“Beware of HI Emerald Beach”

Emerald Beach Hotel
Ranked #42 of 79 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We chose this hotel because it is right on the beach area and it is a Holiday Inn. This being the first weekend of spring week I expected to have working elevators....wrong only 1 working elevator and it was a fast shutting door and little time to get in without the door closing on you. The wall behind our t.v. a previous guest had written on and poked small holes in the wall. We were on the 7th floor and the soda machine has been out of order since January 24,th, I am just wondering why they would not have the machine fixed or replaced before Spring Break? The decor is horrible and there were ceiling tiles open and wires hanging out. For the money I made I could have stayed in Port Aransas or at least the Omni and had a much better experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank grkindred
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Dear grkindred,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us.
We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into.

Thanks again,

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed here the weekend of March 9-11 the first weekend of spring break. I traveled with my 3 girls ages 9-14. It was chilly and raining on and off. So grateful I picked this location! The indoor pool, ball pit, video games, etc saved us from a rained out weekend. The hotel is dated, but clean and comfy so that's all that matters. If you are looking for luxury, stay at the Omni up the street, but if you are looking for a place where kids can have fun and be kids, this place is great. We were in 506, and our housekeeper was awsome, leaving extra towels etc and asking if we needed anything each morning. The restaurant supervisor went out of her way to assist us with an issue on our first day, and even brought me a slice of birthday cake at breakfast on the morning of my birthday which was the next! This place is family friendly, and honestly when I first arrived it was not what I expected and I was a little concerned, but the staff here is amazing and the customer service is excellent so any doubts I had were wiped away by the friendly smiles and hospitality we recieved. If you have kids, stay here!! I will be back again this summer a lot!

Room Tip: There are rooms that open up right to the pool area inside with sliding glass doors. If you want to...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MelCal
Reviewed 10 March 2012

It is important to note that I've stayed at Holiday Inns for years as a priority reward club member.

I've stayed at this particular location at least 4 occasions. Without going into how old this hotel looks among other flaws, I need to share something here that was just off the charts.

Almost EVERY time there is always drama at the front desk with my check in. OK, I checked in on day Mar. 8th about 4:30pm. I was tired. Just drove 4.5 hours.
Two ladies were working the desk. I waited for about 10 minutes while I watched this one young lady finish her task and as I waited for her to finally look up and ask 'May I help you', she finally did like after 1 min.

She started to check me in while the phone next to her was ringing. This is where it gets bad. She was way more interested in making sure the phone calls were answered rather than help me, a customer who is already there in the lobby trying to check in. It amazes me how the priority is without a doubt, the phone as opposed to a Live customer right before them.

Anyway, she never got off the phones. I waited until her co worker beside finished with another guest. The other worker whose name I found later to be was "Teresa" was unprofessional and slightly rude. Let me explain.
Since I was used to staying at that particular HI, and being treated like crap usually all the time, I asked if they saw my notes on the reservation that I made online, which was I needed a refrigerator in my room. I didn' think it would be a problem since last time I was at this hotel in November 2011 I had one in my room and never requested one. But she said 'no, only the cabana rooms have them". "OK and ?" I replied.
See the last time I was in last November of 2011, they apparently upgraded me to a Cabana room (over looking the Bay) but did not explain to me at that time that those rooms are usually higher rates than my actual reservation ( a state rate).
OK, I realized that. They were adamant they could not put me in the Cabana because, well it was close to spring break. Therefore I could not have a room with a refrigerator. well, I had milk and other perishables in the car that needed refrigeration. I told her that almost every Holiday Inn Express I've ever stayed in had a refrigerators in the rooms. She said "well this is a full service Holiday Inn". I looked at her like she was half crazy and I said " right, so you'd think that if the downgraded Holliday Inn "Expresses" have refrigerators then certainly a full size Holiday Inn would offer them...". She just told me in a cold voice, " no, we don't have them here". Do you want to cancel your reservation ?" I was like , I don't believe she just said that ! NO customer service. I told her " no, I'm already here, just to give me a room, any room".

