“Not very good - better places close by” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina

Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina
Ranked #19 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Austin, Texas
“Not very good - better places close by”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I booked this hotel as an award stay. My relationship with IHG... I normally stay at the Intercontinental Hotel in Toronto. I've racked up some points recently. We had been staying in North Padre for the past 4 days. I decided to break up our week stay in Corpus to use the awards for one of the nights. I thought it would be fun to be in the city instead of North Padre.

The 1st issue: I called the hotel at 11 am to see if I could get an earlier check-in. The person working the desk said, "Yes you can. You're room is actually ready now." My check-out time where I was staying was 3 PM. We could have easily stayed and moved later. However, I thought it might be fun to play and explore around the Bay so we packed up where we were staying and headed over.

When we arrived a guy was at the desk with a "front desk supervisor" tag. I let him know I was there to check-in. He said I couldn't because check-in was at 4 PM. I explained my earlier call and he was rude and kept saying, "check-in is at 4 PM" over and over. I explained I understood that but I called in advance. He repeated himself. A woman then walked over and said, " her room is ready, see" and pointed at the screen. He told her it was dirty and told me to come back at 4. I was frustrated but took my son to the Bay and did some exploring.

At 2:30 we headed back so I could ask for access to the guest laundry. Before I could say a word the desk supervisor jerk said, "check-in was at 4 PM." Great, I know you keep telling me... can I do laundry? He was nice enough to give me a key.

I did laundry and let my son play in the pool (only real nice amenity besides the laundry facility).

At 3:45 laundry was done so we went downstairs to wait. We were sitting in the lobby with our laundry, luggage, etc. waiting until 4. A guy I haven't seen before was behind the desk. He asked if I needed help. I told him I was waiting until 4 to check-in. He asked for my and did a search. He said, "you are more than welcome to check-in. Your room has been ready for a while." WHAT???

So we check-in and get upstairs.

Issue two: We had the king suite with the balcony. When I reserved the room it said my suite had a balcony. When I actually get in the room there is a sticker on the balcony that states they are no longer accessible.

Issue three: My son immediately plopped down on the couch while I unpacked a few necessities. I walked in the bathroom in disgust. There is poop all over the toilet seat. I know my son didn't use the bathroom yet. Besides, he's old enough to not do that. Neither of us had walked in the bathroom yet. So how did the cleaning crew miss that or was the desk supervisor haunting me?? Who knows. It was disgusting.

Issue four: At some point during the night the A/C stopped working. I didn't want anyone in my room at 4 AM trying to fix it so we dealt with it. Anyone knows what if feels like in a high humid area to lose your A/C and not have access to fresh air. We were checking out in the morning anyway.

Was this room worth 20K of my award points? No. I was checked-in to the hotel for a total of 15 hours. I had to deal with a really unprofessional front desk supervisor. I had poop on the toilet seat in my room, my A/C stopped working and the balconies no longer exist.

It sucked. I will never stay here again and I will probably start staying at the Hyatt in Toronto instead of anything IHG related. The supervisor guy pretty much ruined my image of the IHG chain. He wasn't just rude to me. He was rude to the people working with him that challenged my room availability.

I should add, the woman on the phone the day I checked-in was working the desk that morning. She offered me 5,000 of my points back. She seemed to be the only one who cared or even attempted to fix the issues. So I got 5K of my 20K back. Waa'freakin'hoo

Room Tip: none of the rooms actually have working balconies anymore.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank susanhtx
Ross R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and being a valued IHG Reward member. I hope you enjoyed your visit to the Downtown area. I do apologize for the confusion on the early check-in as we do try to get everyone in the hotel early as long as we have the availability and will address this with the front desk.

I trust your son enjoyed the pool area and hope that you found the laundry facility convenient. I apologize for the balcony not being accessible and will address the bathroom issue with our housekeeping department. We are addressing the A/C issue and should have this resolved next week.

I will speak with the supervisors at the desk and hope this does not alter your feelings of all IHG properties.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I did check in today witch is August 15/2014

The location is good with a bay view from the corner

They charged for parking $15 witch is not really bad but the main concern is the Mold every where specially in the bathroom and shower area !

The shower faucet is very old and the bathroom is the mess and very old!

This should be Maximum 2 Star Hotel in they update the bathroom and shower !

