“Not very nice”

Emerald Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have been a loyal Holiday Inn patron for well over a decade so I have a standard expectation for cleanliness that nearly all of the hotels have met.
Upon checking in I was greeted in the normal courteous way by the staff. The lobby was well maintained and I had no reason to believe that the room would be any different so I was surprised to find my room in such a bad state. Water stained walls/ceilings, plugged drains, rust stains throughout the bathroom, cracked/peeling chalking, etc. were all signs that not much care is given here about the customer experience.

2  Thank DaveOcc
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear DaveOcc,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for being an IHG Rewards Club member. Please accept our apologies for the condition in which you found your room. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We will be addressing the matters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.

Jaime W

Reviewed 19 August 2013

The hotel has the best spot in Corpus Christi for beach access. The newer Holiday Inn and the other hotels aren't directly on the beach, you have to cross the busy street and then chances are you won't have a beach, just the sea wall to the water edge. We stayed in a beach view corner room. The room was large, clean and pleasant. We had a couch and chair inside and a set of patio chairs and table on the balcony. I spent a lot of time on the balcony enjoying the great view and sea breeze. Even though it was mid August it was comfortable. We had a fridge and microwave. After the first two hours we liked the place enough we added on another night. The bed was very comfortable. It was quiet and we slept well.

The hotel was clean, the pool area great if you like an indoor pool when the gulf is right outside. You walk out of the hotel onto the beach. The beach was clean and had a rental for chairs, umbrellas and water equipment.

My husband was sideswiped by a sting ray (stay well away from the breakwaters and wear beach shoes/tennis shoes in the water) the morning we were leaving and the staff called 911, brought us ice (should have used heat, I learned) and accommodated our need for a late check out as we were at the ER. The staff all were friendly and helpful through out the visit..

We didn't eat at the hotel, not being breakfast people. We wanted seafood meals and the restaurant didn't have any listed.

I hope we get back here again.

Room Tip: Wifi didn't work well at all. We were as far away as you could get though, and we weren't th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary L
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I was not impressed with this hotel at all. The hotel is ran down and filthy. The location is decent but that is all it has to offer. The bar outside and doorway to the hotel was full of sand and water and is never cleaned. It doesn't matter what time of day or night it is. The whole time when we sat at the outside bar we had at least one roach follow us around. No telling how many other roaches are out about

3  Thank Crystal_c4
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Crystal_c4,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced. I appreciate you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Great location but hotel is just old and yucky. The rooms are clean enough , but the pool area is filthy. The doors and windows look like they have never been cleaned. The hotel restraunt is so dark and dingy you really aren't in the mood to eat once you sit down. The service is average, though when we ask for a place to eat breakfast they sent us to a place that wasn't even opened. Not a place I would ever stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Keri S

Dear Keri S,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. It is regrettable we fell short of your expectations this particular day. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Connie D

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I dont know what to say. I felt like the beach was inside the hotel. Sand and saltwater oder everywhere. I realize this place is hard to keep clean with it being on the beach and guests constantly tracking in sand, but the whole place was filthy. Every glass doorway looked gross, every elevator stunk and the entire place looked old. I cant beleive they charge those prices! Its Corpus Christ Bay for heavens sake. But, since they are still in business apparently they are getting the rooms filled. As for me never again. I would rather stay at a Courtyard Marriott. I dont know what the deal is with CC hotels. Perhaps its because they have no real comps, but they are just horroble. Even the Omni is a joke!

4 things are what kept me from complaining.
1. the room was really cold and the a/c worked excellent! shocking for an old hotel
2. room was clean (shocked again)
3. beach access cant be beat
4. We paid a govt rate, so not rack rate, I cant imagine paying full price for that "full service" MOTEL

This hotel is so far gone, there is no point in trying to fix any of it. It needs a complete renovation top to bottom.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fancypants2008
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Dear fancypants2008,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I am delighted to read that the room accommodations lived up to your expectations. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. Rest assured that the issues you have raised has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

Janice A

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Pros:
Directly on a nice stretch of beach that is relatively clean & not too crowded
Housekeeping and front desk staff were nice and helpful
Breakfast buffet was pretty good

Cons:
Dirty, smelly, moldy hallways and corridors
Drippy, moldy ceilings in public areas, including halls and lobby
Old, nasty wallpaper in rooms
LOUD, OBNOXIOUS, TRASHY people everywhere, throwing their trash, cursing, parading around with no shirts on in the lobby, with hundreds of kids running around
Overcrowded, loud pool area open til 11 pm so that we could not get any rest in our poolside room
Non-hotel guests using the parking lot and hotel pool area and hotel bathrooms
They made my friends wait 2 hours past check-in time to get a room!

Room Tip: Avoid the pool side rooms if you like peace and quiet, or if you don't like mold & mildew
2  Thank GregorySATX
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear GregorySATX,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am pleased to know that our location suited your needs and you found our staff nice. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry if your stay was negatively affected by the overall cleanliness of our property. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here for a week for business and while the location was excellent, the hotel really shows its age. I'm sure when this place was built it was the best of the best, however, it's falling apart inside. The room itself was clean (meaning my sheets, towels, etc) but the structure of the building was unappealing. The walls in the room were pealing and leaking, there were stains on the wall and rug, chairs were falling apart, etc.

Hotel staff was very nice - the restaurant food is pretty low quality, I would run down the street and grab something else and save yourself some time. There's a nice bar outside overlooking the water, however, the drinks were smaller and more expensive than the bar that's inside the hotel.

There's also lots of stuff to do for the family - inside has a large pool, play area, ping-pong tables, etc.

Overall, I probably wouldn't stay here again but since they offered a government rate, it wasn't THAT bad of a deal.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank John K

Dear John K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for any inconvenience the condition of our rooms may have caused. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.