“First time less than expected at a Candlewood”

Candlewood Suites Extended Stay
Ranked #43 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Mirabel, Qc
“First time less than expected at a Candlewood”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have so always been satisfied staying at other Candlewood in the past that I didn't even bother reading any reviews on TA before making my reservation. I should have...
We stayed at 4 different Candlewood during our trip in Texas and they were all very good... this one was just correct... more of a "Motel 6" standards.
Check-in and check-out was correct but not as friendly and welcoming as the other 3 Candlewood, not even close.
The room was clean for the bed and bathroom but the chair was so dirty (we could see they tried to clean it but it didn't work) it was good for the garbage, really!
The kitchen really needs to be refurbish with ustensiles, plates, etc... we never expect much from hotel kitchens but there is a minimum to maintain at least.
The rooms around us were loud, I can't call it a quiet hotel.
Had to refer to front desk for a couple things and I don't think they could look like they cared less.
There is 2 propane grill outside. They need attention, they were dirty ++.
Didn't use the pool but it looked clean.
Good location to Padre Island National Seashore (1/2 hour drive).
PS: If you read my other reviews, you'll notice I don't rate hotels I stayed in 3/5 very often...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ben0844
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Extended Stay, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Ben0844,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Round Rock, Texas, United States
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We always look for Candelwood suites when we travel because we have food allergies and need a space to prepare meals. Up until now they have always been nice places to stay. This one, however, was terrible! The tub had hairs and rust and no drain plug, the cabinets were falling apart, the carpet was beyond filthy, and the furniture was stained, ripped, and falling apart. The front desk attendants were unhelpful. I asked them to look up my priority rewards number and was told they "could only do it if I had my card with the number on it." Errr, that was kind of the point. And they weren't the least bit sorry about not helping, either. What a gross place. Never again. Oh, and I almost forgot about the large, constantly barking dog in the room next to mine that went crazy anytime anyone walked down the hallway. If Candlewood had any sense they would take their name off this place as it is surely causing them to lose customers. I know I'll probably never stay in one again!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sarah M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Extended Stay, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Sarah M,

Ben J

Travellers are raving about these Corpus Christi hotels

Charleston
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently and was not impressed. the staff was very friendly and helpful. the hotel is showing its age, especially in the rooms. I was disappointed that there is not daily room service. The carpets were very dirty as evidenced by my white socks turning black from walking on the carpets. I had hoped that the Candlewood Suites would be a quality place to stay. Although I did get a good nights rest, I do not plan to stay here again. I just do not feel that I received my moneys worth.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rick S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Extended Stay, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear RICK S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am happy with your positive feedback on our hotel staff. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry to hear that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your standards in particular the condition of your room. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. We take all reviews very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Lera P
Baytown, Texas
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Went to vacation to Corpus Christi with my wife and three kids. Upon entering the hotel, a wall of musty and stale odor greeted me. Although we usually stay at Staybridge, it was book for the particular time I wanted. I chose Candlewood and what a mistake. The first room they gave us had the previous guests undershirt wrapped within the comforter. They gave us a new room which was clean, but it had frozen food in the freezer. That made us second guess the quality control of their cleaning staff. The front desk staff was pleasant to work with, but this was the first and last time I'll stay at Candlewood.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Julie A, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Extended Stay, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
We want to thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback concerning your most recent stay at Candlewood Suites. I want to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced while staying with us. Our engineering and housekeeping teams have both been addressed and made of aware of the issues that arose during your stay. We will be diligently working to ensure that our team delivers the highest quality and standards to our guests. Again, we appreciate your feedback as it offers an opportunity to grow and improve. It is our hope that next time you visit the Corpus area that you will stay with us again.
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My initial view of the hotel was a positive one after checking to candlewood suites the customer service was pleasant and the hotel was clean and the looked to be in good order. The next day of our stay a older colored lady with an attitude problem harassed me after I passed by the front desk on my way out to walk my dog in the morning. This older colored lady stopped me and began to harass me about my dog asking what room was in and if I new there was fee for me having my dog in the hotel. I told her that I was aware that there was fee and that I did tell the staff that I had my pet with me when I checked in the day before. She checked my info on the computer and said it showed nothing about me notifying that had a pet so I told her that its not my fault I don't work behind the counter. She then told me that she would document it on my account and charge me for the pet deposit. The whole time that this conversation was going on she had a sarcastic tone of voice and a very unfriendly look on her face so beware shes a nag and has attitude problem. The Hotel in whole was good the only other problem that I had with the place is it had an unusual amount of video surveillance cameras all over the hotel in my hallway alone going to our room there was like five or six cameras. I can appreciate security but that was a little creepy for me it makes me wonder if something bad happened there or if its in a bad part of town.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Extended Stay, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Richard G,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service provided by our front desk which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Still looking for our new datenight spot, we thought we'd try Candlewood. The rooms were as clean as they could get, little things like stained carpet and hole from relocated hinges made me twinge as I work in the industry.. I was so impressed with you open the microwave and BAM an empty bowl and a pkg of popcorn to fill it! So impressed.. I had trouble logging into internet, frontdesk wouldn't give me password as room was under husband's name but once I got on it worked fine.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Laredo, Texas
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I Travel frequently for business, and stay at this Hotel 3 or 4 times per month, the rooms are clean the staff is friendly...It is a home away from home with a full sized refrigerator, microwave and a stove including cooking utensils and dishes. The outside pool area is great !! with a BBQ area that has multiple grills and pleanty of space to enjoy the outdoors. The Gym is super with plenty of equpment to get in a quick work out and the laundry area has more than enough washers and dryers to accomodate all guests.... I look forward to staying here when I am in Corpus Christi...the Corporate sales coordinator Julie is a Real Gem always there to greet me with a smile when I arrive...Cant beat it for the price !!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business