are rip tides and jellyfish, but there are camping facilities and a gift shop on the premises.

4  Thank Mree2014