“Great location, very nice and spacious”

Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We spent one night in a very spacious and clean room. Easy in and easy out and close to the attractions we wanted to attend. Bummer that I could not go out on the balcony as it was locked shut, but I would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matt C
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Matt C: Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Tripadvisor.com. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again when you visit Corpus Christi.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Once upon a time, this hotel carried the Omni name. While the lobby and common areas are nice and renovated, the rest of the hotel bears no resemblance to its past namesake.

The high point of the property is its staff. They're very nice, kind, and helpful. While service from the kitchen seemed to be extremely slow on the two occasions I ordered food, they made up for it with their kindness. And, the food was good.

The hallway on my floor should have been the first clue as to what I was about to walk into. Stained and frayed carpet, peeling paint, and sticky walls led me to my room. When I finally reached my room, it was disgusting for lack of a better word. The carpet was terribly stained--anywhere from large liquid/water stains to smaller items that had been ground into the carpet over time. I didn't dare walk barefoot on the carpet, and instead kept my flip flops within a foot's reach at all times. The walls were all scuffed and banged up, and the bathroom fixtures were extremely worn. Everything was sticky--from the hairdryer to the iron. I washed my hands a ridiculous amount of times from all the "grime" on all the surfaces.

My room looked like it had suffered some pretty hard partying/careless patrons over the years. All of the furniture was beat up, worn, and dirty--I honestly would have felt cleaner staying in a Motel 6. The high point in the entire room was the bed--it actually looked and felt clean, thank goodness. Needless to say, once I settled myself in my room, I didn't leave the safety/comfort of my bed unless I had to.

I will give praise where it is due--the bed was extremely comfortable, and despite the less than ideal room, I got a fantastic night's sleep. Unlike other Holiday Inns, this one's "firm" and "soft" pillows haven't turned into two uncomfortable lumpy masses.

The rooms also feature tiny balconies that are permanently locked. Apparently it's to help keep the moisture out of the hotel, but it does look rather silly to have a building full of useless balconies. Not that it was a big deal but more of an eccentric quirk.

For a downtown hotel--for a Holiday Inn--I expected a lot better. While this hotel might have been nice at one time, as evidenced by its 5-star amenities, it needs some serious capital improvements to be considered a nice hotel. Until they give this property a facelift, save yourself some money and stay at the Super 8 for a better value!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank geekcatnip
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear geekcatnip: Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. You feedback is invaluable in the continual effort to move the hotel forward. I would like to point out the distant life of this hotel being an Omni was a mere 6 months ago. The hotel just recently converted over to a Holiday Inn and is currently undergoing a 10 million dollar renovation that will make our hotel one of the best Corpus has to offer. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations but would like to discuss your stay in more detail. Please feel free to contact me at Michael.cole@himarina.com to discuss. Again thank you for taking the time and please know that the next time you visit Corpus out hotel will look truly outstanding.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We just arrived here today. The other Holiday Inn down the road on the beach was $200 a night, so we chose the other one for $160. No bellman was present to help with our bags. Parked in the $10 parking, got the cart myself and brought my bags up. You might want to think about increasing the parking space sizes. A lot of big trucks were crammed in the parking and getting around was hard. Anyway, on the room. I opened the door and noticed that the carpet was stained from the front to the back. I've seen cleaner carpet in $50 hotels in Panama City beach during Spring Break. And Corpus Christie is no Panama City Beach. Then I noticed that there wasn't a fridge in the room. I travel with medicine that has to be kept cold. I can't remember the last time a stayed in a hotel without a small fridge. Then I noticed the sofa had stains on it. The whole room is stained and worn out....kinda like Corpus Christie.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank BamaCrazy1
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear BamaCrazy1: Thank you for sharing your experience in regards to your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your accommodation was not up to standard. Most all of our rooms have had new carpet but there is handful left which we are deep cleaning until it arrives later in the month. Our hotel will be adding refrigerators to the rooms during the current renovation. Sorry for the parking issues as the hotel was hosting a conference where the attendees were farmers and so we had and usually high number of larger trucks in the parking garage. Again please accept my apologizes and hope you will give us another try when you return to Corpus.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

My 11-year old daughter and I stayed here for a quick mini-vacation. The service was excellent beginning at the valet all the way to the gift shop clerk. Our room was clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The location was great as we were within walking distance of several restaurants. The view of the marina was great. My only complaint wasn't their fault- it was the people racing motocross bikes down Shoreline Avenue. I could hear it clear as a bell all the way on the 10th floor. It wasn't a luxurious hotel, but it worked for what we needed- definitely a few steps above average! We had a great stay there, and we would stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lea R

