“Great food... Great people”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dixie Restaurant

Dixie Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 116 Restaurants in Petersburg
Price range: US$2 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Dixie is a landmark breakfast and lunch establishment in the heart of Old Towne Petersburg since the 1920s and in it's current location since 1939. It has seen several owners over the years and remains a local favorite. We specialize in traditional southern cuisine. Our menu items include our famous Dixie Dog which is a red hot dog with mustard, onions and our tasty chili sauce. We also serve fried Salt Herring, Salmon Croquettes, Meatloaf, Chicken & Dumplings, made from scratch Pimento Cheese, and Chicken Salad. We offer a variety of sandwiches, barbeque, burgers and hot-plate specials that change daily.
charlotte, nc
“Great food... Great people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Love Dixie! We had a big group of two families and loved the outdoor patio. We all got different dishes and they were all great!

Highly recommend... Wether you are staying in the area or just driving through... You need to stop for lunch or breakfast!

Prince George, Virginia
“Take Me Back to Ole' Dixie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Welcome back, Dixie. This is the restaurant that I remember and frequented for years. The good old down home southern cookin' is back in Petersburg. The new owners have taken great care to bring back some of the old favorites (including the cooking staff). establish the decor from the past, and maintain reasonable prices. I ordered the Ghoulash, which was well seasoned, and contained generous amounts of beef, green peppers,and celery. The sides, spoon bread and baked apples, were excellent. I washed it all down with some of the best sweet tea this side of the Appomattox! Dave, our server, was excellent and was all over the refills (three times)! The only thing missing in our dining experience was a William and Mary flag, absent from all the other Virginia universities represented on the back wall. This will be taken care of!

• Visited June 2014
DC
“A Nice Asset to Petersburg”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I went here with friends, and it seemed everyone enjoyed their meal. There was really positive feedback on the pancakes and the "grits and greens". I think the atmosphere was charming. The outside of the building seemed well kept and stood out in a nice way among the other old buildings in the area. Also, the staff was friendly and welcoming. For my personal taste, the food was just okay. It's not a place I see myself returning to on my own, but I may accompany a friend who really wants to go. If you enjoy Southern "comfort" foods, then this place may be just right for you. (Please note: If you are sensitive to smells, then avoid eating on the outdoor patio on a windy day. There was a stink in the air due to the Petersburg landfill, though several miles away.)

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank GoldenMonarch
Chester, Virginia
“Great Lunch Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We are a weekly diner here. Best service, good food value, comfortable atmosphere. The outdoor patio adds a nice touch, allowing us to enjoy the thriving renovation of the Historic Petersburg area.

Visited May 2014
Newnan, Georgia
“My husband loved it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

It wasn't my cup of tea, but my husband is very, very Southern and he loved it. I'm talking old school Southern. I'm all about some sweet tea and okra, but this is kind of like 1950's farm recipes. I guess if that's your thing than you'll appreciate it. I did like the decor and the staff was very friendly.

Visited April 2013