Then as she gave me my room keys and I noticed there was no priority reward vouchers in the envelop. Usually every HI I've ever been to, they always give out either free drink vouchers to the guests or complimentary breakfast coupons. I asked why I didn't get them (Note that I don't even drink but wondered why they were left out). She said something to the effect "we don't give those out all the time". She finally reached down and gave me one after I complained about it and then I immediately handed it back to her and said "look I don't drink, but I don't know why you feel you are going above and beyond giving me these coupons when I was given them all the other times".

This particular HI is hit or miss. They are notorious for warm experiences full of pleasant surprises and complimentary tokens of appreciation on some visits, leading to customer expectations on future stays. Then on next visits totally the opposite. Those warm expectations aren't guaranteed on your next visit. That I can assure you.
I asked to speak with the manager and "Teresa" informed me that she WAS the manager. What do you do when that happens? She sure needs to start acting like a manager. Never again.

As for my perishables, luckily I had a cooler with me and I iced down everything, just like I was staying at $20 a night hotel. On my second night I had NO hot water in the shower. I knew better than to call down and complain because there is nothing they can do about it except move me into another room. It's such an easy resolution for them but a pain in butt for a guest who is already situated in a room.

By the way there is another full size HI on Leopard street that is just as old and dated as this one but they are better. And a fairly newer HI property on Padre Island. Never again on Emerald Beach they don't really give a rats tail.

Room Tip: Get a room on the lower floors if you want decent water pressure.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank businessclassguy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear businessclassguy,

Thanks for staying with us again and leaving another review.
I am sorry that you did not find our hotel satisfactory to your needs.
I assure you we are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband and I keep coming back year after year for the last 22 years. We drove down to Corpus Christi this past weekend for a quick get away. The weather could have been better cold and rainy, but having a heated indoor pool and hot tub to relax in was nice. The beach is right out the back doors and cleaned daily. Our room was spacious, clean, quiet they looked like they were newly remodeled, new duvet covers and carpet. Our grandson loved the playplace and ball pit. The breakfast buffet was nice the chief cooks waffels. omlettes and eggs your way.. my husband loved that. The waitress were fast and very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank nonnie40
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Very good location, right on the beach. We didn't notice any "bums" like others had commented. Hotel had good curb appeal.

Room was fairly average for Holiday Inn, a bit small if you have kids, but clean. Only complaint about the room is the bathrooms, small and a bit musty/moldy smelling. Otherwise, beds and pillows were comfortable, tv good size. We had a partial view of the bay on the 6th floor facing Corpus Christi, and we were happy with the view. Overall quiet at night. Could hear a baby crying faintly early this morning.

Indoor pool and kids play area were great! Our kids, 5 and 4 enjoyed swimming and playing on the play structure as well as pool table and air hockey.

Room service breakfast was ok, but coffee was very weak, and need some sweet rolls or something else with the Continental Breakfast.

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Only stayed one night, but would stay again if in town.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We had a non smoking room in the sep bldg on the beach. The patio was nice, opened right onto the beachfront. But when we turned on the AC, it sucked in so much cigarette smoke, I felt like we were in an old bingo hall!

Staff were nice, and the room seemed quite clean, including the bathroom. I saw other posts complaining about bugs and hobos, but we didnt' have any trouble whatsoever. It was quiet for sleeping. The smoke coming through the vents, however, would keep me from going back.

Room Tip: If you hate cigarette smoke, think twice. It was s-m-o-k-y. Waterfront rooms better than maiin bl...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My son and 20 other high school students and teachers stayed here this past weekend. They drove from Houston Friday afternoon and arrived at the hotel late. They stayed up and played Wii and had to get up at 7:00 a.m. to attend a Science competition. My son left his brand new class ring and his i-pod charger in the room. Milly, the housekeeper, found both and they are returning them to us. That is so nice and honest of her! She has been with the hotel for over 25 years. My son and his teammates came in first place, but he was so sad over the loss of his ring he couldn't celebrate. Now with Milly's good news, he is finally celebrating. On top of that, the room was wonderful and everyone enjoyed the breakfast, too! Our family will be coming back to this hotel every time we go to Corpus Christi!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends