“Not great!”

Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
ILLinois
“Not great!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed for about 5 nights. The hotel is clean, and well kept, and the staff was great. We had plenty clean towels, the linen was clean, and the bed was comfortable, so no complaints there. There are many restaurants for dining, and the theater is not too far away either. We did encounter a few problems that made the stay less than enjoyable. The first problem was that the air conditioning unit in the room was extremely loud....so loud that you couldn't even hear the TV. It was either turn the unit off while watching TV and be hot, or turn the TV up and disturb the other guest, so we had to keep turning it on, and off. The second issue we had was with the internet, it went down one night and was down for over 24 hours, and when it did come back up, we kept getting kicked off the network. I had to keep signing in all day, when I usually only had to sign in once, and I am in unless I log out. The third problem was parking. If you go out, and come back after 10 PM, you will have no parking! We had to park on the street one night, so from then on, we made sure to do whatever we had to do, and get back to the room early because there were a number of cars, and trucks parked on the street also, so even that wasn't guaranteed. Not sure I would pick this hotel if I am ever in Corpus again. It it wasn't for those 3 issues, the stay would have been great!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Julie J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Hello VacationNikki,

I am sad to hear of your issues during your stay with us. I would love to get some more information from you so that I can thoroughly investigate these issues and get them resolved. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at gm@hiexpresscc.com. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Reviews like yours allow us top continually improve the level of service and accommodations we offer and we appreciated your candid comments.

Julie Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Pasadena, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Check in was great because they did let me do it a little early. No problems
With anything, staff was very helpful. My only issue is the cleaning lady entered our room using her pass key thinking we were not there. We had not checked out yet and she did not knock. It made me feel very uneasy.I noticed I was short 1 cellphone charger after we got home and don't remember if I left it or it got lifted. Next time I will load the car before breakfast and check out after.
Oh yea,! The indoor pool was nasty smelling ,I guess enough chlorine to kill bugs.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Julie J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Hello Lawrence R,

I am saddened to hear about the housekeeping and pool issue during your stay. Our policy is not to knock on any guestroom door on the day of departure prior to checkout time. I apologize that this happened to you and would love to have more details from you so that I can get to the bottom of the situation. As for the pool, I am surprised to hear that it smelled like chlorine as we have a saline pool that requires minimal chlorine. Again, I would love to be able to speak with you so that I can ensure that these issues are addressed immediately.

