“EXTREMELY average”

Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina
Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed here for three nights. Within the first 24 hours I was moved into and out of three rooms due to maintenance issues in the series of rooms they kept trying. Room #1 smelled of mildew. The AC in room #2 had two settings, off and arctic. In room #3 the AC barely worked at all until maintenance came up and fixed it. On the first day housekeeping failed to makeup the room. I expect the Best Western down the street would have been a more satisfactory choice of accommodations. As has been noted by others, none of the rooms I was shuffled among had 1) an in-room safe, 2) a refrigerator or 3) an operable balcony door (and no, I don't buy the city code nonsense either as I too observed people out on the balconies of the Omni.
On the positive side, the young man at front desk (I wish I could remember his name) was very helpful and almost apologetic as he helped me deal with dismaying room situation. The free wi-fi provided download speeds in excess of 35 mbs.
Next time in CRP, I will surely book elsewhere.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tupelo010835
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Tupelo010835: Thank you for your review of your stay. I am sorry that you had issues. During the peak season we are not able to get into as many rooms as we would like to service the air conditioning units but be aware as part of our renovation they will be upgraded. Also during the renovation refrigerators will be added to all guestrooms. The balcony's are not assessable due to the fact they are two (2) inches too wide. The balconies have not been assessable for the last ten years (when Omni owned it) but we hope as phase two of the renovation to have that remedied. Again sorry to hear about your stay and hope that if you ever visit Corpus again you will stop in to see the renovation.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Staff is very polite, place is clean and the view is beautiful. I do alot of traveling in my line of work and the front desk staff at this hotel will always great you with a smile and will always go out of there way to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Room Tip: Rooms ending with 23 have the best view of the Marina.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank David_G60927

Dear David G60927: Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor.com. We are happy to hear that your stay was enjoyable and that our staff take great care of you. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I booked this hotel for a stay during a conference. I'd stayed here several times before when it was the Omni, and it had steadily gone downhill over the last 20 years. But when I learned it had changed hands to Holiday Inn, I was excited to book, as I thought SURELY they had made renovations. Not! It was worse than ever! The carpet in the meeting room area has literally not been changed out in 20 years, and it's dirtier than ever! When I checked into my room, which I paid a ridiculously high price for (my own fault - I booked late - and it was a prime Corpus activity weekend), I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was pure 1970's, old and worn - just needed an avocado refrigerator, shag carpet, and a lava lamp, and I would have been an official time traveler! And the carpet was absolutely filthy! I had to wear flip flops the entire time. One of the selling points when I booked the room was a balcony. After walking out to take in the view and escape the 70's throwback, I promptly received a call from security saying they needed to come up and bolt the balcony door, as no one is allowed on the balconies -- and that's exactly what they did - city code, they said. Yet all the guests at the Omni hotel two buildings away were hanging out on their balconies the entire time I was there! My room had a pull out sofa bed, but there was no bedding for it in the room. When I called and asked for some, they told me it was in the closet. When I said there was none there, I was told to check again! What?! They finally agreed to bring some up. When it arrived . . . . 45 minutes later . . . . the kid who brought it said he liked my pedicure . . . . and appreciated it because he had a foot fetish! Seriously?! I'm at least old enough to be his mother, if not g'ma! On the plus side, he was one of only about three friendly employees I encountered while there! Unfortunately, he didn't bring pillows, so rather than set myself up for any other comments he might have should he be the delivery person next time, I decided to go to the front desk and get pillows myself. We're at 11:30 p.m., by now, and when I get downstairs, no one was at the front desk. Had to wait five minutes, and when she finally came from the back office, she was dressed as a cross between Neo and Trinity from The Matrix. Had just about as vivacious of an attitude as them, too. At least Keanu had a reason to be in a bad mood! The agent on the morning I checked out wasn't much better. I asked for a 1:00 p.m. checkout instead of noon to finish up a meeting at the conference I was attending, and she seemed to take great pleasure in telling me "no." She also seemed frustrated when I pointed out a billing error on my statement and asked for a new one. She said only the manager could do it. So, that sums up the bad, and it really is a shame, because the hotel is in a prime location. It could be very nice. The pool is still fairly nice, the fitness center isn't bad, and the restaurant is good. And the restaurant staff and servers during breakfast were efficient and polite. It would be great if another company would come in and make renovations so the hotel would be worth what people have to pay to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MichLanh
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear MichLanh: Thank you for your feedback. Feedback from our guests is invaluable in helping us to improve in areas and further strengthen our customer service. I am sorry that we failed you and assure you that your stay was not a typical one. Summer is peak season for us and room pricing is based on supply and demand. Our hotel is currently undergoing a complete renovation that will bring our rooms up to the high standards today's traveler demands. The balconies currently do not allow for access due to building code but we are planning to remedy that next year once the interior renovation is completed. Again I apologize for the service and accommodation failures and hope that you will give us another try once the renovation is complete.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

