“Great place to stay”

Ranked #20 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stayed here for on business for 4 days this August. The room was very clean and new. The bed was comfortable and the room was very quiet. The hotel is situated off the main highway so you do not hear any road noise. The exercise room is also nice. It has treadmills and weights so you can get a good workout. Everything in this Courtyard Marriott looks new and up to date. The breakfast was excellent and the staff serving the breakfast were very friendly and helpful. This hotel is located near many good restaurants and shops. It's also only 10 minutes from the airport. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My family and I stayed here for a recent fishing trip to CC. Since my car decided to not turn on and had to get it hauled to get it fixed, we needed to stay another night. The front desk staff was very helpful with our situation and tried their best to make us comfortable and get the room we needed. At first, we were put in a handicap room. That was very interesting. The shower doesn't have a barrier to direct the water down the drain. It is built for a person in a wheelchair to wheel themselves into the shower. With no barrier, the water flooded along the walls, around the toilet to the sink. We asked front desk why we were put in a handicap room. They said it's because the rest of the rooms were taken and they use the handicap rooms as a last resort. Eventually my family and I were put in a regular room, 2 queen beds. The beds were ok, not too hard or soft. Their "sofa bed" is actually a soft chair. No extra sofa bed!!! There's only one mirror in the bathroom. Cool toiletries (Paul Mitchell brand!). Very clean with enough clean towels. I LOVED the wall-mount hair dryer. It's the smallest but most powerful dryer that I've ever used!!! I'm actually looking into getting one for my bathroom, :) I believe the brand was Sunbeam.

Their guest book is outdated. Check-out is at 11:00am, and the book lists 12:00pm. Breakfast ends at 10:00am, book lists 11:00am. BUT it's not a free breakfast!!! It's $5.95 off the menu, $7.95 if you get the buffet. As soon as you serve yourself and sit down to eat, you get served the check! Never like that in ANY restaurant.

We had a decent stay where I would have given this a higher rating but there was a situation which I had to report to Marriot.com. We were told breakfast ended at 10am. We served ourselves around 9:20am. One of the staff members, a rude skinny girl, started to put food away and stated breakfast ended at 9:30am. The cook overheard the conversation and made us enough food for the buffet with a little extra that she left it on the counter if we wanted seconds. Within 5 minutes, the rude skinny girl put the food away and began cleaning. Aside from the guest book stating breakfast ends at 11am, the front desk telling us it ends at 10am, and the rude skinny girl telling us it ends at 9:30am, that was really not acceptable!!! Plus, a family wanted to eat breakfast as well, but there was no food for them. I wrote a complaint and turned it in to the front desk. I complemented the front desk girl, the cook (whom we tipped for cooking food for us), but criticized the attitude of the rude skinny girl. She read what I wrote and started mouthing off, loud enough for us to hear while my family and I hung out in the lobby waiting for my car to be finished. I wrote the complaint to Marriot.com and waiting to hear from them, after they have sent their apologies.

If any hotel offers the "breakfast service", free or not, I can understand not cooking any more food 30 minutes before it ends, but do the cleanup when breakfast is over, not during. I also registered this complaint to Marriot.

All in all, it's a coin toss for me if I ever want to stay at this place again. I'm waiting to hear from Marriot on what they will do on updating the guest book, having breakfast service available during the allotted time, and the attitude of the rude skinny girl.

1 Thank darkangel81
south texas
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed here in early July. It was a nightmare!!! Horrible to say the least. The hotel looks good on the outside and even arriving was ok. The room was dusty. It had a horrible red stain in the carpet that they tried to use a coffee table to cover. The housekeeping is horrible as evidenced by a rodent poop behind my bedside table. The only reason I found it is because my very expensive earring fell right on top if it. There was stains all over the walls of roach poop. I got up in the middle of the night and there was small roaches the tiny ones and silver fish. I was super grossed out. I called the front desk to report the defecation by a large rodent. They were shocked. I begged to speak to the manager who was not there. A very rude housekeeper came in to remove the poop and tell me it is not poop it's old food! Guys it was poop. I took a picture. I am a nurse. My husband is a nurse and we have a lot of pets. I know it was animal poop. We were both so sick of all the dust we couldn't breath. The neighbors were all very loud as well. It was a nightmare. I left a formal complaint with a very rude front desk lady who I told do not charge my card until I speak to the manager it's urgent. I called several times and got no return call. They charged my card for an outrageous amount considering what we went through. This place is worth not more than 39.99 a night. I am going to report this to corporate and American Express. Especially since I have 6 pictures of this disgusting issue. I recommend you stay anywhere but here. It is very sad because we always use Marriott. We are frequent guests and our Marriott rewards card will prove it. I can not stress enough for the 10-20 bucks more just stay at the Omni or Holiday Inn.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pena5504
Jorge R, Manager at Courtyard Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear­­­­­­ Pena5504

