“Excellent family stop”

Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History
Ranked #12 of 103 things to do in Corpus Christi
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular with families, the museum focuses on the history and culture of South Texas with something for everyone, including relics from a 1554 shipwreck, recreations of two of the three ships used for Columbus's voyage to the New World, an interactive weather station, a children's section with marine activities and numerous artifacts.
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We have been here twice and enjoyed it both times. There are a lot of Texas History artifacts and a wonderful 15 minute tour of replicas of the Nina, Pinta and Sant Maria. The museum is in great need of some donations for updates but it is an excellent stop for children, especially ages 6 and up.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"info"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 21 September 2013

This was right at the bottom of my list of things I wanted to do while I was in Corpus Christi - I had originally planned to spend the day at the beach, but of course it decided to rain heavily all day so I picked this purely because it was the only indoor attraction that I had left to visit. It was worth it, but only as a time filler. It's also probably much more interesting for children than for adults.

The map I was given didn't seem to bear any relation to the interior of the museum, so I'm fairly sure I missed a few bits. Of the exhibits that I did see, there was a mineral display, a reptile area with a few turtles and snakes etc., a section about travelling from Europe to the Americas back in the good old days, and a small educational area about different types of produce as used by the native Indians and the European settlers. As a non-American these were all quite informative, although I imagine most Americans would already know about most of it. There were also a few additional areas closed off for renovation. (Is this the season for it or what? Everywhere I go seems to have closed off sections!)

I didn't find any science-y areas, just a lot of history. I don't know if that was intentional or due to the aforementioned useless map. There is a second floor in the building that isn't marked and has no signage, so i have no idea what was up there. There are also replicas of the Nina and Pinta out back, but you can only go on these at scheduled tour times and the scheduled tours were not running on the day I visited. To be honest, I'm not sure if you can go on them at all any more - they are decidedly weather worn, with holes right through the wooden sides. Essentially, they looked like deathtraps and I wasn't interested enough in them to go and check whether or not I was allowed on board.

Good points: nice environment, good mix of subjects, the loud children who were there at the same time as me seemed fascinated.

Bad points: strong chance of loud children(!), surprisingly difficult to navigate, the wooden ships look scary.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

This multi-faceted museum is filled with all sorts of displays showcasing bothe science and the history particular to South Texas. Every age group will be delighted with the interactive exhibits!

We were lucky to get to see the two replicas of the Christopher Columbus ships - the Pinta and the Santa Maria - before they are relocated to San Antonio in October 2013.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We would have spent the whole day in the museum with our whole family if we had the time. Great displays of history, science and other wide interests. In 1992, Spain built replicas of the ships of Columbus and sailed them to the new world. They are now on display at the museum and you can tour one. Very good tour. We enjoyed the history displays of the town of Corpus Christi. I would recommend for all ages.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 August 2013

It does have a lot of information inside to read and learn like a typical museum. My favorite part were the replica ships of the Nina and Pinta and I enjoy guided tours. However, we were informed that these ships are not going to be around much longer as they will be torn down at end of summer since they are fairly old. If this is your main attraction call first to make sure they are still there. There is a small children's section with hands on activities but several were broken. I did not have children so no worries, but not sure how much time would occupy the children. The 2nd thing I liked was the living animals display, ie, turtles, snakes, etc.

Might have rated it higher but the whole 3 hours we were there someone was jack-hammering and it got a bit annoying as you could hear it throughout the entire building.

1  Thank hipty94