“Top-notch bakery, on the island”

JB's German Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 14 Dessert in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: German, Cafe, European
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin, Texas
“Top-notch bakery, on the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Wow, I can't believe that an amazing bakery is right on the island. If I lived in Corpus, I'd drive out to the island to get their unusual baked goods.

I've had multiple items from there and always pleased. For example, the small cookies packed in the little containers are great for a picnic. The variety of breads, such as potato loaf and the baguettes are all tasty and have a "scratch made" flavor. These breads were popular at a cookout. If you want generic white bread, then go to a grocery. Another interesting and amazing item was their Pumpkin Coin, which was a cookie-like pastry crusted in toasted pumpkin seeds and covered in a light syrup. One of the tastiest pastries I've ever had.

I also had their special of the day, which was described as a meatball, but came out more like meatloaf. It was quite tasty and filling with potatoes as the side dish. It was so much that I split it into two meals.

• Visited April 2014

kansas city north
“Skip the lunch; stick to the bakery items”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Was really looking forward to a good German lunch. I always try to get the same thing when I go german as this is a fav combo of mine along with apple strudel. So I had the Reuben sandwich and hot german potato salad. Sandwich was very dry; bread did not taste like it was buttered and grilled at all. Not much kraut or cheese and I had even asked for extra kraut. Potato salad was bland and mushy--ugh. So disappointing! But on the upside as we waited we were offered several pastry samples and they were all great! The strudel was excellent. So this place is a must go to for good pastries but skip the lunch I ordered---maybe something else is better but if you screw up a reuben you need to go back to basic cooking school! Sorry--really wanted to love this place entirely!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank htimsfd
Brownsville, Texas
“Not what I expected ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I've been to German restaurants and this one is not a top one. I've had worse but I've had much much better. Hopefully it gets better. Service was great.

Sanford, North Carolina
“Not German”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We read and believed the majority of these reviews but should have believed the few. This place may sell good pastries, but the dinner we ate--schnitzel, with German potato salad was barely a decent pork chop with tasteless potatoes. Their tiny $4.50 side salad was decent, if way over-priced. We could never give this even a 1.5.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank YardP
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“Rich!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Wife and I stopped in on impulse. Mostly wanted coffee, but were tempted by the amazing pastries. We ended up eating inside, sharing a ham and cheese croissant and a peach cream cheese strudel. And you know what? The two of us could not finish them. They were that rich and filling.
service was good. Coffee was strong. We will certainly go back.

Visited March 2014