“Great view from the room”

Emerald Beach Hotel
Ranked #42 of 79 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Very helpful friendly staff at this ex Holiday Inn, but the hotel is very tired and desperately needs updating. Having said this we only stayed one night and the room was very spacious and was ok for the one night.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ArizonaSky

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed there this past weekend, while the weather didn't cooperate much until Sunday, the hotel was amazing. Fresh clean sheets, 4 pillows on each bed, comfortable bed, room was clean. Room service was prompt and the food delicious. I had a room on the 5th floor.. side view of the bay. Elevators worked fine, AC was awesome, flat screen TV. The staff was extremely friendly and courteous. Offered to help with my bags, always had a smile. Even housekeeping asked me if I needed anything as I was getting my meal delivered from room service.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MysTerriA
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I booked a room for only one night at this hotel some month and a half before our arrival and only because I got a 15% discount from a regular price, otherwise I would find it way too expensive for what it's offering. Even the price with the discount was a bit above my spend limit. The hotel itself was a regular chain hotel, the room was good, nothing to rave about, but it missed the fridge where we could cool down our drinks. On the good side, hotel is located right on the beach, so there's no need for even crossing the street, which wasn't packed at all, even though it was mid August, but also it wasn't the weekend. Not sure if I'd pay again almost $100 more than some other hotel that is just few hundred yards further down the Boulevard, so if I'd come again, I'd go with the cheaper options.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frishki
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We had stayed in this hotel 2 other time son the past and loved it! It's a perfect location and they allow us to bring our 2 large boxers. We planned this recent trip for my husband's birthday and had been Ravi g about this hotel to my mom who was coming along for her first visit to Corpus. We booked a "Cabanna" suite which was not included in the military discount. Some of the front desk staff was okay but there was a very nice manager that worked evenings! The room was a lot smaller then the tower rooms we had stayed in before. It had an odor as did most of the hotel. There were roaches all over the grounds of the hotel and 2 large ones were in our room at 2 separate times. We were offered to change rooms but not guaranteed they would be roach free and we were offered to have the room sprayed but it wasn't pet or child safe and we had both with us. The chairs in our room were stained, it was cramped with furniture and missing the information binder. The room service was way over priced and the pizza was gross! 18% gratuity is automatically included no matter how much is ordered! The pamphlets in the lobby weren't from the area. My husband and I got a cocktail in the inside bar and his beer tasted old and my Moscato was flat. The food at the restaurant was okay but n of worth the cost. Parking was horrible!! It's not assigned but you are supposed to have a slip in your window. Needless to say, most people used our lot to park and access the beach. Over all, the hotel is becoming very run down! Dirty, smelly and in need of repairs!! It was not cheap to stay there by any means but the experience reminded me of a roadside motel instead of a beach side resort. I believe it is no longer a Holiday Inn because it is just called Emerald Beach now and the Holiday Inn name has been removed from everything including the sign. The last time we stayed it was part of the Holiday Inn and you can definately tell!!! It is a prime location minus the trash left on the beach and it has a nice indoor pool but we won't be staying there again unless they lower prices and CLEAN/REPAIR the property. Disapointed!

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank MySoldiersGirlieGirl
Reviewed 24 August 2013

The hotel looks like the perfect set up right on the beach for the last day of our family trip! We purchased tickets through hotels.com and prepaid for the breakfast for our group of 6 plus 2 kids. Statement on Hotels.com: For an extra $12 breakfast is included for all 6 guests and the two children with us eat free! Perfect, so we thought... Mistake #1. We just moved from our hotel close to Mustang Island where the beaches were great... Mistake #2.

Upon arriving at the Holiday Inn we ventured out to the beach all day! The beaches were not as nice as just 40 min away at Mustang Island. The next morning is when the trouble set in: We visited the restaurant where there was a buffet set up. We brought in our two vouchers we were given at check in and presented them two the waitress. She said these were only good for 4 people. While the family waited on me to return at the table I went to the front desk to sort things out. We rounded up the troops at the front desk along with the front desk manager and they all mentioned this is a regular occurrence. I thought that would mean they would like to help resolve the issue. Nope. Management statement, "It is what it is. You will have to take it up with hotels.com".

We returned back to the restaurant to recharge with breakfast. We had two children in our group and guess what! Kids Eat FREE. The waitress said since we had taken so long to order while attempting to sort out the issue the kids order of eggs and toast would take a REALLY long time. Even though there was eggs and toast at the buffet (and milk)? So, we said OK, please bring the toast and eggs and a milk for the kiddos. The family went to the buffet and the kids waited and waited and waited on their milk. The waitress came back by and we had to ask if the children's milk would also take as along as the eggs and toast that were already prepared? 30 min later the kids got milk, eggs, and toast.

The staff seemed miserable with their jobs and we didn't receive one smile from the staff other than the snarky smile when we were sent away from the front desk.

Suggestion: Book elsewhere. Anywhere else.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DestinedTravelR
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The Holiday Inn Emerald Beach might be named after a jewel, but it is definitely not one! What should have been an enjoyable weekend at the beach ended up being two days of worrying about my vehicle being broke into.When we checked in we were given a parking permit to put on our dash, the hotel parking lot turned out to be the locals favorite spot to park for easy access to the beach. There was no security evident and no one checking parking permits.....
Being an experienced traveler we knew not to expect great food at a Holiday Inn, but we did expect it to at least have an edible breakfast, they couldn't even reach that mark. Lunch time came and I figured that not even a Holiday Inn could screw up a club sandwich.....the sandwich was delicious! It took over an hour to get it.
BEWARE, we came out of our room and surprised a member of the housekeeping staff as he was wrapping a camera up inside a dirty towel.

Room Tip: No matter what room you choose, do NOT leave anything of value in the room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bill M
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have been a loyal Holiday Inn patron for well over a decade so I have a standard expectation for cleanliness that nearly all of the hotels have met.
Upon checking in I was greeted in the normal courteous way by the staff. The lobby was well maintained and I had no reason to believe that the room would be any different so I was surprised to find my room in such a bad state. Water stained walls/ceilings, plugged drains, rust stains throughout the bathroom, cracked/peeling chalking, etc. were all signs that not much care is given here about the customer experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank DaveOcc
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear DaveOcc,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for being an IHG Rewards Club member. Please accept our apologies for the condition in which you found your room. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We will be addressing the matters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.

Jaime W