This hotel draws a large price for rooms, I don't see why? Lobby is renovated but that's where it ends! Rooms are barely cleaned and all fixtures show signs the 70s. Workout room much the same. Parking garage connected to the hotel which was nice but they charge $10 a day to park. No attendant, who's checking? Location must be the reason for the high cost, lets see, harbor is right across the but the homeless laying all around is fun to wade through. Not a place to walk at night. There is really nothing as far eatery's around. And the one's that are around there is nobody in them! That tells me something!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear maxepr1: We appreciate your feedback in regards to your stay. I am truly sorry that your stay was not up to both our high standards. I can appreciate the fact that our location did not meet your needs but as a downtown location with several other high end hotels located within blocks of the hotel it is a major draw with our sweeping views across the Marina and Bay as well as many local restaurants that are unique to Corpus located with walking distance. Our hotel is currently undergoing a major renovation that will bring the standards up to a 4 star resort. I hope that you will give us another try when you visit Corpus so you can see fist hand the great changes we have made.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We had a great experience while visiting over the 4th of July! We were able to check in a little early since our flight got in before check in. We had a junior suite and the room set up was great seeing as we have a one year old who goes to bed early, we were able to spend time in the sitting area while he slept. We also loved the view we overlooked the pool and the marina it was lovely. The staff was amazing with anything we asked for and catered to our every need.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maricia L

Dear MariciaL: We appreciate you letting us know about your stay here at the Holiday Inn Downtown Marina. We are glad that you were able to enjoy your room and it was suited to your needs. We strive to make sure that our guests leave happy and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed here for a weekend vacation & the hotel/staff was great! When we needed towels etc...we needed only to ask and they were promptly delivered to our room. Great indoor/outdoor pool(rooftop view) area(also includes a ping pong table) & nice gift shop. Didn't have a chance to visit the restaurant or bar so no comment there. The location is great just a short walk to the marina. Lots of places to sit and relax. Great view but the hotel does not give guests access to their balcony. Comfy beds, nice flat screen TV. Only complaint...small bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank esm78629

Dear esm78629: Thank you for letting us know about your recent visit. We are glad that you had such an enjoyable stay and got to enjoy our great location in downtown Corpus Christi. We hope to welcome you back the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

My daughter booked two adjoining rooms for arriving 7-10 and leaving 7-12. We were driving a RV and upon arrival staff helped us find a place to park and seemed helpful. We did not receive adjoining rooms as we requested which was disappointing but no deal breaker. The next day the 6 of us spent the day visiting the Lexington and the State Aquarium. We ate and made our way to the room tired and ready for a hot shower and rest. To our shock room service had forgot to clean and make our rooms ready. The grand kids and the adults had no clean towels for shower. We were informed that housekeeping was gone for the day and they were sorry but there was nothing they could do? Really a Holiday Inn could not make our rooms clean? We finally had to walk down and get some clean towels and a coupon for morning breakfast. Decided to take it up with the manager since customer service is supposed to be utmost of concern. It did not take long to find out that all we were offered was an apology with a veiled reference to us not being truthful. We are going to lodge an official complaint to see if Holiday Inn is a place we would stay in the future or this middle manager is indicative of the kind of treatment to expect when they do not deliver the service we would expect. I will follow up after we get a response.

Room Tip: As long as housekeeping does there job you should be ok. However if you have a problem I would not h...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Driller7293: I am sorry that your experience was not up to our usual high standards. Our housekeeping staff is instructed to service each and every room unless a Do Not disturb sign has been posted on the door. We also have housekeeping staff here until midnight every night to service any rooms that did have their do not disturb signage out once they return. I am glad that the desk provided you complimentary breakfast as our breakfast buffet is known for its selection. Please feel free to reach out to me personally Michael Cole 361-882-1700 so we may discuss this issue further. Thanks for the feedback.