“Disgusting”

Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi
Ranked #10 of 79 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

SEWER GAS!!!!! That's right, they know about it, and when the wind is out of a certain direction, it can affect 50 rooms. We're not talking about a mildly irritating odor, we are talking instant loss of stomach contents. ...NO EXAGGERATION! The assistant manager told me today that the problem has existed since the building was finished 7 years ago. MCR Development, LLC, the property owners from NYC refuse to spend the money to fix it. The general manager, Barb Israel, knows about it but has not shut the rooms down for occupancy. This is DANGEROUS gas levels. NO WAY will I ever be back. Shame on Hiltons for allowing this type of problem to persist.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dan S
BLIsrael, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. I am sorry you had such an experience at our hotel. I would like to invite you to contact me again so that I might help you to gain a more accurate understanding of the issue. As we explained to you earlier, we are located next to a city lift station which, at times, releases a mild unpleasant odor. Unfortunately, this is common in Corpus Christi, and even more unfortunate, there is nothing that can be done about it. This unusual smell only makes its way to our hotel when the wind is blowing in a certain direction, which is usually in the late fall and through the winter months. However, it can make its way to us in early Spring as it obviously did the night you stayed. When this occurs, it only affects 8 rooms, and during these times we do close down those rooms. The odor is in no way harmful, if that were the case noone would live in Corpus Christi. There is a large hospital just on the other side of us, as well as an upscale apartment complex just behind us, both having been here for years as well. Our guests are usually never even aware when these few rooms are affected. Again, I encourage you to contact me if you would like to discuss this further.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn at Corpus Christi was very pleasant.The staff was extremely helpful with directions and recommending places.Jade assisted me in loading my belongings at check-out and refused to take a tip.All of the staff was friendly and helpful.The hotel was very clean and attractive.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for writing a review of our wonderful hotel. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Jade is just one of the amazing staff members we have who will alwyas go out of their way to assure our guests have the best sstay possible. I am also happy to hear how much you enjoyed how beautiful and clean our hotel is. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Corpus christi.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel 2 years ago and loved it so much that I chose to stay there again from 4/1/14 to 4/7/14. I definitely will NOT be staying there again. I paid for my stay using the advance purchase option to get a better a rate. I booked my reservation on 3/8/14. On Friday, 3/14/14, I got a phone call from the manager at the Hilton, Gabriel Jimenez. He informed me that he believed my debit card may have been charged twice. I logged in to my bank account and saw that I had been charged an additional $731.00. Since it was a weekend he wasn't able to get the money released back to me until Monday, 3/17/14. I was without that money, which I needed for a weekend trip that I was suppose to take. For my inconvenience Gabriel said he would give me and my guest free breakfast for our entire stay and upgrade us to a suite. I would have preferred a partial refund but was willing to accept his offer being that he said it was a "fluke" incident. I arrived at the hotel on April 1, 2014 and was told that they saw that I was suppose to get a suite but that they had none available. I told the desk attendant the situation and she told me that Gabriel would be in on April 2. I told her that I had to leave the hotel early in the AM and wouldn't be back until after business hours. She made no attempt to have Gabriel call me to discuss the situation. I got into my room and the AC was off so the room was extremely warm and the deadbolt on the door didn't work. When I returned to the hotel on 4/2 I asked if Gabriel was there. The desk attendant (different from the previous day) said he was gone but believed he would be back that day. She took down my phone number and offered to have him call me. I was leaving to go have dinner that night and the same desk attendant saw me and said that Gabriel was by the hotel bar. I saw Gabriel standing behind the bar conversing with two guests that we're sitting there. I approached him and asked if I could speak with him privately. I introduced myself and told him the multiple issues that I had already had. He made multiple excuses about the suite not being available and said that he would get me into "the best room in the hotel" tomorrow and offered me free dinner for the night. I told him that I already had dinner plans. He told me that he would give me free dinner another night and some free drinks at the bar but never followed through with that. On 4/3 I was able to get into "the best room in the hotel". Apparently the best room in the hotel is a handicap accessible room that is right next to the utility room and would start making banging sounds at 6 am every morning. I spoke with Gabriel about my frustrations and he made more excuses. He never offered to give a partial refund for my stay despite multiple flyers around the hotel saying that your satisfaction was guaranteed or you didn't pay. I come to Corpus Christi every year or two and I told Gabriel I would not be staying at this hotel ever again. On top of the management issues, the beds were extremely uncomfortable and didn't work as advertised (they claim you can adjust the firmness). The pool was dirty and had paper, plastic bags, and leaves floating in it. I will say the breakfast and breakfast staff were VERY good! The good news, there's a Hyatt place and a marriott going in right next to this hotel that I can stay at in the future!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
BLIsrael, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. I am sorry you had the experience you did while staying with us. As you can tell by all of the wonderful reviews we receive, your experience is not typical of our hotel. I am happy that we were able to get the issue with your credit card taken care of so quickly and that we were able to get you into one of our largest rooms with free breakfast. I am not sure what noise you heard at 6am each morning since we do not start cleaning guest rooms until 8:30, but I will look into it and I thank you for bringing it my attention. I was pleased to have heard from our Chief Engineer who said he spoke to you several times at the pool telling him and how nice the pool was and how much you were enjoying your stay. I hope you will decide to stay with us again on your next visit to Corpus Christi.

Barbara Israel

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was my first stay in a Hilton Garden Inn, and compared with others from Hilton chain, specially for the price that I paid, my impression was not good at all...next time, I will try other brand from the same chain

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
BLIsrael, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. Hotel prices in Corpus Christi can get a little higher than in surrounding areas during Spring Break and the summer months. We are not a limited service hotel but rather a full service hotel. We hope you will try us again and take advantage of the full service amenities we offer out guests.

Barbara Israel

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The facility and it's amenities are very nice and convenient. Very few and minor complaints of cleanliness, over all I would definitely stay again. I booked this previously for my wedding guests/party and we got a special rate and were accomodated accordingly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
BLIsrael, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for writing a review of our wonderful hotel. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel to be clean and accomodating. I agree we do have fantastic amenities and I am so glad you were able to enjoy them. I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Corpus Christi.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Upon our arrival, we checked in by the agent in charge that afternoon. She was fast and efficient, polite and a with a great attitude. We had taken two rooms that we were lucky to find, all Corpus was booked due to several events going on that weekend. Our room was great, A/C worked great, Internet, and TV. the other room, on 3rd. floor was for handicap, smelled like smoke and the A/C did not work properly, but we did not complain, because everything else was perfect. The personal was excellent, and very ready to assist you. Our overall experience was great. I recommend the Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for writing a review of our wonderful hotel. I am so happy to hear of exceptional guest service you received during your recent stay. I agree with you, our staff is truely amazing and they all have a true "heart for hospitality" and it shows in the way they care about every guest. I wish I had known about your second room on the 3rd floor, which is our smoking floor because we could possibly have moved your room. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Corpus Christi.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We just stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Corpus Christi and it was really nice. I am sure that it has not been opened long and they are building a restaurant within walking distance to the hotel. In the future this will be an added bonus. The staff and service was excellent. No problems at all! They even allowed us to stay until 2:00p.m. as we had a wedding to attend at 5:00p.m. Everything is still very new, clean and in working order. The nice refreshments table looked very profession and inviting. Thanks for the nice one night stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
BLIsrael, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for writing a review of our beautiful hotel. I agree with you, we have an amazing staff and a beautifully clean hotel. I am so happy we that we were able to arrange for a late check out for you. I hope to see you again on your next visit to Corpus Christi.