Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Petersburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Petersburg, VA
“Terrible”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Not sure how this place was given a 2.5 star rating, it is NOT a 2.5 hotel. I came on Labor Day weekend so I expected it to be busy, but you would also expect the hotel to prepare for that. There was a family reunion taking place and ONE person working both the front desk and the kitchen/dining area. ONE person on Labor Day weekend. She was never at the desk, you had to go find her in the dining room area. A very nice young lady, but she needed help.

I was given a handicapped room at first and asked to be changed. The second room I was given was just as weird. It was huge with a lot of empty space, very little furniture. Very dim! The few lights (one blown in the lamp) did not light the room well at all, it was like a dungeon. Beyond this, the room had a dank smell that it seems someone tried to cover up with a perfumed spray. The air was tight and it was hard to breathe. I sooo wanted to leave but couldn't because I knew I wouldn't be refunded. It was awful, simply awful. I am someone used to staying in 3 star or higher hotels and expected this one to be at least somewhere in that vicinity. It wasn't at all. I may have come out better saving a few dollars and staying at a Days Inn or something. At least I might have been able to breathe.

My advice, spend the money you would have spent here and find a hotel more worthy of your dollars. You WILL be disappointed if you stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
cx_peva, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Petersburg, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We take pride in our “Yes I Can!” culture and do apologize that you did not receive this level of service. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments, so we can continually improve our services. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Please reach out to any of our employees directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 31 July 2013

There was nothing spectacular nor terrible about this hotel. It is exactly what I expected from a Country Inn & Suites.
There was a slightly musty odor in the halls. The rooms were clean. Our toilet had a clogging problem, it even had it's own plunger in the bathroom just in case, so they were clearly aware of the problem. The breakfast selection was small, but good. Everyone found something they wanted to eat.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Monroe, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Staff VERY friendly. Easy check in and out. Room and pool are smaller in this location, but ok
Quiet rooms decent breakfast. Great cookies> kids loved them. We will continue to look for locations on other trips

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
cx_peva, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Petersburg, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
We pleased to see you had a good stay with us. Look forward to your next visit when you come to the area.
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We arrived a little late but got checked right in fast. Got to the room and they even had a little "goodie bag" waiting on the desk. Room seemed larger than most rooms around and was very clean. We were hungry after a long day on the road and front desk was helpful in finding a good place very near by. Set back far off the road too so it was quiet. Their entrance is pretty hidden though, easy to miss. All staff was friendly and breakfast area was clean. Even got two morning papers (Local and USA Today!)

Harrisburg, Arkansas
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My daughter made reservations for the weekend. We were supposed to get a suite with two queen beds but when we arrived around 8 pm there were not any available. The one king bed we got was in such a disarray that I had the front desk person check it to make sure it was clean and up to their standards. The bed was very comfortable. When the a/c kicks on it does sound a bit like a freight train in the middle of the night. The serving area for breakfast could be a little cleaner and heaven forbid, don't touch the trash can door. There also is no cold water available for breakfast unless you want to buy it in the soda machine.
My last impression of this place has to do with ice. There is only one ice machine and it is on the first floor. Of course it was out of order with a sign saying sorry for the inconvenience please go to the front desk. So, I did. Just in front of a family checking out. I was asked to wait for ice until they checked out. So, I left my bucket and went and moved the car. Well, I still had to wait when I came back in. So, I just took my empty bucket back upstairs. I know this should not be a big deal, but I was there first and really, I don't think it would have taken one minute to get me ice. Not sure if I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Bobbie R, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Petersburg, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. To discuss your concern further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for Bobbie, Director of Sales.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I don't typically stay in these types of hotels, but was visiting a relative in a nearby hospital and it was the closest hotel. I have to say, I was impressed. The rooms were clean and the staff were exceedingly friendly. Since I left my house for an emergency situation, I came to the hotel with only the shirt on my back. The front-desk clerk kindly gave me al sorts of toiletries. The nightly cookies were a nice touch and the breakfast wasn't bad.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I stayed at this location for a week on a business trip and found it to be a very clean and nice hotel. Each morning there was a different choice of hot breakfast along with bagel fruit and juices. There are many good places too eat close by and lots of historical places to visit. The pool also felt great after a hot day working.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
Holiday Inn Express Petersburg-Fort Lee
Hampton Inn Petersburg - Ft. Lee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Petersburg / Dinwiddie
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 18 in Petersburg
The Ragland Mansion B&B and Events
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond South/Southpark
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond South...
#1 of 8 in Colonial Heights

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Petersburg? Share your experiences!