“Nice Hotel Downtown Corpus Christi”

Omni Corpus Christi Hotel
Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Houston
“Nice Hotel Downtown Corpus Christi”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I am from the Corpus Christi area so it was nice to get back and check out my old running grounds. Fortunately, the Omni Bay Front Tower was the refuge that I needed from what was once a pretty nice town to visit. More on that later.

The hotel is downtown overlooking the bay. We had a great room with a great view. As with other Omni hotels that I have visited, this hotel and staff did not disappoint. From the second that I was greeted at the front desk until checkout, everyone that I ran into always had a kind greeting or comment. It must be something in their training because it’s that way at every Omni that I’ve been to.

If I had to pick on something, I would say this. Have more rooms that accommodate four people. My wife and I have 8 and 10 year old boys so rooms with double beds are our standard request unless suites are available. The hotel was booked the weekend we visited (some convention) so room selections were minimal. However, there was a Bay View suite that was available. This suite had a king sized bed which is what I prefer but it had no other beds and the sofa was not a fold out. The only option here was to add one roll-a-way. How can a suite be designed to hold only two people? This seems to me to be an easy fix. Replace the sofa with a fold out so it can hold four people.

We had a Premier Room with two double beds. Not my preference, but it was comfortable. The rooms were clean and well maintained especially for being across the street from the bay. Most hotels that I’ve been in on the water have a humid musty quality that comes with the territory. Not here! A/C worked fine with hardly a noticeable noise.

Kids ate free breakfast which helps considering the buffet was to the tune of $20.00 each. We are not big eaters so buffets are not our usual pick. But, with so much to select from, it was hard to turn down. Great service from the omelet guy with more options for your omelet then I’ve seen in a while. I’m sure once my two get a bit older, we will cherish the thought of only paying $20 for a graze fest.

If you are up for it, get a massage. Kim worked out the kinks from a four hour drive and several days of playing golf. She did a great job, was thorough and very relaxing.

Parking is conveniently located right in the building so no trouble there.

Since my mom lives in Corpus, we will be visiting again and the Omni Bay Front will be our choice.

Now, back to the “what was once a pretty nice town to visit” comment. Corpus was a great place to grow up 30 or 40 years ago and a great place to visit just a few years back. With the exception of a handful of people that we encountered during our recent visit (the folks at the Omni, Benny at Landry’s - you have to see that review, and Sam the girl bartender at Brewster Ice House), my impression of the people in Corpus is that they just don’t care about themselves. Go to the mall and watch people. While waiting on the ladies to help stimulate the economy, my sons and I sat and watched people. It was disturbing to see so many overweight and sloppily dressed people. It’s more disturbing to see it when sitting in a restaurant.

