“Great location”

Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Bolton
“Great location”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We picked the hotel because of the location and we were not dissappointed.The views from the breakfast room were awesome.The hotel staff were very accomadating.The room was spacious enough even with 4 people and suitcases.The beds were very comfortable and the tv was positioned so whichever bed you took you could still watch it without straining your neck.There were previous reports of cars being broken into so rather than park the car in the undercover car park (which did seem a little dark even during the day) I opted to park mine in the open.Even tho the car was very warm when we got in I thought it would be a safer option.It does say that there are camera's monitoring the carpark so I figured if it was out in the open there would be more chance of catching anyone.We didnt hear of any break in while we were there.All in all a great hotel in a great location.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Jim C, Manager at Best Western Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
We appreciate your feedback and your business. I am glad that things were enjoyable for you. We hope that when you visit Corpus Christi again that you stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Powys, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2011

What a great location! My partner and I stayed for 2 nights here, The first room we were allocated was on the second floor and was spacious, spotlessly clean, with all the usual Best Western facilities ( coffee machine, fridge), plenty of pillows and the bed was comfortable. However, we hardly slept a wink due to the background loud rumble , we think from the hotel's generator. It was'nt noise from the air con. The next morning, after a pleasant enough breakfast ( served on 11th floor with views to die for over the bay), we asked at reception if anything could be done about the noise,and were immediately offered an alternative room on 7th floor. We were invited to inspect this room before making a decision. The background noise could still be slightly heard but not to the extent that it would be disturbing. Having quickly changed rooms, we had a peaceful second night!
The hotel provided free on site parking, and also free use of a laundry ( you just have to pay for small pack of detergent). This was really useful as we were in the middle ofa 2 week tour of Texas and had brought minimal luggage.
The location of the hotel was great, just across the road was the sea front and harbour, great for strolling along. Behind the hotel was a really good restaurant called the Water St Oyster Bar ( serving a great selection of seafood, chicken, steaks, salads etc) A short drive away across the bridge to USS Lexington and Texas State Aquarium. We took a one hour harbour tour, and visited the Lexington ( aircraft carrier museum) both of which provided good entertainment and interest for our one full day in CC. If travelling to CC, we would recommend staying on the Northshoreline Boulevarde area in preference to anywhere on South Padre Island Drive, the latter being very built up and busy, and far less peaceful.
All in all, The Best Western Marina Grand was absolutely fine for a couple of nights, and was good value.

Room Tip: Do ask on booking for a room on the upper floors, probably 6th floor or above in order to get a peac...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank birminghamcorbiere
Jim C, Manager at Best Western Corpus Christi, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
I am glad to here that you enjoyed your stay.
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 4 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here one Saturday night in mid-September. We did not have reservations, and there was a large contingent of senior tennis players staying in this hotel that weekend. However, I was still able to walk in from just down the block and secure a double Queen room on the 7th floor with a gorgeous view of the marina. (#710). The young lady at the front desk was extremely nice, polite and helpful.

Our room was actually quite nice, especially for the price. The view was pretty stunning, all things considered, and you could actually step out onto a "standing room only" balcony and look out over the marina. The bed and bedding were very clean and quite comfortable. The other elements of our room were fairly described as standard, except for the shower head, which was sub-par, indeed. It was too low, and a miserable fixture. The common areas were clean and bright, but pretty standard and not particularly impressive. The elevators were not "slower" than those of the Bellagio in Vegas or the Four Seasons Chicago when a large number of people are using them all at once.

The breakfast on the 11th floor is pretty cool, actually, because it is in a large space and the view, again, is terrific. The food was on par with most Best Westerns, although there were raves about the (Texas-shaped) waffles, which I did not have. (I realize it's probably inevitable and unavoidable at this cost, but there is something not quite completely "hospitable" about eating off of paperware with plastic cutlery to me...unless I'm actually on a picnic or something like that.)

The area has several decent places to eat, well within walking distance. Two, at least, are out in the marina itself. I must note, too, that I am not actually surprised that others have had issues with vandalism to and theft from their vehicles--not that there is any particularly negative characteristic about the parking area itself. It is right next to the hotel, and it is "open." (Maybe that's the problem.) There is a noticeable number of transient, down on their luck folks in the streets just behind this hotel, and a sad number of vacant commercial spaces on those streets. It seems clear that the economic downturn has had a significant negative impact upon this part of Corpus. The owners of this hotel cannot control this factor, to be sure. It is also not at all unusual for any waterfront area to have this happening, unfortunately. If there was any way to do so, it would be excellent to hire a "night watchman" for the parking area, in my humble opinion.

This place is sort of a "gem in the rough," mostly due to the location (regarding the view and vicinity to the marina) and the friendly, competent staff. The "rough" part is the current state of the neighborhood behind it, which I'm optimistically thinking is temporary.

Room Tip: Get the full-on marina view, on the 10th floor, if possible.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback, it is very much appreciated. I am pleased to here about your stay and hope that you will return. Thanks,
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Although some reviews have complained about noise and break-ins, etc, our stay was very nice. Good location for walking to either restaurants or the marina and friendly staff. No noise but it was early in the week. Free breakfast on the 11th floor was a nice touch. If the elevators are slow, then take the stairs and get some exercise.

Room Tip: company website had better internet rates at the time of our booking
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 September 2011

First room we got had a/c problem. Second room we got had pair of dirty socks and toe nail clipping from previous guest. Manager was hard to get in touch with but gave us offers and points. Would rather have had the first night comped for all the trouble or next night so we stayed somewhere else second night. Good view and breakfast though.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Friendswood, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel while on a business trip to Corpus Christi. My accomodations were booked by someone else so I knew very little about the hotel prior to arrival. I was greeted by a very courteous and accomodating staff and that level of interaction continued througout my stay. The hotel is older with many of the trademaks of an older hotel , structurally. ( ie..soundproofing-specially in bathrooms, a/c and ease of internet connectivity) However, I will say for as structurally dated as this building is, they have done a good job at remodelling, upkeep and cleaanliness. The views and access to
the water from my room were great! This is a Best Western ...not a Westin or Noble House.
The fitness center was adequately equipped, however as a woman I would suggest maybe glass doors to the hallway...it felt a bit isolated and risky, although a keycard is needed for entrance.
My experience was tainted as I left and discovered that my car had been broken into and burgalarized while parked on site. The staff was very polite and tried to be accomodating, yet I felt a bit embarassed for them as it was obviously not the first time that they have had this issue and were not sure he apologetic for something that was obviously not an anomily and clearly posted as a risk.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 0christina
Cotulla, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My family and I stayed in Corpus for 3 nights on one of our trips this summer. We stayed here 2 of those nights and loved it. The beds were so comfortable. The free breakfast was more than your usual cereal and coffee. They had tortillas, eggs, beans, waffle makers, bagels and a few other yummy items (saved us about $30 every morning). The staff was very nice. Oh yeah, Texas State employees, don't forget to ask for your discount; that saved us about $90 per night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the top floors, the view of the beach is very nice.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family