“Good Italian Casual Restaurant”

Russo's Coal Fired Italian Kitchen
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner
Description: The centerpiece of any Russo's restaurant is the 7,000lb coal fired oven. Only a toll like this can infuse pizza so completely and deliciously with the unique flavors of the pizzas toppings, and even the oven itself. Here at Russo's, we specialize in New York Style thin crust pizza. Everything in store is made fresh to order, and we source only the best ingredients to bring you the best flavors. In the words of founder Anthony Russo's father, we operate under the principle of "If you can't make it fresh, don't serve it!". It was this commitment to quality supplemented by a desire to share that led Russo's to conquer New York, and then other lands all over the nation. Russo's features a wide variety on the menu, from traditional favorite like our pizza, to various seafood dishes, sandwiches, pastas, cheesecakes and the like
San Antonio, Texas
“Good Italian Casual Restaurant”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Good pizza. They also serve oven baked pizza dough instead of bread when you order pasta. Tasty. Pasta was not as great as pizza. Good portion.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank SamFairfax_VA

“Napoletana pizza is excellent- skip tiramisu”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

The pizza was great- get the napoletana paisano. We ordered a large salad that never came. The tiramisu tastes like coconut not coffee - skip it. I wished I had tried more of their food but we used a groupon to come in. With the groupon it was well- priced.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank No_BSer
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Mixture of both feelings”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Pizza is tasty but personally I think overpriced after you choose your toppings.
Staff is "okay", but could be more attentive and friendly.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank TxJewel
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Looks like they are struggling”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I ate here recently on a date-night with my wife. We pass it every-day and thought we would give it a try. To be fair, I had a coal fired, flat-crust pizza and it was reasonably good, definitely not great. With my pizza I requested and paid for 3 ingredient toppings and one of them was basil. I am thinking it would be a few fresh basil leaves, but they obviously used something that came out of a shaker (looked and tasted like it came from a grocery store). I feel like I paid extra to have someone shake Italian seasoning on my pizza. I thought they were a bit sparse with the toppings. My wife ordered a chicken-pasta dish. The chicken was totally white, tasteless, rubbery and didn't have a grill mark on it. It looked like something that had been pre-cooked, maybe steamed, and reheated in a micro-wave prior to plating. The sauce they used was quite thin and life-less (tasted like chicken broth and corn-starch maybe?). The sauce just sort of sat in the bottom of the dish and did not even coat the pasta. From a food perspective, it looks like they are substituting a lot of cheaper ingredients and sub-par cooking practices for their entrees. These practices may lower their overhead, but the drop in food quality will keep my business away. Lastly, the cleanliness was quite poor. We sat next to a window in the back, opposite a kitchen exit. I didn't mind being placed away from the couple of other people in the place, after all it was date night. The blinds were very dirty (dusty) as were the ledges around the window. The table was also sticky. The waiter was reasonably attentive, I have no complaints here. He kept our drinks filled and was courteous, we believed we were served in a timely manner. I am not too sure I will make a return visit any time soon. These guys might try lowering the number of offerings on their menu and start focusing on the basics; really good food, good service, great environment. I feel bad giving such a sub-par review as I am normally quite positive, however I felt quite convicted.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank Don M
Houston
“Absolutely not”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Russo's is rated 59th best restaurant in Corpus Christi and our experience was negative, unfortunately. All 3 tables during our visit were seated 1st thru 3rd table from the front door and side by side on the bench / table that outlines the dining area; and even minimizing distance - the service was poor. Extremely dirty crushed pepper shaker; and the next table seated had to dust off chair to sit down. House wine glass ($5) was served with less wine that I have ever seen in my life; despite this I ordered a second and would have ordered a third but service was poor. Coal fired wings was our appetizer choice - sold out. So we had the Roasted Prosciutto and it was delicious ($9.95). Eggplant Parmesan ($13.95) scores a 3 o/o 10. Lasagna ($11.95) scored a 6 o/o 10. Note: entrees do not include salad. Had to personally retrieve parmesan cheese off unoccupied table. Bread basket was refilled w/o sauces while not returning our original. Desserts were $6.95 each and our first choice Big Chocolate cake - sold out, second choice Pistachio Cheesecake - sold out, third choice Chocolate Italian Crème - sold out (July 7, 2013). So Carrot Cake and Red Velvet Cake ordered to go. Served in 2 different types of containers, no utensils, no carryout bag and worst was the corner of the Carrot Cake was closed hanging out of the container and brought to us in that way. I had to clean it up to avoid spreading icing on hands and automobile. We also took a medium cheese pizza to go ($13.95). The pizza at the table beside us did look delicious but I did notice they didn't have drink refills thru their pizza, nor their dessert. I really would have like to had a better dining experience at Russo's.

• Visited July 2013