The shine has worn off of the city with few great restaurants, no high end resorts that I could find, and a failing infrastructure. Compared to the rest of the state, Corpus Christi is no longer on our list for a place to go for vacationing. It’s disappointing to see Corpus like this because it was once a great city to visit with plenty to do.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Corpus Christi Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
We are thrilled to hear you and your family had such a great stay with us, and we look forward to your return. We appreciate all your feedback, and will take into consideration the updates on the sofas to increase the capacity of the suite. Thank you very much and we will see you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Aubrey, Texas
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Well first they advertise one hotel and book you into another hotel, The hotel we stayed at was not anything like the pictures they put up on here. They charge for parking $10 self $15 vallet. But when we went to self park we were told the lot was full so they would vallet park for free. But that our car would be a couple blocks away. Since I read the reviews I know that cars get stolen from here alot. So I walked the garage and found more than 10 spaces and demanded that my car be brought back. Then they did not want to give us our car keys!! sounds fishy to me!! We own one of the top 10 stolen cars!!! Finally got car keys back after 20 minutes after my car came back. Then once into the room the bathroom had lots of long black hair on the floor. This was after waiting for the room to be cleaned. I called and had housekeeping come up and sweep the floor. Then when I went to bathe the hair was still there. Called housekeeping again, pointed to the hair again. Once they left my husband just picked up the clop of hair and placed it into the trash can. I am blonde my husband gray. So much hair looked like someone cleaned their brush on the floor. Then charged for parking and $9.95 for wifi that I used for 2 minutes. Elevator so slow waited 10 minutes each ride. Run from this hotel!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank June8912
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Corpus Christi Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Thank you for your review. While we appreciate all of the feedback from our guests, we do need to correct you on one point. We have not had reports of cars being stolen from the hotel so this is something we do feel we need to correct. As with most hotels in a downtown area, there is a charge for parking as there is limited space. We hope that you are able to join us at the Omni if you return to Corpus Christi and see that these are not outstanding issues. Thank you and safe travels.
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights. A couple of months before our stay I became a member of their loyality program and printed out a card with my name on it. I never got one in the mail. Upon check in I handed the printed card to the fellow checking us in, he mentioned that we were members of their program and finished checking us in. It took two more visits to the front desk before we began to get even the smallest portion of our membership benefits. The only thing it ever did for us was get us free wifi.
The hotel presents itself as spectacular, but it is about the same as a Radison, or Marriot. Our room had a nice wide screen Panasonic television and was well kept with an excellent air conditioning system, but it had the smell of old cigarette smoke covered up with deodorizer. The bed was comfortable with feather pillows but the bathroom was very small as was the vanity. There is a coffee/tea pod machine but getting the supplies replenished is hit or miss. The walls are not any thicker than any hotel room and the kids next door to us kept us up one night. Speaking of kids, if you are looking for a romantic getaway, this place is loaded with kids. It is very noisy in the hallways, near the elevators and especially near the pool and fitness area.
The worst part of our experience was the tiny parking garage. $15 per night for valet and $10 per night for self-park were a little high to begin with, but the garage was completely full on 2 of our 3 nights and we had to park on the top floor of the Omni Marina garage about a block away. Not a pleasant walk when there are few street lamps.
One of the stupidist things we encountered was in the parking garage. When you got to the fourth level it just ended in a wall. There were no signs or notice so all of a sudden you were face to face with a wall and had to back down to where the levels meet to get room to turn around.
All and all it was an ok hotel, but not worth top dollar.

Room Tip: If you want a king bed you will have to be towards the back of the hotel away from the Bay.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank E_Albertstein
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at the Omni Corpus Christi Hotel. We apologize for the lapse in your Select Guest benefits, and will make sure this is corrected for future stays. In regards to the card, we do not mail these out so your printed copy is the one you have for your records and the number is saved on your profile in the system. We hope that whenever you return to Corpus you are able to join us again. Thank you and safe travels.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We have been Select Guest members with Omni hotels since 2006 and frequented this hotel several times per year. Last year at this time we had a terrible time and the general manager at the time granted us a complimentary night when the room remodel was complete. We decided to come down this July for a few nights to redeem our comp night and to see the remodel. We were impressed by the new room appearance. The rooms are fresh and new. The beds are incredibly small (don't remember if they used to be queens but now are doubles). That is just about where the good stuff ends, unfortunately. We had issues from check-in forward. Upon checking in, I showed the clerk (Elizabeth) my print out of my online check-in promising our room would be ready at 1pm. We arrived about 130. We were told the room was not ready and in fact the prior guests were still occupying the room and were not scheduled to check out until 2pm. We were offered a room on a lower level, full knowing that my room preferences were a higher floor (she admitted that she knew this). I turned her down and asked to leave a phone # to call when the room was ready. I asked what the purpose of online check-in and she said it is really not applicable when the hotel is sold out...REALLY?!? This is not, in my opinion, how you treat loyal customers. We began to walk away and pull all of our luggage back to the car when she yelled out to us across the lobby that a bellman could keep our luggage until the room was ready. Then, mysteriously, a room on the 14th floor came available...Surprise!!! The hotel was extremely crowded as there was a religious convention in town and therefore the pool was overflowing with kids all the time. There was no control at the pool whatsoever. My kids got run down several times both in and out of the water and I got hit several times with various pool toys. We did not receive our "guarenteed" turndown service at any point during our 3 night stay even though we specifically scheduled it with the front desk 2 out of the 3 nights. We did not receive our children's "guarenteed" milk and cookies until the 2nd night and did not receive our welcome letter and water bottles until the 2nd night. The buffett has deteriorated in both food quality and selection. The parking lot was full 2 nights out of three and we were forced to valet park. The only bright spot to that is that they did it complimentary and did not charge us for any parking. The couple of other bright spots were in the people. Abel at the front desk was charming and sent up a tray of cheese and crackers on our first night "just because he thought it would be nice." The bartenders at the Topsider bar were fantastic (two ladies) and even though we missed Ken (an old friend), we got GREAT service from these two women. Jonathan at the buffet was a fantastic waiter and did not charge us for our younger child's buffet. All in all, the stay was average and we will probably not be back to this hotel. The remodel is beautiful but the service is still lacking in several areas and the Loyalty program is anything but...