Dear LeaR: We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and that you and your family had such a great time. We look forward to welcoming you back with you return to Corpus.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed here for three nights. Within the first 24 hours I was moved into and out of three rooms due to maintenance issues in the series of rooms they kept trying. Room #1 smelled of mildew. The AC in room #2 had two settings, off and arctic. In room #3 the AC barely worked at all until maintenance came up and fixed it. On the first day housekeeping failed to makeup the room. I expect the Best Western down the street would have been a more satisfactory choice of accommodations. As has been noted by others, none of the rooms I was shuffled among had 1) an in-room safe, 2) a refrigerator or 3) an operable balcony door (and no, I don't buy the city code nonsense either as I too observed people out on the balconies of the Omni.
On the positive side, the young man at front desk (I wish I could remember his name) was very helpful and almost apologetic as he helped me deal with dismaying room situation. The free wi-fi provided download speeds in excess of 35 mbs.
Next time in CRP, I will surely book elsewhere.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tupelo010835

Dear Tupelo010835: Thank you for your review of your stay. I am sorry that you had issues. During the peak season we are not able to get into as many rooms as we would like to service the air conditioning units but be aware as part of our renovation they will be upgraded. Also during the renovation refrigerators will be added to all guestrooms. The balcony's are not assessable due to the fact they are two (2) inches too wide. The balconies have not been assessable for the last ten years (when Omni owned it) but we hope as phase two of the renovation to have that remedied. Again sorry to hear about your stay and hope that if you ever visit Corpus again you will stop in to see the renovation.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Staff is very polite, place is clean and the view is beautiful. I do alot of traveling in my line of work and the front desk staff at this hotel will always great you with a smile and will always go out of there way to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Room Tip: Rooms ending with 23 have the best view of the Marina.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank David_G60927

Dear David G60927: Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor.com. We are happy to hear that your stay was enjoyable and that our staff take great care of you. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I booked this hotel for a stay during a conference. I'd stayed here several times before when it was the Omni, and it had steadily gone downhill over the last 20 years. But when I learned it had changed hands to Holiday Inn, I was excited to book, as I thought SURELY they had made renovations. Not! It was worse than ever! The carpet in the meeting room area has literally not been changed out in 20 years, and it's dirtier than ever! When I checked into my room, which I paid a ridiculously high price for (my own fault - I booked late - and it was a prime Corpus activity weekend), I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was pure 1970's, old and worn - just needed an avocado refrigerator, shag carpet, and a lava lamp, and I would have been an official time traveler! And the carpet was absolutely filthy! I had to wear flip flops the entire time. One of the selling points when I booked the room was a balcony. After walking out to take in the view and escape the 70's throwback, I promptly received a call from security saying they needed to come up and bolt the balcony door, as no one is allowed on the balconies -- and that's exactly what they did - city code, they said. Yet all the guests at the Omni hotel two buildings away were hanging out on their balconies the entire time I was there! My room had a pull out sofa bed, but there was no bedding for it in the room. When I called and asked for some, they told me it was in the closet. When I said there was none there, I was told to check again! What?! They finally agreed to bring some up. When it arrived . . . . 45 minutes later . . . . the kid who brought it said he liked my pedicure . . . . and appreciated it because he had a foot fetish! Seriously?! I'm at least old enough to be his mother, if not g'ma! On the plus side, he was one of only about three friendly employees I encountered while there! Unfortunately, he didn't bring pillows, so rather than set myself up for any other comments he might have should he be the delivery person next time, I decided to go to the front desk and get pillows myself. We're at 11:30 p.m., by now, and when I get downstairs, no one was at the front desk. Had to wait five minutes, and when she finally came from the back office, she was dressed as a cross between Neo and Trinity from The Matrix. Had just about as vivacious of an attitude as them, too. At least Keanu had a reason to be in a bad mood! The agent on the morning I checked out wasn't much better. I asked for a 1:00 p.m. checkout instead of noon to finish up a meeting at the conference I was attending, and she seemed to take great pleasure in telling me "no." She also seemed frustrated when I pointed out a billing error on my statement and asked for a new one. She said only the manager could do it. So, that sums up the bad, and it really is a shame, because the hotel is in a prime location. It could be very nice. The pool is still fairly nice, the fitness center isn't bad, and the restaurant is good. And the restaurant staff and servers during breakfast were efficient and polite. It would be great if another company would come in and make renovations so the hotel would be worth what people have to pay to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MichLanh
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear MichLanh: Thank you for your feedback. Feedback from our guests is invaluable in helping us to improve in areas and further strengthen our customer service. I am sorry that we failed you and assure you that your stay was not a typical one. Summer is peak season for us and room pricing is based on supply and demand. Our hotel is currently undergoing a complete renovation that will bring our rooms up to the high standards today's traveler demands. The balconies currently do not allow for access due to building code but we are planning to remedy that next year once the interior renovation is completed. Again I apologize for the service and accommodation failures and hope that you will give us another try once the renovation is complete.