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I want to sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had at our hotel with the cleanliness of your room and poor staff service you encountered. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a great experience and clean environment. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and rectify any pest situation that might occur. I would like the opportunity to speak with you in person to get more details about your stay and rectify this issue to your expectations. Please give me a call at 361-808-8400. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to speak with you soon.
Copperas Cove, Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2012

The customer service was poor, they didn't have rooms for check in, we were told to come back 2 hours later, and still didn't have rooms. They DO NOT offer a free breakfast, yet they say its a lovely Courtyard Cafe, NOT. Internet didn't work half the time in the rooms, and of course the beds didn't feel good at all. Had to sleep sideways on them to even be comfortable. Did not fill any of the requests we had for extra pillows or towels. Did not clean the room on the 2nd day. We had trash in there for three days. We finally had to bag it up ourselves and ask the front desk for clean towels. Just not a good stay for the price and the name. Won't stay at this place again.

1 Thank bsrsunshine
Jorge R, Manager at Courtyard Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Corpus Christi. I take every guest comment and concern very seriously and to heart. I understand that customer service and housekeeping were not delivered in a proper manner but know that I will share your comments with our staff so we can continue to improve and deliver our promise of great standars and customer service. Please if you can contact me at 361-808-8400.Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We just stayed one night, but it was very nice and comfortable. The Courtyard Corpus Christi is in a nice quiet location. There are many chain restaurants nearby. The City of Corpus Christi is a dump, so don't bother staying at the overpriced downtown hotels like the Omni, etc.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We were in town for my high school reunion. Standard Courtyard. Place is clean and staff is professional. Nice to have a bar on site even though not a large hotel. Beds were comfortable. Good shower pressure and temperature. Always enjoy having a small refrigerator in the room to keep things cool. Free Wifi with no code required. Thank you that is always a pain with a smart phone.

I wish the room had a full length mirror. As I was getting dressed for important events it would have been nice to see myself. Only mirror is in the bathroom and not full length. Can not remember the last hotel I stayed in that doesn't have a full length mirror in it. A nicer touch would also be a makeup mirror if not going to have a full length mirror.

Additionally, we were in room 134. I think on a week day this would not be an issue. However, for a weekend not a great room. It is the room closest to the breakfast buffet and front desk. In the morning not only can you hear the early birds at breakfast but you can smell the bacon in the morning and the cookies in the afternoon. The other issue is it shares a wall with an employee only room. I believe it is where some of the things are kept for house keeping. As early as 6am one morning I could hear them in there. Maybe taking something off the wall. Again on a weekday when I have to get up not an issue but on the weekend after a long night of hanging out with old friends it was issue.

One other thing about the hotel on a Sunday they host a church in the meeting room in the hotel. Again extremely close to room 134.

As soon as I saw the location of the room, I almost went back and requested another one. However, we were running late and I didn't think we would be spending that much time in the room. However, if I go back I will not stay in room 134. It is a King size room for those of you with that reservation.

Housekeeping also need to pay a bit more attention to detail. Second day found stray hair on clean towels that was not ours.

Location in Corpus is ok. Really depends on why you are there. Most of our events were in downtown about 15 minutes drive away. I didn't want to pay for the Omni and the drive didn't bother me. This location would not be ideal if you are there for the beach. I am willing to stay a bit father for a less expensive room that is clean.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 134
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Me9247
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed at the Courtyard Corpus Christi from June 23 - 25 for a track meet and had a wonderful experience! We will stay here again whenever we travel to Corpus Christi. The desk staff were friendly and very helpful. As we were checking in, the attendant overheard a comment I made to my husband and immediately offered a room alternative that better suited our needs than the one I had originally reserved. I was really impressed with her attentiveness and the fact that she offered this room at the same rate as our reservation. The staff also answered my numerous questions patiently and attentively, offering great restaurant recommendations. They provided extra towels upon request without question. I was truly impressed with their courtesy and professionalism.

The room (a double king) was very clean and comfortable. Even though it was across from the ice machine and near the elevators, it was extremely quiet. The hotel was almost completely booked because of the track meet, yet we were able to sleep soundly. The only noise I heard was from people moving around in the hallway above us, and that was not loud.

I used the exercise room early in the morning -- it was clean, cool, well-stocked with water and towels, and all equipment worked properly. We used the pool on Friday night -- it was clean, with plenty of chairs. Clean towels were available in a storage bin.

This was probably the best hotel experience I have ever had. We are normally impressed with Marriott properties, but this hotel actually exceeded our expectations. We will be back. Thanks to the staff for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family