“great little spot in downtown Petersburg” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 115 Restaurants in Petersburg
Price range: US$2 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Dixie is a landmark breakfast and lunch establishment in the heart of Old Towne Petersburg since the 1920s and in it's current location since 1939. It has seen several owners over the years and remains a local favorite. We specialize in traditional southern cuisine. Our menu items include our famous Dixie Dog which is a red hot dog with mustard, onions and our tasty chili sauce. We also serve fried Salt Herring, Salmon Croquettes, Meatloaf, Chicken & Dumplings, made from scratch Pimento Cheese, and Chicken Salad. We offer a variety of sandwiches, barbeque, burgers and hot-plate specials that change daily.
Charlottesville, Virginia
“great little spot in downtown Petersburg”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stopped in for lunch and the place was filled with locals--always a good sign. I had the bean and ham soup and a homemade pimento cheese sandwich. the soup was delicious--hot, creamy, filling and tastey. The pimento cheese reminded me of my grandmother. They have real sweet tea and they also make milkshakes the old fashioned way. We loved the food and will go back next time we are traveling through Petersburg.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank reescares
frannier, Owner at Dixie Restaurant, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Thank you for the nice review. It is greatly appreciated! So glad to hear that the pimento cheese reminded you of your Grandmothers. Memories of my Gram are one of the big reasons why I enjoy the kitchen as much as I do. Come back soon!
Frannie

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Good food at good prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

While touring Old Town section of Petersburg, stopped in at the Dixie Restaurant for lunch. It is a small, family owned place, which is only open from 7-3. The food ranged from the usual burgers and hotdogs to Cuban sandwiches and a crab bisque. The service was friendly, fast and efficient. I had a burger, which was thick and juicy, while my girlfriend had the grilled pamento cheese sandwich and navy bean soup, which was great. It is a nice place to grab a quick bite and we will be back when we are in the area again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank onevagent
frannier, Owner at Dixie Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you for the nice review! We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you come back soon.
Frannie
Richmond, Virginia
“Impressive and Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

While antiquing in Old Town Petersburg my wife and I stopped by for lunch and we were really impressed with the rustic building and especially the food. They are only open for breakfast and lunch, hours are from 7 AM to 3 PM but offer a variety of food options. We ordered from the mostly sandwich lunch menu. My wife chose the egg salad sandwich with potato salad while I ordered the Petersburg Club. We were both pleased with our meal. Service was second to none. The restaurant is very clean and inviting and we definitely will go back again real soon and try the breakfast menu. We recommend dining here to anyone in the area.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank duffey3700
frannier, Owner at Dixie Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Thank you so much for the review! My husband and I are glad you and your wife had a pleasant experience. It's what we and our staff work towards for all of our customers. I hope you'll come back soon and introduce yourselves! Thanks again and hope you have a wonderful holiday!
Frannie Rawlings
Petersburg, Virginia
“Everything I had hoped it would be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Long a Petersburg staple, the restaurant (and its loyal clientele) suffered greatly during a short stint when it was taken over by another person. I was delighted to find that the Dixie is back the way it is supposed to be. Millie took our orders and Bobby brought us our beverages and of course, Mary is back in the kitchen. Wonderful choices on the menu - regular restaurant fare and the Dixie's specials - chicken and dumplings, stuffed bell peppers, the Dixies meatloaf, baked chicken, yeast rolls and spoon bread. And save room for dessert - rice pudding, banana pudding with vanilla wafers, bread pudding, peach cobbler. The interior is all new though it stil harkens back to its 1950's roots (the booths are no longer lumpy!) Thank you Charlie and Frannie; I'll recommend you to all my friends.

• Visited January 2012