“Not worth it”

Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina
Ranked #12 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The view is great.

Thats where the positives stop. Was here on business. Walls are thin. First night I could hear the neighbors TV quite loudly, as well as conversation until about 1am. I was tired enough to not deal with requesting a room change. This noise was in addition to the constant drag racing from street bikes and honda civics running up and down shoreline blvd. Rooms have very little outside soundproofing so road noise is loud. While the rooms all have balconies, guests are not permitted to take advantage of them, and the sliding glass doors (with aforementioned lack of soundproofing) are permanently locked.

Second night (SUNDAY! at 8pm) they were doing construction on the floor directly above me. Not sure why they were renovating on a sunday night that late, but the intermittent drilling noise was inhibiting my ability to have a phone conversation. I requested a room change, and they set me up in the same level of room on a different floor. Seriously? Construction this late on a sunday?

Furniture is worn out, bathrooms are clean enough. TV is actually really nice, tons of good channels, wifi is fast. No mini fridge is a big downfall in my book.

I'm used to staying in hotels that are much worse than this, but for the money, this is totally not worth it. I would rather stay somewhere newer for $150/night. 2/5 stars is well deserved based on my experience. Poor performance. Would not recommend.

I will be staying in hotels at least four weeks in CC over the next two months. I would have gladly stayed here for the duration, but I will seek somewhere new tomorrow based on this experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Bozemanskier: Thank you for letting us know about your recent visit to our hotel. I am truly sorry that it did not meet your expectations. I deeply apologize for the noise from the renovations we are currently working late into the night due to time demands. The tired rooms you are speaking of are the last rooms to be completed in the new renovation. We do not offer fridges and microwaves in the rooms but they are on offer by calling the front desk and our housekeeping staff will be happy to deliver them directly to your room. Please reach out to me personally via the hotel at extension 3640 so we may discuss your stay in further detail. Again thank you for sharing.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We have been coming here since it was a Marriott in 1984. The hotel has been an Omni and now a HI property. The hotel is undergoing renovation and appears near completion. Facilities are nice and the whole pool area is a outstanding in warmer months with expansive bay views. The new remodeled rooms are clean & nice with a large HD TV and nice furniture. View is excellent on Marina side (ask for this). Room amenities are adequate. Beds are comfortable. Got advance purchase $119.00 rate which was about right. Hard to pay more in January. Extra $10.00 daily charge if you bring a car (parking is covered). Borrowed cart checking in to bring up luggage, but had to use bellman to leave Sunday morning (no bid deal), just curious why not there all the time. Restaurant was open and food prices appeared reasonable and fare seemed decent, but did not try. Bar open and also looked nice, but again, did not try. I definitely recommend this hotel based on value, view, location and price. In two or so months, renovations should all be in place. The neighboring Omni may be more upscale, but it's kind of detached with not quite the views and a forgettable pool area. Also, it's more expensive. Book this property with confidence.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear James R: Thanks you for taking time to let us know about your recent stay with us. We are glad that you had the opportunity to use our outstanding pool located on the 3rd floor, it truly is one of the best pools in the entire area. Our bell staff are located at the main entrance and on occasion have to make periodic runs to the airport and valet cars so I apologize they were not available upon arrival. Thank you again for leaving your review on Tripadvisor.com and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 3 days and the place was gorgeous awesome view of the marina. Would like to give special. Kudos to front desk Agent Denver and Jessica were great will stay again. Never be to corpus before but will visit agsin

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Peter P: Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience in regards to your recent stay with us. Thank you for recognizing our outstanding front desk agents Denver and Jessica and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Wife and I spent four nights here after Christmas. Stayed in room 1823. Beautiful view of the marina, boats and lights. The hotel has been renovated and is bright and clean. Found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Checked out a couple of days early only because bad weather arrived. Really pleasant stay.

Room Tip: The rooms ending in "23" will give you a great view of the marina.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear BlueInKansas: Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor.com. You are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you noticed we are undergoing a major renovation making our hotel one of the best Corpus Christi has to offer. We look forward to your return visit soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

My family stayed her over thanksgiving holidays just to get away for a few days. We had an awesome time navigating around the area and hanging out at hotel bar with Michelle and Phillip. They are quite comical and just plain ole friendly. Food was great both room service and dine in. They also had an AWESOME thanksgiving brunch with salmon, NY strip, and other prime meats served by and carved upon request.

My 10'yr old enjoyed the indoor-outdoor pool and the staff joked around with him which was fun.

I will admit the hotel is a bit won but they are undergoing renovations and are working to correct those issues. I would visit again if only for the friendly staff and the great treatment. I felt very much appreciated her.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank virtualdebra
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Virtualdebra: Thank you letting us know about your recent stay with us over the Thanksgiving Holiday. We are happy to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay and got to enjoy all our amenities and our brand new Thanksgiving Brunch. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

My family had a wonderful Thankssgiving Dinner at the new Holiday Inn in Corpus Christi. The food was excellent, service was attentive, and we all had a wonderful holiday. The hotel was formally an Omni and is being refurbished. The staff does an excellent job. I highly recommend the hotel and dining.

R. Browning Nov 28, 2013

Room Tip: The rooms are being renewed starting at the upper floors and working down.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear RobertB: Thank you for sharing your experience with us at our Thanksgiving Brunch. This was our first one it what will be an annual event for us. You will be happy to know that we are also going to host an Easter and Mothers Day brunch as well. Thank you again for sharing your wonderful experience and we look forward to you returning.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I write this review from the point of staying at hotels over 200 times per year and being a platinum member now and for years with IHG properties. This hotel has the rudest staff and the nastiest rooms I have ever stayed in and is just not acceptable. The carpet in my room is almost black and must date back 30 years when this was a Marriott hotel. This was a class hotel back then and now it is just nasty and IHG should pull the franchise. The rooms stinks and is just outdated and no one at this hotel although I have been nice will speak to me about the problem. Have you ever checked in and had the check in person not utter one word. Around 1030pm for the first time in my life I had a totally silent check in. This male front desk clerk once I handed him my IHG visa and ID said not one word and I am a platinum member and paying top dollar for what I thought was an upgraded remodeled room. Calls to this hotel promised this. My wife will not take her socks off because the room is so nasty. Shame on you manager and Shame on IHG and I am happy there are other hotel holding companies that want my business because in 30 years of travel I have not seen such a bad situation in hotel management.

Room Tip: Start looking at hotels owned by other than IHG. Look at newer hotels and find out how new they are...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobertSummers
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Mr. Summers: Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize for the service and the condition of your guest room carpeting. As you may not be aware this hotel was an Omni until February 1 when Holiday Inn took over. The room you received is pre renovation as we are working our way down from the 20th floor. Our front desk staff is currently undergoing IHG customer service training and the older rooms are currently having the carpets cleaned until they are renovated. Condition is not always indicative of management as there are many variables involved but we are sincerely sorry for your experience and hope that you will give us another try when you visit Corpus Christi.