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
1 Thank Ghahestani
Thank your for your recent stay and comments. Due to being a downtown property and being near the marina and the city events that take place, we do have to charge for parking to make sure that we have enough parking for our over night guests. I do apologize for the inconvenience of having to do this. We are still remodeling the rooms and actually have it planned to start the bathrooms next month. I hope you return in the near future to see the changes that we have made.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The valet greeted us and was very nice and answered some questions about the area. The girl checking us in was friendly, but it seemed a little forced. We had booked a double queen with an ocean view and to my disappointment, we were given a side room where you could look out sideways and see water, but in my opinion, this type room should be listed as a 'partial oven view', and therefore I believe we didn't get the room we paid for. As we only stayed one night, complaining wasn't worth it. I called down for a mini refrigerator and was told there would be a $10 charge! We are gold status (and have been platinum several times) and have NEVER paid for a fridge at any ICG hotel we've stayed at. Disappointing. The balcony doors don't open and it was explained it was to help control the mold, humidity, rooms, etc... which makes perfect sense because it really is hard to keep ocean front properties smelling good instead of musty, but it's still disappointing to not be able to access your balcony. This wouldn't have bothered me as much had I had a full view of the ocean. The bartenders poured average drinks. The free mango water in the lobby was tasty. Overall, it was all right, but I will probably try another hotel on our next trip down.

Room Tip: If you've paid for an ocean view room, ensure at check in that it's a full oven view and not...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CulinaryExplorer50
Ross R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for your recent stay. I apologize that we did not have the view that you had expected but our rooms do only have bay views of the Marina or the Harbor bridge. I will discuss with our Front Desk staff regarding your IHG Rewards status and the charge for the fridge. I do apologize for the balconies and thank you for your understanding of our situation here on the coast. We do hope that you visit us again on your next visit.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

These guys are great. They took care of my family and our reservation even though orbitz got it all wrong. The hotel is better than most conventional holiday inns. The location on the marina is the absolute best. This hotel is an asset to the downtown area. Renovations will make this even better.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your recent stay. We do our best to treat every reservation the same regardless where it came from. We look forward to your next visit.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

It's not smart to come to corpus on a summer weekend without a reservation. Yet we did. After stopping at a dozen hotels we finally reached this high rise holiday inn at 1:00 am. The guy at the desk said there were some cancellations but we would have to wait. He tried calling what appeared to be guests and finally said he had one room. The price though reasonable was the least of my concern. In few minutes I had my car valet parked and I was in the room. It smelled as though it was just renovated. Clean room with an awesome view. With room service, restaurant and bar this seemed like an upscale hotel experience to me. The pool was awesome. Part indoor and part outdoor. Overall great stay. Make sure you book ahead of time.

Room Tip: Book ahead of time. Great downtown location by the water.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank fabiola g
Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate the wonderful comments and are glad that we were able to accommodate you with a room. I will share your comments with our staff.
Hebbronville, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Very disappointed expected to have an excellent stay. arrived @ 7 could not get into room till around 10PM computers were crashing. I wasn't the only one waiting about 20 others were also. need to update computers and booking system. very small rooms, balcony no access, mold inside ice machine and partially open with ice scoop handle tied with a wire left inside. bathroom dirty, Our room had someone socks left in it, carpet & tub dirty. Dirty in and out of building. I do not think I will ever stay here again. Save your money you are better off staying at a motel than at this hotel. OVERPRICED & UNDERKEPT HOTEL

Room Tip: Save your money you are better off staying at a motel than at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Richard M
Ross R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your recent stay. I do apologize for our system being down that evening and we are coming up with a process if this occurs we will be better prepared. Technology is great but never great when its not available. Our rooms are 420 square feet and are above the industry standard of 325 square feet. We do secure the balcony access to help reduce the humidity in the rooms to make them comfortable for current and future guests. We are still undergoing a renovation to improve our product for our guests.
Texas City, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

First off you have this place being renovated but I stayed in an renovated room and was highly underwhelmed. They painted, brought in new furniture and linens, but redid parts of the bathroom. The tub had big black cracks around drain and they did not update the tile surround. I was in a double room yet only got shampoo and stuff for one. You can see were they painted and while hanging the headboard knocked dents in wall and did not repaint it. My room TV did not work. I went to front desk to ask about it but staff was to busy openly cursing at each over, so I watch my streamed videos on my laptop. The hallways by guest rooms are all dirty, smell like mold and bleach to cover the mold. I fixed my rooms shower head since it was clogged with calcium deposits. They would pick up towels only if you left them in bathroom. Some days they would make the bed and other they would not. The staff when they would bring things to your rooms were very nice but the front desk staff is very rude. They set up most of our conference in the wrong rooms, recycled food from one meal to next, and the room was as cold as a freezer. The chef is very nice but rest of wait staff is less than helpful. No way I would stay here with a group again.

Room Tip: shut blackout curtain or you with hear both street and boat traffic.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank babymains
Ross R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Than you for your recent stay and providing us with your comments. Our tub surrounds in the bathroom will be redone, but is not scheduled until about September/October. We do provide bath amenities for each room and are more than happy to replenish as often as needed. I will discuss the issue with the desk staff cursing with each other as this is totally unacceptable. Once we complete our bathroom renovations, then we have plans to focus on the hallways as we do not want to damage new items in the hallways while transferring material for the bathrooms. I assure you that we do not recycle our food from one event to the next as this is a health code violation and would not be acceptable by us or the city health department.