“Not impressed but ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Brownsville
Monterrey, Mexico
“Not impressed but ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I liked the bar in the evenings and complimentary breakfst included. Very good location

In my room toilet leaked and bathroom seemed outdated. Watching TV from bed needed an awkard position nd was afraid from tv from falling down.

Overall stay was ok

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gabrielgarciamtz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Universal City, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We've been staying here for several years now whenever we go visit my husband's family. Our most recent visit was 6/20/2013. We had spent 2 days at the island (SPI) and were very disappointed with the Hilton Garden Inn & Suites there--which cost more than $400. My adult daughter picked up a stomach virus and was literally sick to her stomach when we checked out at noon. It was going to be a long wait before check in time at the Marriott. During our 30 min drive, I called the Marriott and explained our predicament. The desk clerk was most understanding and said there would be no problem checking in early and would have our room ready upon arrival. We got there about 12:45p.m. She immediately gave my daughter a key to the room (with a balcony even). Later on, when my daughter was feeling a little better, I asked the evening desk clerk if I could use the microwave there in the lobby. She not only said yes, but went on further to say she would send a fridge and microwave to our room to make things easier for us. I was most impressed with her offer and very grateful! By the time I got back from getting soups and drinks, about 15 min. later, a gentleman had already taken the fridge and miscrowave to our room. All this royal treatment and I only paid a TOTAL of $99+ tax for our 3-day stay! I have rewards with Marriott and had earned 2 free nights, which I used. I already have another free night which we will use very soon. I can't recall having problems during our stays at this hotel. The staff was AWESOME and went well beyond the call of duty this last go around.

Room Tip: We always request rooms on 3rd floor and away from elevator. VERY QUIET!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ctc78148
THOMAS P, General Manager at Courtyard Brownsville, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear ctc78148,
Thank you for taking the time to review Courtyard Brownsville and for choosing us for your accommodations on 6/20/13. It is through our guest comments that we are able to succeed in providing the best quality of service.
I am sorry to hear about your daughter getting sick during your visit and I am pleased to learn that our staff was accommodating and understanding to your situation. I am happy that our staff’s quick response to your needs and initiative to go beyond your expectations made you feel impressed during your stay. Our staff at Courtyard Brownsville works hard every day to meet each guest’s unique needs during their every stay. I will definitely share your comments with the entire team and acknowledge the desk clerks that helped you during your stay for their awesome job. They will be extremely happy and grateful to hear this.
I thank you for being a member of Marriott rewards and on behalf of myself and all of the Courtyard staff, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stay at this property often for work. The staff is very attentive and willing to go out of their way for you. It appears there are all new mattresses in the rooms. Good location for great restaurants and mall. There is no longer a hot tub at this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ilovecincy
THOMAS P, General Manager at Courtyard Brownsville, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear ilovecincy,

It is wonderful to know that you often stay at Courtyard Brownsville during your business trips. We are glad to be able to accommodate your lodging needs and we thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Our staff strives to meet each guest’s expectations on their every stay and they will be very happy to learn about your feedback.
We recently got new mattresses in June of 2013 and we have had excellent feedback from many of our guests so far. We are centrally located in the heart of Brownsville surrounded by many local attractions, such as great restaurants and the mall as you mentioned.
I apologize for the recent removal of our spa. Ownership carefully evaluated the costs to maintain the spa over its lifetime, including monthly maintenance, chemicals and other operation expenses. Upon review, it was determined that the cost to operate the spa overweighed the value of the spa as an amenity
We look forward to continuing to serve you during your travels to Brownville Texas to ensure that you always have a great trip.
Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

The room was ok at best. I think it was a little high for the quality of the room. It had a place for a mini fridge but no fridge. The TV could not be watched from the bed. It was just an ok hotel. The check in desk people were very nice. Parking lot could use more lighting very dark

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeff P
THOMAS P, General Manager at Courtyard Brownsville, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear Jeff P.

Thank you for choosing Courtyard during your business trip to Brownsville and for taking the time to review our hotel. I understand that you have a choice when you travel, and I am glad you chose us for your accommodations.

I am pleased that you found our desk people to be very nice. They work hard to always exceed our guest’s service expectations.

I understand that your stay left you with the impression of an okay hotel and high for the quality of the room. I would like to share with you that we do have complimentary mini refrigerators and microwaves available upon guest request including a full service lounge and room service available Monday thru Thursday. We also provide free upgrades upon availability. I will inform my desk staff about your concerns so that we can create more awareness of what we have to offer at Courtyard Brownsville.

The safety of our guest is our priority and I will be meeting with our maintenance department to ensure that all parking lot lights are working properly and to purchase brighter light to enhance the lighting in our parking lot.

