“Awesome Service”

Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Awesome Service”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This was my first time here. The service was the best I've encountered in a very long time. The staff was great. Edie was very helpful and pleasant to visit with. She always had a smile a such a great personality. High marks for this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
JulieJohnsonGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Hello rl09235,

Thank you so much for your review! We agree, Edie is great! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Corpus!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I have stayed several times at this Holiday Inn Express over the past several months and I have been pleased every time. In fact, I am almost there every other week traveling on business, and I really like the location which is close to most anything one might need in the Corpus Christi area. I particularly enjoy staying at a Holiday Inn Express due to the level of quality of service and cleanliness of the hotel chain in general. This particular location DEFINITELY upholds the high level quality that I have been accustomed to from the various different locations of Holiday Inn Express that I have stayed at both across many states in the US and throughout Mexico.

What makes me title my review "Home Away From Home" is due to the staff at this particular location. The whole staff is very helpful and friendly to all of the needs of the guests and are always willing to accommodate as best as possible. The cookies in the evening are always delicious and the breakfasts are pretty good too!

When reading the other reviews of this location, one really stood out to me that was a shocker! The person who wrote about the "Nasty front desk woman" must have stayed at a different hotel completely and doesn't know Edie at all! In fact, Edie is usually the person who checks my co-workers and I in because we arrive in the late afternoon when she works that shift. Not only have I had a wonderful experience in working with her, my fellow co-workers who travel with me also have nothing but great things to say about the friendly service that Edie provides. She is very personable and always takes the time to give that personalized level of service to make sure that my/our stays are always up to the expectation. In fact, the review looks to have been written on a day that Edie wasn't even working. It just so happens that during one of my recent stays around the same date this other review was written, Edie shared with me that she would be out of town and staying at a different Holiday Inn Express herself and would be able to experience being the customer instead of the service provider. So my question is does that person even know who they are talking about????

To sum it up, I would have to say that as long as I continue to be traveling to Corpus, I will try to stay at this Holiday Inn Express every possible chance I get. And for those who want to write bad reviews about the location or the staff, please feel free to stay somewhere else where you can be grumpy so I can have my "Home Away From Home" a wonderful and friendly environment like it always is when I stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
JulieJohnsonGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Bryan- Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! We appreciate all of your kind words. I promise I will pass on your glowing review to our staff and especially Miss Edie! This will make her day. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you and your team back next week.

-Julie Johnson
UK
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This was my stop in between Galveston and San Antonio. Four nights, mid September.

The hotel is quite classy and is clearly targeted toward business travellers. The room (427) was spacious, with a good bathroom - no bath tub, but the shower cubicle was huge. Good, firm mattress. Reasonable selection for breakfast, which runs until 9.30am. The staff are very helpful and professional. The hotel is situated in the middle of a collection of restaurants, so there's always somewhere to eat.

There is a bit of a noise problem: the doors are heavy so they slam constantly, the elevator makes the loudest dinging sound you can imagine (my room was right at the end of the corridor, as far away from the elevator as possible, and I could still hear it), and there tends to be loud music from somewhere outside the building.

I'll be honest: my biggest problem with this hotel was simply that it was in Corpus Christi. The hotel was great. The city was awful. If you absolutely have to be in Corpus Christi, then I recommend this hotel. If you don't absolutely have to be in Corpus Christi, just go somewhere else.

Good points: nice room, firm mattress, clean and professional.

Bad points: it's in Corpus Christi.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the end of a corridor - the elevator is centrally located and makes a very loud...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Hello SarahKnowsThisOne!
Thank you so much for the nice review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that while you did not enjoy Corpus Christi, we could at least provide a bright spot during your trip. Should you ever happen to find yourself in Corpus again, I would love to show you some of the lesser known attractions and stops that may make our city shine a little brighter.
Humble, Texas, United States
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We called from the road to reserve a room and the woman who answered, Edie?, was not helpful and very short tempered with us. We should have taken her attitude as a clue that things would not go well at the hotel. When we arrived Edie was demanding additional information and threatening to raise the rate unless we satisfied her request for additional written documentation during check in. We have stayed in Holiday Inn Express & Suites all over the country using points and credit cards and this is the first time we've encountered any of these probing questions. It wasn't any of her business exactly why we where in Corpus Christi. I wouldn't have minded sharing that info with her if she wasn't so hateful about it. She shouldn't be in a position to interact with the public. She is much better suited to solitary housekeeping duties or cleaning the parking lot. We had planned to stay a couple of nights but almost left before we finished checking in. I must admit that I was so tired, I just wanted a shower and a bed. Edie got us so worked up we started arguing between the two of us. (Not an easy feat.) We decided to go to the pool and soak in the jacuzzi to unwind and calm down. Be careful...the jacuzzi step design is terrible, I nearly broke a leg getting in due to the unexpected drop off. The water was at least 104 degrees and the chlorine was so strong it was stripping the paint of the walls, not to mention what the fumes did to the surface of our eyeballs. The pool was salt water but still had tons of chlorine in it. I washed my swimsuit out with soap and it still smells like chlorine. Personally, I enjoy outdoor swimming pools and I usually don't turn my nose up and opt out unless it is like this one. Now I know my breaking point when it comes to pool areas. The room was clean and bed great but the whole experience was tainted by Edie. We won't stay here again, ever.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
JulieJohnsonGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Hello Jane O,

