“Worth Stopping”

Palo Alto Battlefield National Historic Site
Ranked #2 of 29 things to do in Brownsville
More attraction details
Owner description: The site of the first battle in the Mexican-American war in 1846.
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Very informative information center and film about the US-Mexico war. Good hiking trail - lots of birds to see also.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We visited the Battlefield during the week, and were the ones there at that time. We watched the little video that told the story of the battle - worth it. Then walked the trails to the Battle site. You can drive a little ways up, but you still have to walk a little to get to the main part of the battlefield. It wasn't a hard walk, pretty level paved paths, well marked with historical markers. Small gift store. We enjoyed our visit, and this Historic Site also has the Passport stamp if you participate in that program.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

The information center was well done with a interesting film and display.
This helped me understand the area and the history a lot better.
The battle fields itself was probably well done but the rain kept me off.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

It is a historic site that show the location of the battle of Texas with the Mexican Armies. The walkways through the battlefield was easy and accessible for everyone. Great in site into the past.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I came to visit this place at the insistence of my boyfriend (major history buff) and I was not disappointed. There is a 15 minute informational video and I must say...wow. I did not know this part of history. If you are from the area, come and visit. You will hear familiar names and say "Oh, no wonder that street is named after him." Hint: take water!!! If you plan to hike the trail, it can get hot out there.

1  Thank Jess F