I hope that you consider staying with us in the future and give us an opportunity to win you back when you travel to Brownsville.

Thomas P. and Team
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

After reading other reviews on this hotel it seems most of us have the same opinion: average. Although, my first impression was "this is a really nice hotel." But, the longer my stay was the more I realized management should reconsider some decisions. The first couple of mornings breakfast was served fresh on porcelain dishes and with silverware. My last morning it was served with styrofoam plates and plastic utensils and the food was starting to taste like it was being recycled from days before. The pool was not maintained very well. This should be managements focal point given the fact most visitors are in the area to soak up the sun. Had I not visited the pool or stayed more than a couple of days, I would have given this hotel an "Excellent" rating.

Room Tip: Rooms above the pool are a little noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
THOMAS P, General Manager at Courtyard Brownsville, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Dear Connoisseur77,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Courtyard Brownsville and for staying at our location during your business trip in March.
It is through our guest comments that we are able to track and measure our guest’s satisfaction and improve our overall performance. Our primary goal is to exceed our guest’s expectations with their every stay. During the month of March we anticipate sports groups on weekends and as a convenience to these groups we provide disposable tableware. I have met with our team and we will implement having the option of porcelain plates and silverware including disposable tableware available on the weekends. I do apologize for the quality of food you had on your last day with us and I have also met with our staff to ensure this does not happen again.
Most visitors do look forward to soaking up the sun in the pool area, and I sincerely apologize for the poor maintenance you found at the pool during your stay. I assure you I have met with our maintenance team to resolve these issues and ensure we meet our guests’ expectations.
Please visit us again when in Brownsville, we look forward to serving you soon.
Attentively,
Wichita Falls, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Good location, across the highway from the Mall and numerous restaurants. There isn't anything wrong with this hotel, it is just your average Courtyard. The staff was friendly and the hotel was in good shape overall. There were little things, your average wear and tear type things that didn't appear to be taken care of. Not sure how old the property is, but it is starting to show some age? The rooms were in good shape and were clean. I did not eat in-house for any meal, so no comments about the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank travelnow39
THOMAS P, Manager at Courtyard Brownsville, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear travelnow39,
Thank you for choosing Courtyard Brownsville during business travel in March, I am happy to know that you found our staff to be friendly and our rooms clean and in good shape.
Courtyard Brownsville is still one of the newest hotels in town and I thank you for noticing we are in good shape overall. Our team works hard every day to ensure our guests experience a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I have met with our team and we will be walking our property to target the little things that reflect wear and tear and we will fix them immediately.
I invite you to visit us again when you are in the area and try our restaurant services. We are open for Breakfast every morning including dinner and hospitality hour Monday-Thursday evenings. We look forward to serving you soon.
Attentively,
Manager at Courtyard Brownsville
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks. Nice clean hotel. Lobby is busy in the evenings with meetings, picture takeing and even a get rich quick seminar one night LOL!! Never bothered me. On second floor. Thin walls. Kids loud at pool until 9pm. Guy working with me was above me and it sounded like he was dancing with every step. All and all not bad. Front desk had cookies after 7pm if you ask. Breakfast was usual normal. What was not usual was a lady hovering over you, jocking for a tip in a self service area. Makes you feel uncomfortable

As always I carry a small fan and put a white cloth behind it for huge noise.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
THOMAS P, Manager at Courtyard Brownsville, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear TexasFight1979

Thank you for choosing Courtyard by Marriott in Brownsville during your 2 week stay and for taking the time to review our hotel in Tripadvisor. We understand that you have a choice when you travel, and we’re glad you chose us for your accommodations.

Thank you for noticing the cleanliness of our hotel. Every day we work hard to exceed our customer’s expectations. The hotel strives for our guests to have an enjoyable and comfortable experience.

We are sorry about the noise you experienced and we thank you for your patience with this matter during the weekend when we had sports teams.

We would like to thank you for your views during the restaurant breakfast time, we have met with our restaurant staff to ensure we provide a relaxed and pleasant experience during breakfast hours.

Thanks again, please think of us on your next visit to Brownsville!

Thomas P.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brownsville
Staybridge Suites Brownsville
Staybridge Suites Brownsville
#6 of 25 in Brownsville
Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island
Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Is...
#1 of 32 in South Padre Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,396 reviews
Homewood Suites by Hilton Brownsville
Pearl South Padre
Pearl South Padre
#9 of 32 in South Padre Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,502 reviews
Ramada Hotel & Suites South Padre Island
Ramada Hotel & Suites South Padr...
#7 of 32 in South Padre Island
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Padre Island
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Pad...
#2 of 32 in South Padre Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,209 reviews

Been to Courtyard Brownsville? Share your experiences!