2 Thank shanngus
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Corpus Christi Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Thank you very much for your review of the hotel. Our online check in does allow you to select a time earlier than 3:00, which is standard check-in, however it does note that we can not guarantee anything prior to that time. We however are glad to hear that Elizabeth was able to find a room that fit your requests for an early check-in. We do apologize for the issues you experience with your select guest benefits, and I am sharing this with the rest of our Executive Team so that they can look into what happened and ensure they are not repeated. We appreciate your business and your honest feedback. Thank you and safe travels.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We've never been to Corpus Christi before and my family (2 Adults 2 kids) went for my youngest birthday. I came across the Omni thinking, this will be a great hotel to stay at! Well wrong! Yes it was newly renovated and it looked nice. But first thing, we go there and their valet was very unorganized and didn't seem to know what they were doing. The guys were running everywhere. After waiting for at least 20 minutes two cars ahead of the door, I decided to check in and just park after we do some sight-seeing (we arrived about 730-8pm) We got back to the hotel, and their parking garage was full and the guy said pull around and we'll park your car for free. Well we got up to valet and they said that they'll park our car for $10 instead of $15. Well we didn't know that it costs to park in your own parking garage. I've been to other tourist places and never heard of paying for parking at the hotel you're staying at! No one informed me that I'd have to pay, so we ended up parking cady-corner to the hotel having to walk with two small kids across a really busy intersection. We talked to this guy at the front desk and he was super rude! He said that I signed a piece of paper stating that it was paid parking..uh..sure did not! And I told him.."you didn't tell me about paying for parking or nor did you have me sign a piece of paper!" Then he then went on said that it was owned by the city and not them so therefore they have to charge for the parking. But they owned the parking lot where we parked and it they didn't have to charge their guests. I call BS on that! And guess what to who else paid for their parking! They were parking your car next to ours where didn't have to pay but yet you paid for them to drive your car to the same spot it was "free" For a renovated hotel, the drain was horrible in the bath-tub! it took forever the water to drain after I gave my kids a bath. The beds looked comfortable but all you can feel was the springs of the beds and the pillows were way to soft for me ( and I normally dont mind the soft pillows) They also give you newspapers that unless you don't notify them that they'd charge you for it. So just pay attention. Also their elevators were totally slow! It seemed like the three days we were there only 2 elevators were working! I can understand about a tourist hot spot but for all these flaws it wasn't worth what we paid. I've been to much better hotels with better service and quality and FREE parking!

1 Thank mynguyen2922
Thank you for the review of the hotel. As with any downtown hotel, parking space is extremely limited, and therefore with most hotels there is a charge for parking. We do have the parking costs listed on both our website, as well as the third party websites that our rooms are sold on, but apologize this wasn't communicated more clearly to you prior to arrival. We appreciate your business here at the Omni Corpus Christi Hotel, and thank you again for your review.
Colorado City, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I have been staying at various Omni hotels for years now, and have never had any major problems, which is what prompted me to book the Bayfront Tower for our short stay in Corpus.

I drove to Corpus with my husband and two daughters. After driving all night, we arrived around 5:00am - all of us dead on our feet. We did have a reservation, but of course not until that night. We crossed our fingers and went on to the Omni, hoping by some miracle they would let us go ahead and check in. God bless the guy at the desk, because he took mercy on us and went ahead and let us get to our room.

We had a bayfront room with a balcony view of the USS Lexington. Looking out over the bay was nice, but looking anywhere else was kind of ugly. There was also some kind of loud construction (jackhammer type stuff) across the street which was very annoying.

The room was clean and well maintained aside from a couple of mars on the wallpaper. The decor was nearly exactly as shown online except with different (and in my opinion, more stylish) drapes. The beds were just a little too hard for my taste, but the feather pillows were great, the sheets were crisp, and the comforters were clean and fresh smelling.