I am so sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay with us. I would love to get more information from you about this incident so I can take the appropriate steps to ensure that it does not happen again. If you have the opportunity, please email me at gm@hiexpresscc.com or I can be reached by phone at 361-857-7772. Again, I would like to apologize. This is not typical of how we treat our guests and I will be addressing the situation immediately.

ILLinois
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed for about 5 nights. The hotel is clean, and well kept, and the staff was great. We had plenty clean towels, the linen was clean, and the bed was comfortable, so no complaints there. There are many restaurants for dining, and the theater is not too far away either. We did encounter a few problems that made the stay less than enjoyable. The first problem was that the air conditioning unit in the room was extremely loud....so loud that you couldn't even hear the TV. It was either turn the unit off while watching TV and be hot, or turn the TV up and disturb the other guest, so we had to keep turning it on, and off. The second issue we had was with the internet, it went down one night and was down for over 24 hours, and when it did come back up, we kept getting kicked off the network. I had to keep signing in all day, when I usually only had to sign in once, and I am in unless I log out. The third problem was parking. If you go out, and come back after 10 PM, you will have no parking! We had to park on the street one night, so from then on, we made sure to do whatever we had to do, and get back to the room early because there were a number of cars, and trucks parked on the street also, so even that wasn't guaranteed. Not sure I would pick this hotel if I am ever in Corpus again. It it wasn't for those 3 issues, the stay would have been great!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Julie J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Hello VacationNikki,

I am sad to hear of your issues during your stay with us. I would love to get some more information from you so that I can thoroughly investigate these issues and get them resolved. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at gm@hiexpresscc.com. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Reviews like yours allow us top continually improve the level of service and accommodations we offer and we appreciated your candid comments.

Pasadena, Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Check in was great because they did let me do it a little early. No problems
With anything, staff was very helpful. My only issue is the cleaning lady entered our room using her pass key thinking we were not there. We had not checked out yet and she did not knock. It made me feel very uneasy.I noticed I was short 1 cellphone charger after we got home and don't remember if I left it or it got lifted. Next time I will load the car before breakfast and check out after.
Oh yea,! The indoor pool was nasty smelling ,I guess enough chlorine to kill bugs.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Julie J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Hello Lawrence R,

I am saddened to hear about the housekeeping and pool issue during your stay. Our policy is not to knock on any guestroom door on the day of departure prior to checkout time. I apologize that this happened to you and would love to have more details from you so that I can get to the bottom of the situation. As for the pool, I am surprised to hear that it smelled like chlorine as we have a saline pool that requires minimal chlorine. Again, I would love to be able to speak with you so that I can ensure that these issues are addressed immediately.

gm@hiexpresscc.com
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Upon arrive everything was fine. Came in with a group of 9 due to baseball tournament. We had no problems til the second day being at hotel. When the hotel cancelled two rooms under our group stating they didn’t have funds in their cards embarrassed the parents when on record the credit card number wasn’t correct and the contact #s they had on file for the parents were not used to contact the party in regards to the room. Front desk claimed they called. Front desk stated if there is no funds in credit card they take the rooms away. The parents complained they had the wrong credit card info but it was too late. Their rooms were given to another party. Its upsetting because we had to accommodate parents in other parents rooms and being the summer all hotels in corpus were booked. It was late the parents were tired and they didn’t have anywhere else to go. If they would of just kept the reservation we would have been fine. Prior to this, we have heard of this happening with other parties that were at the desk prior to our complaint. The hotel doesn’t want to give you one night and prefers you to stay the two days. Just so happened these two parents couldn’t make it Friday like everyone else so had to come in Saturday and look what happened. They didn’t help us because we had a discount and prefer their rate for the night to be offered to someone else.
If you don’t have anywhere to go beware of you will be lucked out if corpus is booked. Room service knocks on door early and if you don’t answer she comes in. we were awakened by her in the room!! Parking is horrible if both hotels are booked.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Julie J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Hello klove3! Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. Unfortunately, our policy states that we must have a method of guarantee for all reservations. Because your group booked through a travel agent, rather than directly with the hotel, we only have the information provided by the travel agent to contact the guest in the event of a problem with that method of guarantee. In this case, we attempted numerous times to contact not only the guests involved, but also the travel agent and the group leader and were unable to get a new way to hold the rooms. I can understand the frustration and inconvenience this may cause but unfortunately, if the hotel cannot guarantee the arrival of these reservations, we must release them to other guests that can. I hope you will give us another chance to better serve you on your next trip to Corpus Christi.