“3.5 Stars”

Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina
Ranked #14 of 79 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed 12 November 2013

When we checked into the hotel, we were told that we were in a room with 2 double beds (6th floor), even though our reservations specifically said a king with a pull out. We were told that we were in the room we were in and there was nothing that could be done. We went to the room, and I proceeded to have one if the most terrible sleeps of my life.

I either shared a double bed with my 9 yo son or my 6'5 husband. I chose my son. Not only is sleeping with him like sleeping with a pile of snakes, there was a terrible smell in the room - chemicals or paint - something along those lines that made me feel so sick all night long.

I went to the front desk the next morning and showed them our reservation, told them about the smell, and they were more than happy to move us! We finally got into the room that we had made the reservation for! It was very comfortable, very nice. The only problem I had was that it overlooked the marina and the pool, and the doors to the deck were locked. I figured they were worried about a college student there on spring break jumping from the deck into the pool.

When we pulled out the pull out from the couch, there was a large bleach stain on the mattress, indicating to me that staff had tried to bleach out the accident. I asked for a new mattress, but they didn't have any, however, they did bring us a rollaway bed.

The restaurant was pretty good (I'm not a foodie - as long as it isn't terrible and fills me up, I'm good), the staff in the morning much more on the ball than the staff at night.

I know they are going through renovations, so to me this felt like a hotel that has a lot of potential, but the staff hasn't quite been given all the tools need to make it work. I think this will be a great hotel in the very near future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Wendy_R973: Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. I am sorry that you did not get the room type you had requested. I understand how uncomfortable it can be to have to share beds. We are in the process of undergoing a multi million dollar renovation that will correct the condition issues you had. We are glad that you enjoyed the dining room as it is a local favorite. We hope to see you again when you visit Corpus Christi.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Overall this is a decent hotel- convenient to nearby restaurants and waterfront. There's really nothing else nearby to walk to (like a grocery store or pharmacy) but that's more of a rant against downtown Corpus Christi itself. The service was good, I found the staff to be quite helpful. However, the windows are pretty dreadful- it was windy and I woke up in the middle of the night to a noise that sounded like a banshee. The window was vibrating from the wind and I had to push furniture against it to get the noise to stop.

Room Tip: While the upper levels on the bay side give a nice, if it's windy it is very loud.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear BJL79: Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown Marina. I am sorry that you had issues with the windows in your room. Our engineering staff has been instructed to check every room to insure they are properly insulated so that they do not produce the vibration you had. The downtown area is full of a lot of local restaurants and nightclubs well within walking distance. I hope that on your return visit you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Flew in from the northeast for a wedding and I was pleased. Didn't expect too much but found the place to be clean, remodeled, and friendly staff.the surrounding area is nice with many options for dining as well. Overall, greatly recommend it

• Stayed: October 2013
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Jcg0305: Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor.com. We are glad that you had a good time while visiting Corpus Christi and enjoyed your stay. Being a downtown hotel we have many dining options just beyond our front doors as well as our own Coastline Bistro. We hope to see you again should you ever visit Corpus Christi again.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Holiday Inn only because the Omni was sold out. There was no one around to valet park my car or to assist with luggage. The front desk personnel did not immediately greet guests and were slow. I asked for a renovated room since the reviews indicated only part of the hotel has been renovated. There was quite a mess in the hallway as they were changing out furniture and lamps in some rooms. It was obvious the hallway carpets and curtains were old as they were stained and worn.
The room was clean with comfortable bedding, but the furniture is rather cheap and the flat screen TV is small. The box springs are not covered and there are no homey touches such as a throw pillow on the chair. There is no refrigerator in the room, but they brought me one and just plugged it in next to the desk. The bathroom floor was dirty next to the tub. There is a coffee maker in the bathroom, which seemed odd to me. There are no glasses or mugs provided, only paper and plastic cups. The balcony door is locked shut, which was very disappointing on a beautiful day.
The best things about the hotel are the location, which is close to the courthouses downtown, the breakfast in the lobby restaurant, and the nice bar and seating areas in the lobby. Families with children will also like the large pool.
This hotel needs to finish these renovations and focus more on providing good service. Unlock the balcony doors, greet guests, and provide a few welcoming touches in the rooms. Ask for a room on the south (marina) side as the north side faces an office building.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the marina side and request a high floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lori H
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear Lori H: Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us in regards to your stay. I am sorry that the "little things" let your stay down but I assure you the multi-million dollar renovation will fix all issues you addressed. While we have started the renovation we obviously had not reached the floor you were on. We hope that once the renovation is completed you will return to see al the improvements we have made.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

A warm welcome greeted our arrival, having parked at the adjacent car-park. Parking is charged at $10 per day, $15 for valet. The car park can be used by no-residents, but dedicated hotel-only spaces are reserved.
I had requested a refrigerator for the room when booking, as this was not an "as standard" room facility, and was required to store prescription medication. I was advised that would be arranged in advance, but was not in our room when we got to it, despite mentioning the pre-arrangement at check-in. We contacted hotel reception 2 further times before a mini-fridge was finally delivered over two hours later. We were not charged for this addition.
The room itself was clean, although a little tried here and there, and perhaps yet to be fully refurbished : - a very comfortable king-size bed, flat-screen TV, a desk to work at if required. Free Wi-Fi was provided. The bathroom was compact but adequate.
This property is currently being refurbished, but this did not really impact on our 2-night stay. We experienced a couple of issues with room key-cards not working fully, but these were easily rectified. Staff were all very friendly, and our request to freeze a travel-pack, again for management of the aforementioned medication, was accepted without question. The location of the hotel is good, with places to eat and drink being nearby.
For the rate we paid, I can't really complain, although the time and efforts required to be equipped with the pre-booked refrigerator, and the current condition of some areas of the hotel yet to be refurbished, does prevent me awarding this hotel an excellent rating, at the current time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WhiteBuffalo13
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear WhiteBuffalo13: Thank for the review. As noted we are undergoing a complete renovation but it is kept out of the sight of our guests as much as possible. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and service we offer as we strive each and everyday to provide our guests with the best experience possible. With the upgrades that are in progress it will only make things better. Thanks again for the review.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Visit for convention, great location and service. Starbucks in lobby opened @ 6 with muffins & tacos to go with coffee. Room was very comfortable, quiet, and dark. Hospitable staff very accomadible. swimming pool was good & bar at pool was even better. Will stay here again first choice! Also want to thank staff for extending rate for extra day. Very very very nice place & people

Room Tip: rooms at end of hallway quieter
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear HoyleH: Thanks for the review of your recent stay. We are glad that you enjoyed our lobby coffee shop "Coffee and More" as well as the rooftop pool and cabana bar. We hope that you will tell your friends about your wonderful experience. Thanks again for the review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on several occassions and everytime I have stayed there, i have enjoyed my stay. It has not always been a HI previously it was an Omni Hotel. Maybe it just started out as excellent, well it still is excellent. I plan on staying there again this coming week end.

Room Tip: we liked staying in a room that face the Marina that has a balcony, it overlooked the whole marina...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Charles156

Dear Charles156: Thank you for your review. We appreciate your continued loyalty to our hotel after the recent conversion from the Omni. Thanks for commenting on the wonderful views on offer of the Marina and Bay. Thanks again for the review and continued loyalty.