“My first visit:”

texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“My first visit:”
Reviewed 4 December 2008

Well it was a little hard to find, kept passing it by, but its well worth the trip to see all the items once you stop and go inside, all her awards and outfits wow, its very nice and lots to look at, my wife and I just loved seeing everything, the only bad thing was that our baby girl was asleep the whole time we were there, but we will go back when she is awake, Thanks again.

Rick & Daisy & Juliananna Ybarra

7 Thank onefamily

Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A Must See!”
Reviewed 19 June 2008

During my 3 trips to Corpus Christi, I have made Many visits to the Selena museum.
Being a Huge Selena Fan, this was a place I just HAD to visit, since I am from Ohio, I never got the chance to see Selena live. Finding the place was the hardest part, because there is no signs or anything out front, you have to be quick with the eye or you'll drive right past it.
When you walk in, you are welcomed by Dolores, who is a total sweetheart!, She makes you feel so at ease and welcome, You are invited to take as many pictures as you want in the lobby, and then asked for your dollar, which goes towards the Selena Foundation, and you are asked for any cameras or camera phones, which is totally understandable, they want to preserve Selena's belongings that are on display. If you are lucky you will be taken on a tour thru the recording studio where Selena would record, and where Jennifer Lopez filmed the "I Could Fall In Love" segment of the movie, there is a GORGEOUS painting of Selena in there. When you walk into the Museum its self, it almost takes your breath away, its just a feeling you can't describe, seeing her outfits, her awards, her design sketches, her car, the item that really put in knot in my throat tho, was seeing her microphone she used during the last few years of her life, its still covered with her lipstick.
While you are in the museum, you will probably run across Mr Quintanilla or Suzette, I have had the opportunity to talk with them quite a few times during my visits.
And you never know, you may be a lucky one, Mr Quintanilla likes to surprise guests every once in awhile and take them upstairs to show them footage or in my case, I got to see some Enfoque Musical footage, and meet then up and coming artist Sesi. That was a treat. My husband, who really isn't a Selena Fan, really enjoyed the museum, after visiting, it left him with wanting to know more about Selena!
Usually if I am in Corpus I make 2 trips to the museum...just because I can't get enough.
I highly recommend it to ANYBODY, even if you aren't a Selena Fan or Fan of Tejano music, go and see it, you will come out with a different attitude and probably like my husband, wanting to know more about who this wonderful young lady who was senselessly killed at the age of 23...was.

6 Thank NobodyYouKnow
Las Vegas, Nevada - USA
134 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 569 helpful votes
“Recommended for Selena Fans”
Reviewed 30 May 2008

My family and I visited the Selena Museum on a Friday afternoon. As other posters have mentioned, the museum does not have any signage on it at all. It is an unassuming beige building with metal siding and two large tour type buses in the front. The museum is across the street from a bright peach/yellow restaurant named Hermanos Solis or something to that affect.

When we arrived, we were greeted by a receptionist who asked how many were in our party. We told her, paid $2.00 per person, and then asked to wait for someone to personally start the tour with us. No cameras or cell phones were permitted, and you can leave them at the front desk. It is not uncommon for museums storing clothing and photos, as the flash destroys these items. Also, there may be copyright infringements that may be violated if photographs are taken.

The tour started in the recording studio area. This recording studio is the one used by Jennifer Lopez in the film “Selena” (though there have been some remodeling since Selena used it – probably for technology upgrades) and is currently used by recording artists today. Selena recorded her track, “Dreaming of You” in this studio.

After viewing the recording studio, you are lead to a large open room. There are many pictures of Selena on the wall. In the middle of the room are many of Selena’s costumes. I personally did not realize how small Selena was, as she appears to be a size 2 or 4 at the most. Also on display some of her Faberge egg collection. Her many awards are also showcased. There is a continuous loop DVD that plays telling about Selena’s life.

The museum really is a working production studio with offices surrounding the area where Selena’s memoralbilia is stored. There is also a gift shop in which you can purchase a Selena doll, beach towels, t-shirts, blankets, CDs, DVDs, posters, pencils, etc. There was a steady amount of people coming in for a tour, and in the 30 minutes we were there, two groups of Latin recording artists from Mexico came through to visit the museum as well.

It is obvious that the museum and production company is a labor of love to the fallen singer. Corpus Christi was truly Selena’s home, and she appeared to be down to earth even at the height of her success. The family and friends running the museum treat each and every visitor with dignity and respect.

A Selena Memorial is located downtown on Shoreline Boulevard at Peoples Street. It is a statue of the singer seemingly leaning against the wall and a large white rose facing the street (white roses were Selena’s favorite). Selena is buried at the Seaside Memorial Park and Funeral Home located at 4357 Ocean Drive. As you drive into the cemetery, turn left at the first road and follow it almost to the end and she is located on the right hand side of the road. According to a fan website, Selena used to live in a modest home at 705 Bloomington Street in Corpus Christi. The tour is short, but I think it is interesting and thought provoking, especially for fans of Selena. I recommend going to the museum.

19 Thank VegasBling
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best Selena Memorablilia”
Reviewed 15 March 2006

Selena is such a wonderful artist and my family wanted to remember her, so we took a trip to corpus to see the Museum, her grave, and house. We loved the museum and were surprised at how many of her personal belongings are housed so lovingly in the underground room of the studio. We recommend any family to go and get the message of how wonderful selena was. She is still touching millions. In fact, we are going on vacation to corpus this weekend, and are definately gonna go back

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
north augusta, sc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“loved it!”
Reviewed 1 October 2005

Bad part is you couldn't take photos...only in the lobby.
I arrived there on March 29th, 2005 and stayed there until April 3rd. The first place I went to was the museum, b/c it was a block from my hotel.
I was there for Selena's 10 year passing. I was in a speechless moment b/c when the lady asked me where I was from I said North Carolina instead North Augusta, SC!! I paid my $1 donation and they took me thru. I then was left basically alone in the muesuem to take my time to look. I was near tears and full of emotion and had goosebumps. When I got out, after spending alot of money in the shop, I was hit with a news reporter (my first of 3 interviews while there in Corpus and first of about 6 times total on tv). I am a "selena wannabe" and I was dressed in an outfit like her. I sort of favor her some (so they say), and I was asked about my experience there.
All I can say is it is worth it! GO GO GO! I plan on going back again, and this time, really study the stuff!!! I was in La La land, to really soak it all in. Her egg collection inspired me to start one of my own in her honor...I didn't get to meet the family (due to the time of year), but saw Suzette, but didn't get to go up to her and meet her.:( perhaps next time!!!!.

14 Thank selenawannabe