“Scared by previous reviews and expected to change hotels when I got to Raddison!”

Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach
Ranked #20 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

Our room at the Radisson was very nice, shockingly clean ( from the previous reviews I expected to find hair in the sink/tub, and sand on the floors!), and plenty of room. It had a nice place to put a very large suitcase with plenty of space left over. Also another cubic corner of space to drop something to get it out of the way. Our room wasn't the coolest the first night. I mentioned it to the desk and they immediately sent someone in to check it. He fixed the proplem and we were extremely cool if not on the cold side which we enjoyed. I have to have it cold at night. My husband was visiting from Baghdad which is 115 degrees and upward in the summer, so being cool was very important o us. Our room stayed in the lower 60's the remainder of our visit. The sleep number beds are comfortable and will take some time messing with the controlls to "wake" the mattress up making one side seem like it doesn't work. What I was really pleased with (unlike most hotels) Radisson actually gives you a choice on changing your sheets everyday. If you travel a lot, you understand most of the best hotels have cut cost by changing your sheets every other night or one time a week if you are staying for a long time. Radisson offers to change your sheets every night, if you like, for no extra charge. The staff is very remarkable. Extremely friendly and does what they can to make your stay feel like home. After meeting me one time, Lisa (at the front desk) knew my name and made an effort to greet me by name everytime I passed through the lobby. My husband and I had a king room with a balcony. We had a nice view in our 5th floor room. We sat out on the balcony every evening! The hotel could use some updates (i.e. granite countertops, and a few other little facelifts), but how long are you going to be in the room? There was plenty of hot water. One advantage of staying at the Radisson is it is in walking distance to the Lexington and Aquarium (which has a nice waterpark for the kids and several restaurants affordable for families (be sure to check out Yummies for great burgers, homemade chips, hotdogs).

For staying and hanging out at the beach....... well, the beach here is not a typical Texas beach. It is ground up shell mixed with some sand that Corpus dumps here. It is best to drive over to Padre on Mustang Beach where there is a public beach (requires a sticker for the state park ask the hotel for info) where one can drive on the beach and park the car right where you want to layout and play. Be sure to take a gallon jug of water to rinse off the sand for the ride back to the hotel or one of our favorite places Port Aransas where there are some very nice places to eat (casual)! There is a large seafood restaurant on the main street grouped with several small shops which was wonderful in Port A. The prices in these shops are really good. All the shops are not tourist traps as I expected. Also, in Corpus go into Old Town (which is known by locals as 6 Points) to Hesters Cafe and Coffee Bar on S. Alameda St. The shops that are connected to this store have very good prices also. Be sure not to miss the surf museum and it has the 100% cotton Hawiian Shirts for $24.99 or $29.99 and reef sandles! The shops located over in this area are very nice and have great prices. I believe this is called the Waterview area.

2 Thank overczpatti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

This hotel used to be a fine place to stay in Corpus. Unfortuntely, the Radisson change is not really any improvement. The hotel has obviously split and the two story buildings are Quality Inn. Radisson should have kept the pool there, it was nice, large and shaded in spots. The new pool they have built on the opposite end of the high rise, is smaller, unshaded, and totally unkept. Bathers from the public beach in front of the hotel, come and go as they please. The Pool bar is a joke. Some guy wheels a bin of beers, and finally opens the wooden windows up early in the afternoon. The rooms are dirty, housekeeping is poor. Updated with sleep number beds, that don't work. The bathroom is outdated, with rusty and stained fixtures. The AC is Loud, and barely works. The patio doors leaks air and whistles. The hotel staff for the most part are very friendly. The hotel restaurant is a mess. Don't bother. The menu for dinner is scant, and the menu looks as if it was typed up and zeroxed copied. Prices are out of line. The bar has a nice touch overlooking the bay, and is nice at night. Problem is, nobody goes there, and it generally closes at 10. It is a shame, as this location is ideal, and the hotel could be far better managed, especially under the Radisson brand.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

My husband and I went because we were told how nice the beaches were. Although the beaches of South Padre were beautiful, we couldn't swim due to millions of little crabs everywhere. In front of our hotel, we couldn't swim due to thousands of jellyfish. I've been a travel agent since 1988 and Radisson always represented a hotel with very high standards. I must say that the sleep number beds were very comfortable. However, at the very least, they could have had the pool bar open and other options for guests to do since the beach was not swimmable. Their 3rd floor bar has so much potential with wonderful ocean views but the windows (which go floor to ceiling) were dirty, the walls had no decoration and there was no music or entertainment. The maintenance staff was overworked. They seem to be in reaction mode and not preventative. There is a lot of disrepair - the balconies and the shade umbrellas. The safe did not work. Our last night there, the pipes in the shower above our room burst onto my husband who was in the shower at the time. Don't think we'll go back unless major changes are made.

Room Tip: Make sure to book oceanview
1 Thank TravelAgent747
Bismarck, Arkansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

Please keep looking if you are thinking of staying here. Location was ok and staff was helpful and seemed overworked. First visit to a Raddison and was very disappointed. On our vacation we stayed in three different chain hotels this was the most expensive and the worst by far..... where do I begin..... door onto deck whistled from wind, stayed on 6th floor and had roaches, was disappointed they didn't have con. breakfast like most updated hotels now but after the roaches not so sad... didn't feel like i could take bath and be clean had to take showeres....couldn't open deck door because they have notes on door that say if you do could take up to 1 hour to cool room back off....that was very true....didn't even get cool at night.. Had to exit hotel building to get to dirty pool ...... I am sure of it....Not one single vip from the radisson corp. has ever stayed at this hotel!!!!! very outdated... asked about guest laundary didn't have them but you can go next door to sister hotel, loaded up clothes and walked ...hot...hot...hot.. all machine were broken.... we work hard for our money and truely feel like we wasted it
I have never written a review but wanted to have others from making same bad mistake...
Good Luck

2 Thank sampsonfun
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

Stayed at the ocean view room on the 7th (highest) floor at the beginning of the June. Had a worst vacation time in our life. First found an FLYING TWO-INCH long COCKROACH in our room at the middle of the night. Then experienced the even nastier customer service(long story, don't want to think back). I don't recommend this hotel at all. I would rate it at maybe a 0 star if I could. Won't go back if they pay me.

2 Thank mronethousand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Loved the access to the beach but you are limited to things to do/or go since you are not closer into Corpus. Very disappointed in the Pool/Bar, drinks too expensive, staff in bar very slow, drinks not cold. Not enough chairs and no umbrellas for shade and you can't bring your cooler. It's an older hotel so the rooms are older, small but were comfortable. Staff very friendly.

Southlake, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I have never written a review about a hotel before but I had to this time. This was my first time to stay at a Radisson and I will never stay again! My check-in started bad and my stay only got worse. The sleep number bed did not work, safe did not work, light in the room did not work, hair in the bathroom floor, did not receive wake up calls both mornings. Come to find out after we checked out that the phone in the room did not work either. We received a $20.00 credit to breakfast for not receiving our first wake up call. THANK GOD I did not pay the full $48.00 bill. What food was available was horrible! As we were leaving they brought out more food. The cereal was stale, the oatmeal was not eatable, the apples and oranges bruised and not any good, the eggs and bacon were cold. No other items available due to being out. The hotel is on the beach and you can walk out with your towel. But it was NOT worth it!