“Nice motel in a not-so-nice area”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #43 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Emmaus
“Nice motel in a not-so-nice area”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We really liked the room and the motel, but the surrounding area was dicey and noisy. My wife did not feel very safe walking the dog in most places. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the room itself was nice and clean, with comfortable beds, but due to the environs we would not want to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bern666

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Jacksonville, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Very pleasant stay! Front desk staff very helpful. This was during spring break and we had nope problems whatsoever. Close to downtown and several attractions. The continental breakfast was very good with a nice blend of selections.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mike75766
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed 21 January 2013

First - I enjoyed my stay, slept well, and don't regret staying here after reading many reviews here.

As to staying there again - big maybe due to location. I never felt unsafe, however there are a lot of homeless folks in the area and it's pretty seedy. Just an old and unkept area with no restaurants or shopping nearby. This applies to most of the area north of downtown Corpus Christi for that matter. However, I was able to drive to some good restaurants in about ten minutes so not a huge deal.

As to the hotel itself, I was pleased with the size and quality of the room. It was more like one of the new BW-Plus hotels but with outside entries. Great bed, good linens, good towells, nice flat-screen with large selection of channels, above average coffee, great fridge, good micro, very nice staff. A few nicks, but overall very comfortable. I didn't try breakfast so can't comment on that.

I drove around much of the downtown (and "uptown") areas of Corpus - the town I was born in - and found that it was more frayed around the edges than I remember it. Perhaps there are new areas that are thriving that I didn't see, and I plan on exploring for those on my next trip. I'll likely look for a hotel in such an area if I can find it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank LoboTX
Colorado City, Colorado
Reviewed 14 January 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in December. The Motel itself was nice and fairly new. It was pretty clean with the exception of the sheets and office chair. There were some stains on the sheets and the office chair was just really dirty, I decided to give the room (chair, door knobs etc) a wipe down with Clorox wipes just to be safe. Also, the room smelled like cat urine but I didn't seem to notice it after a while. I myself own cats, therefore it bothered me even less. However I am happy they are pet friendly. Even though I didn't travel with my two cats, I am aware there are so many places who discriminate against pets and their owners, this is not one of those places.
Now the staff of the hotel was very friendly, however the guests did seem to be loud until around 1 a.m. on Saturday night but things were pretty peaceful on Sunday night. In addition the breakfast was nothing to write home about. I'm not sure if they ran out of food because there were so many guests or it was just not being kept up. Either way, there was no fruit available on Sunday morning and on Monday morning there was only one item of fruit. The Econo Lodge offers a pool, however it is so tiny it is probably better for children vs. adults. The pool itself was very clean.
The location of the hotel is not great but its not horrible either. It is not far from downtown and there is a Beach and Marian downtown if that is something you are interested in. I would NOT consider this a "bad" neighborhood to stay in and I felt pretty safe with the exception of the noisy guests which were more annoying then anything else. Overall this place was okay for the price. A motel/hotel can really make or break a trip and I'm happy to say my husband and I enjoyed our time spent in Corpus Christi.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarahrose G
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Was looking for a place to stay for a night after a day in Corpus. Chose this hotel after reading the reviews here and they were definitely accurate. The area looks shady but is right off the highway. not too far from the water/marina. Never felt unsafe while we stayed here either. Some of the best customer service I've encountered in a while. They truly want to make your stay as comfortable as possible. 15-20 minutes after checking in, they called us in the room to make sure everything was alright and if there was anything else we needed. We booked the room with the hot tub, which was fine. The "2-person" part is kinda pushing it as we fit but not 100% comfortably. Nothing fancy about the room or property but it was clean and well maintained. If you're looking for a basic place to stay in Corpus, definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bucs0535
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 17 December 2012

If you want a view of the water this is not your hotel. However with a GPS you can get to most places easily. Rooms were okay. Bathroom was tiny with broken toilet seat. Pool is more like a hot tub size but with pigeons! The best part of this hotel is the super friendly and efficient staff. The beds had the tiniest, hardest pillows I have ever encountered.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Pat H
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and it was a very pleasant experience. We were there for the presidential election, so that was the buzz. We enjoyed waffles each morning. We were about 5 minutes from the beach, the aquarium, many restaurants and all of the tourist shops. The surrounding neighborhood was not so good. It is just off the freeway so that is great!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple