“Excellent Italian Dining”

Russo's Coal Fired Italian Kitchen
Ranked #261 of 690 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The centerpiece of any Russo's restaurant is the 7,000lb coal fired oven. Only a toll like this can infuse pizza so completely and deliciously with the unique flavors of the pizzas toppings, and even the oven itself. Here at Russo's, we specialize in New York Style thin crust pizza. Everything in store is made fresh to order, and we source only the best ingredients to bring you the best flavors. In the words of founder Anthony Russo's father, we operate under the principle of "If you can't make it fresh, don't serve it!". It was this commitment to quality supplemented by a desire to share that led Russo's to conquer New York, and then other lands all over the nation. Russo's features a wide variety on the menu, from traditional favorite like our pizza, to various seafood dishes, sandwiches, pastas, cheesecakes and the like
Three Rivers, Texas
“Excellent Italian Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

This was our first dining experience at Russo's Coal Fired Italian. Our visit was on Sunday at lunch. The dining room was filling up, but not crowded. The dining area is very nice and is great for any size group. We had large salads and one pizza. The salads were huge and very fresh. The pizza was indeed coal fired and tasted great. There are many toppings available, but we chose the Italian sausage with onions. Service was very good and we enjoyed the experience.

• Visited March 2014

San Antonio, Texas
“Good Italian Casual Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Good pizza. They also serve oven baked pizza dough instead of bread when you order pasta. Tasty. Pasta was not as great as pizza. Good portion.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank SamFairfax_VA
“Napoletana pizza is excellent- skip tiramisu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

The pizza was great- get the napoletana paisano. We ordered a large salad that never came. The tiramisu tastes like coconut not coffee - skip it. I wished I had tried more of their food but we used a groupon to come in. With the groupon it was well- priced.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank No_BSer
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Mixture of both feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Pizza is tasty but personally I think overpriced after you choose your toppings.
Staff is "okay", but could be more attentive and friendly.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank TxJewel
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Looks like they are struggling”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I ate here recently on a date-night with my wife. We pass it every-day and thought we would give it a try. To be fair, I had a coal fired, flat-crust pizza and it was reasonably good, definitely not great. With my pizza I requested and paid for 3 ingredient toppings and one of them was basil. I am thinking it would be a few fresh basil leaves, but they obviously used something that came out of a shaker (looked and tasted like it came from a grocery store). I feel like I paid extra to have someone shake Italian seasoning on my pizza. I thought they were a bit sparse with the toppings. My wife ordered a chicken-pasta dish. The chicken was totally white, tasteless, rubbery and didn't have a grill mark on it. It looked like something that had been pre-cooked, maybe steamed, and reheated in a micro-wave prior to plating. The sauce they used was quite thin and life-less (tasted like chicken broth and corn-starch maybe?). The sauce just sort of sat in the bottom of the dish and did not even coat the pasta. From a food perspective, it looks like they are substituting a lot of cheaper ingredients and sub-par cooking practices for their entrees. These practices may lower their overhead, but the drop in food quality will keep my business away. Lastly, the cleanliness was quite poor. We sat next to a window in the back, opposite a kitchen exit. I didn't mind being placed away from the couple of other people in the place, after all it was date night. The blinds were very dirty (dusty) as were the ledges around the window. The table was also sticky. The waiter was reasonably attentive, I have no complaints here. He kept our drinks filled and was courteous, we believed we were served in a timely manner. I am not too sure I will make a return visit any time soon. These guys might try lowering the number of offerings on their menu and start focusing on the basics; really good food, good service, great environment. I feel bad giving such a sub-par review as I am normally quite positive, however I felt quite convicted.

• Visited May 2013