Julie Johnson
gm@hiexpresscc.com
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Upon arrive everything was fine. Came in with a group of 9 due to baseball tournament. We had no problems til the second day being at hotel. When the hotel cancelled two rooms under our group stating they didn’t have funds in their cards embarrassed the parents when on record the credit card number wasn’t correct and the contact #s they had on file for the parents were not used to contact the party in regards to the room. Front desk claimed they called. Front desk stated if there is no funds in credit card they take the rooms away. The parents complained they had the wrong credit card info but it was too late. Their rooms were given to another party. Its upsetting because we had to accommodate parents in other parents rooms and being the summer all hotels in corpus were booked. It was late the parents were tired and they didn’t have anywhere else to go. If they would of just kept the reservation we would have been fine. Prior to this, we have heard of this happening with other parties that were at the desk prior to our complaint. The hotel doesn’t want to give you one night and prefers you to stay the two days. Just so happened these two parents couldn’t make it Friday like everyone else so had to come in Saturday and look what happened. They didn’t help us because we had a discount and prefer their rate for the night to be offered to someone else.
If you don’t have anywhere to go beware of you will be lucked out if corpus is booked. Room service knocks on door early and if you don’t answer she comes in. we were awakened by her in the room!! Parking is horrible if both hotels are booked.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Julie J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Hello klove3! Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. Unfortunately, our policy states that we must have a method of guarantee for all reservations. Because your group booked through a travel agent, rather than directly with the hotel, we only have the information provided by the travel agent to contact the guest in the event of a problem with that method of guarantee. In this case, we attempted numerous times to contact not only the guests involved, but also the travel agent and the group leader and were unable to get a new way to hold the rooms. I can understand the frustration and inconvenience this may cause but unfortunately, if the hotel cannot guarantee the arrival of these reservations, we must release them to other guests that can. I hope you will give us another chance to better serve you on your next trip to Corpus Christi.
Tappan, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I was traveling alone with my 9 year old son and spent two nights scouring every review I could find. We decided not to stay closer to water as most of those hotels didn't sound too clean or safe. VERY glad we made that decision. This hotel is very clean. Staff was very nice. The breakfast that is included was good with eggs offered each morning as well as pancakes. They had hot cinamon buns that my son loved. THey have tea, coffee and hot chocolate out in lounge/lobby area that was also very homey. The room was also nice and clean. The area around it is like most of this area, which is a lot of stores off a major highway. The pool is tiny. I would have given it a 5 but for the fact that the day before I was traveling, my entire stay was charged to my credit card. I called to see if that was a mistake and they said it's their policy which sounded nutty, especially since we were flying in from NY. They said nope, it's their policy. Notably, no where in their written materials or online is such stated as their policy. I called again next am and was told same thing. I don't see how they can legally charge me anything other than a deposit especially when such a policy is not provided to the customer prior to or even after booking the room. So, beware.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and mine was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Maureen K
Julie J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Hello Maureen K, Thank you so much for the review of our hotel! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and sad to hear about the miscommunication involving the authorization of your credit card. I can definitely understand your frustration. Our policy is fairly standard in the hotel industry and states that we will place an authorization on your card the night prior to check in. The process is very similar to what happens when you reserve a rental car. Upon check in, you are welcome to change the card used to guarantee the room. When the original card is a credit card, the authorization drops fairly quickly, usually within a couple of hours of changing the payment method. However, debit cards can take 5-7 business days depending on your banks policy. I apologize that this was not communicated to you prior to the day of arrival and will be looking into ways we can better communicate these policies to our guests. I appreciate your patience and feedback and hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Corpus Christi.
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed there this past weekend for two nights and let me start by saying that the room was a nice size room with a average bed. I did appreciate that they offered firm and soft pillows. What I didn't like was the fact that we didn't have our room cleaned even though we asked them to do it 3 times the last time I asked I physically had to go downstairs to ask them to do it and all they said was oh yeah I forgot to tell you housekeeping is gone for the day. WOW really! I was like ok could you at least take up some towels for the room. (Oh no... But you can pick them up on your way back in.) Another thing that we really didn't like was the fact that the rooms thermostat was way on the other side of the room so it was either freezing or hot. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel because it was over at 9:30 no good to us way too early. Lastly we were really annoyed by the fact that house keeping knocked at our door at 9am on the day of our check out. In her words "to make sure we had not left". Keep in mind that we had the privacy door hang on the door and check out wasn't till 12pm. All I have to say is never again! Spend $200 a night elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Natalie P
JulieJohnsonGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Hello Natalie P,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am saddened to hear about the issues you encountered during your stay with us. This is not the normal level of service that we pride ourselves on and I will be addressing it today with the appropriate departments. I hope that you will give us a chance to better serve you on your next visit to Corpus Christi. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of further assistance. gm@hiexpresscc.com

Julie Johnson, General Manager
Lake Jackson, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stay at this hotel every week and LOVE it! The staff is great and the rooms are perfect. I travel every week for business and it is always a good feeling to come to a hotel where everyone knows me by name. The staff working front desk always greet me with a smile and actually make me feel like they are happy to see me. The rooms are always clean, the bed is extremely comfortable, and the variety in their breakfast is AWESOME! I highly recommend anyone traveling to Corpus Christi for business to select the Holiday Inn Express on Oakhurst.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank otilio g
JulieJohnsonGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Otillio! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel! The feeling is mutual. My staff and I always enjoy seeing you and hearing your jokes! We look forward to seeing you next Wednesday!

Julie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed here this past weekend. The outside was well kept. Front desk & staff was professional, great service. Staff member E.D. at front desk greeted us with a warm welcome. The room was excellent. I was looking for cleanliness and it was extra clean! Room also very updated and modern & the ac worked great. Has indoor pool and fitness center, both were well kept and very clean. Breakfast is good, had great options too. Maintenance fixed a minor issue very quickly for us. Surrounded by awesome restaurants. Also an Grocery store nearby with a pharmacy, very convienant. A night spot is nearby and we could hear the music on Saturday. The ac drowned out the sound for us. But if you are a light sleeper try requesting a room on opposite side of the night spot. It did not bother us one bit though. But overall if you are looking for a really nice, clean, comfortable hotel with a professional friendly staff, this s the place! We will definitely book here again!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Corpus Christi.