“Nice rooms, good restaurant”

Emerald Beach Hotel
Ranked #42 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Business center could be a little better. Wish the pool was outdoors. Great beach access. Rooms were comfortable, clean and quiet. Breakfast buffet was good for price. Close to area attractions. On site workout area.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Emerald Beach Hotel

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night. We found the staff to be very polite and friendly. Oscar in the pool bar was very helpful and pointed us in the right direction for some good good and drinks in Corpus. The complimentary shuttle bus was great, taking us into Corpus and picking us up again at 11pm. The hotel itself is a bit dated and could do with a bit of a facelift but it is ideally located right on the beach.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This hotel is so dirty. The sink in our room was didn't drain well. The towels were stained. The overall look and feel of the room was gross. The staff was nice. I would not stay here again. I understand the hotel is on the beach so there will be some sand but this was filth not sand.

1  Thank imendoza1
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This a a good hotel. It is located directly on the beach in Corpus Christi on the bay side. I've stayed here a couple of times with a large group and the hotel has been very accommodating to our group. It was branded a Holiday Inn until this year. Older property that could stand some updates but overall is a great place to stay and is close to lots of restaurants and attractions.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

$300+ nightly rate is completely ridiculous,first thing I notice about my hallway was the horrible odor of urine everywhere, dreading even opening the door to my room, luckily I requested a smoking room, because the smoke smell killed any chance of pee aroma, not that it was nice, just at least not piss. The room was DIRTY,smelled like wet carpet, probably because it was wet, stains on the walls, my sheets had stains I did not tell the desk, I just went and got a set of "clean" sheets from the hk on my floor, did not want to waste time with rude front desk people when I was there for one day to enjoy the beach. Very limited tv channels, I was not informed of hotel amenities, I had to call to ask about the pool and breakfast/ check out time ect.. I still cannot believe I paid the money I did for that, the pictures are not what they seem on the web site-perfect definition of a CAT FISH.You bated us in with the beach front and the clean set up room..DEFINETLY not ever staying with Emerald Beach Hotel ever again. one more thing was I was charged a 15% hold for the room, they deducted this from my account with out any consent or information letting me know about the hold, if i did not have just deposited some extra cash, this would have been an even bigger nightmare. Staff needs some serious personality tips, very dull made me feel like I was talking to myself at check in.

Room Tip: its a cat fish trap, the picyures of the hotel are not even close to the real life deal. RUN while y...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jessica M
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel is old. Not at all like you see in the pictures on the internet. Not a good value for the money. Will not return to this hotel. The paint job in the hallways of the adjoining tower looked very cheap.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We went out here for a family getaway with our extended family. This hotel seems to be neglected and in disrepair. Family members had stayed here when it was a Holiday Inn years ago and remembered it being much better than it was.

Location:

If you want a great beach location. Head to Mustang Island or Port Aransas. This is a "beach" on the bay in what seems to be a neglected part of town. There is a beach, but it is full of bits and pieces of shells, trash and other stuff that has washed up on shore.

Rooms:

The furniture looks like it has been updated with the past 5-7 years which is good. The bed was ok. Where the rooms fell short were the cleanliness of the bathrooms (floors not very clean and faucets gunky) and carpet. Don't know what the issue was, but maybe there was just too much humidity in the room. Our swim suits never got dry and the floor seemed wet for our entire stay....weird.

Hotel "Amenities" and other items:

The hotel lobby looks clean and presentable. Upon check in, there was not a luggage cart to be found. I asked one lady that had a luggage rack where she got one and she seemed very frustrated. She mentioned having to go out in the back of some room to grab one herself. The pool area smells way too much like chlorine, it is almost nauseating. We ordered some food to go so we could eat it on the beach from the onsite restaurant. The food was good and host brought it out to the door right in front of the beach (great service-I forgot her name, but she had bright red hair)! Before dinner, we went to the bar and the bartender didn’t really know the menu (it is only two or three pages). We asked for a “muscato” (that’s what is said on the menu – I think the appropriate spelling is “Moscato”), anyway…they didn’t have it. My father –in-law asked for two mixed drinks and he hadn’t heard of them. We opted for margaritas and beers. We could not get the wifi to work in our room.

After going on TripAdvisor, I see many complaints from other people who have stayed here. I think it is great that this hotel responds and asks for specifics like where the issue is, but most of these issues could be fixed with basic management. The management of this hotel could really use a quality control program and a way to get employees to take pride in the place that puts food on their table.

Room Tip: don't book a room here
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
EmeraldBeachStaff, Online Marketing Coordinator at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hi Eric M,

Thank you so much for your review, we apologize you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to address some of the issues you brought to our attention.

Location: We are located in downtown Corpus Christi, which is a popular area of town. The beach that we are located on, is not a private beach,it is city property, although we do maintain a section of the beach daily.

Rooms: You are correct the furniture has been updated, including the beds, which a majority of our guests find very comfortable. The cleanliness of your room, i do apologize for, and yes I would like to know which room you where in. If you would please be so kind as to email that information at mrodriguez@hotelemeraldbeach.com, that would be most helpful.

Amenities: Luggage carts...we do have many luggage carts, Think of it like the grocery store; not everyone uses the cart bin in the parking lot, they just leave the store cart wherever their car was parked. It's kinda like that here, the bell carts are used, and not always returned.

As for the bartender, again I would like to ask you to please email me his name, if you remember. The redheaded server you spoke of, her name is Judy and she is terrific! At least we think so, she has been with us over 20 yrs, I will personally let her know you spoke highly of her, thank you.

WIFI - About three maybe four months ago we upgraded our internet on property. So I'm curious as to whether or not it was a device issue or our service provider. I have noticed over the last few months, for some reason we have more complaints with Apple users. I'm not sure if it's an extra security issue with these devices or something else. So again if you wouldn't mind, can you please let me know the exact issues you had.

I'm am happy to respond to our reviews, and I ask for specifics for several reasons. Location, staffing, maintenance, etc. So I do hope you would not mind emailing me this information, and thank you again for your review. We do hope you would give us another chance in the near future.