The balcony was big enough for the four of us to be on without being crowded, but there is no furniture out there. A couple of chairs would have been very nice. You do have to watch out for the gulls - they swoop in very close, especially with people feeding them from the balconies (come to think of it, maybe that is why there are no chairs out there - it might be very difficult to keep them clean because of the birds).

The Omni does have wi-fi, but at times it is painfully slow. Fine for just surfing, but for business use you might have some difficulties. For some reason the wi-fi in our room wouldn't stay connected, and we had to call the front desk a couple of times each day to have it rerouted, but they always got us connected quickly.

The pool and workout areas were ok. There was always plenty of towels and water out. The pool fairly small, and was half indoors and half outdoors, which was different. There are lounge chairs around the pool and also in a seperate sun terrace above and to the side of the pool. I didn't swim, but my kids did at least a couple of times a day, and they had a blast. There were vending machines and a microwave near the pool. The water was always sold out, but the front desk provided water.

I did have a couple of problems during my stay that did not get resolved. First, the refridgerator in our room did not get cold, and despite asking the front desk to have someone to either fix it or replace it, it didn't get done. Not too big of a deal since all we wanted it for was to keep drinks cold. There is ice on each floor, so that sufficed.

The big problen was that the a/c would not keep the room cool enough. If you stayed near the vent it was comfortable, but it was nearly unbearable in the bed furthest from the vent and in the bathroom. Because of the humidity, even if your a/c is working great you do have to be careful about opening the balcony door too much - or keeping it open too long. The a/c will cut off automatically if you leave the door open over 20 seconds, and even if it doesn't cut off, the room heats up quickly if you go in and out too much.

I did call the front desk about it, both to have someone check the unit and to request a fan. The woman at the front desk told me that housekeeping had the fans, and transferred me there (without a word about having someone check the unit). Housekeeping assured me that they would both get someone to my room to check the a/c and send up a fan shortly. We were on our way out for the day, so I figured that everything would be good when we got back.

I was wrong. When we returned, the room was marginally cooler, but there was still no fan. I was about to call the front desk again when the staff member knocked for turn-down service, so I asked her. She was very nice, and empathetic that the situation had not been resolved since that morning, and went to call her manager to get a fan for the room. Unfortunately she returned with the news that all the fans had been distributed. This did tick me off somewhat; I would have swung by Wally World and bought a fan if they had not assured me that they would provide me with a fan.

One other thing to consider - self parking is $10 and valet is $15. You might as well shell out the extra $5 for valet. The self parking fills quickly, and the parking area ends abruptly with no turn around. My last night at the Omni, I went all the way to the top looking for a space with no luck - seriously every single spot was taken except for two or three handicapped spaces. When I got to the end (without realizing that it dead ends), there was another car coming up behind me. That car stopped at the elevator and let someone out and was waiting for him to come back. Took some doing to get him to move over far enough so that I had room to get past him. I had to back up the length of the garage before I was able to turn around. Luckily as I was going back down someone was leaving and I snagged their spot. Otherwise I suppose I would have had to go on to the valet parking.

Despite the problems I had, the Omni seems to be the best hotel in Corpus, and unless something spectacular springs up directly on one of the beachy areas (not likely), this is where I will be staying.

Stayed late July 2011. Traveled as a family.

Room Tip: Get a bay view room away from the elevators.
4 Thank Take_Me_Out_Of_Town
Thank you very much for your detailed stay with us here at the Omni Corpus Christi Hotel. We are glad to hear that overall, everything went very well during your time here, however we do appreciate the constructive feedback for the areas for improvement. We hope that when you return to Corpus Christi you are able to visit us again to see that these have been corrected! Thank you and we'll see you again soon.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2011

1980 is thankfully dead at this hotel. They have nicely remodled the rooms to 2011 standards. Unfortunately some things can't be changed like the 1980 smallish bathrooms. Walls are still paper thin, and I did get attacked by a small dog today (not kidding) in the hallway. The pool area could still use some work, but for Corpus this is as good as it gets.
I would give it an average plus now, or a good minus. Still the baths in a Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton are larger.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Wayfarer58
Thank you for the kind words regarding the renovation. While we cannot increase the size of the bathrooms, we hope you found that the renovation did make the overall stay more pleasant. We hope to see you again soon on your next trip to Corpus Christi.