“Long-time customer... I'm addicted!”

Restaurante Plaza Mexico Bar & Grill
Ranked #39 of 116 Restaurants in Petersburg
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar
Richmond, Virginia
“Long-time customer... I'm addicted!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I've been a loyal customer of this family's restaurants since I discovered El Potrillo a few years ago. That's now closed and I make the 35-minute drive from Mechanicsville to Petersburg at least once or twice a week to visit Plaza Mexico. Why? Simply put, it's the best truly authentic Mexican food you'll find in Virginia. I do love me some Mexican, and this is by far the best I've found.

The menu is extensive and in a very good way. While many Mexican restaurants fluff up the menu with several pages of mixed-and-matched combination plates, Plaza Mexico has a menu full of unique dishes. While many of the items are "typical" Mexican fare, they are much more flavorful than I've found anywhere else.

If you like your Mexican food hot and spicy, you know how hard it is to find good spicy Mexican around these parts, but there are a few gems here. Pollo Jalisco and Pollo ala Mexicana are two of my favorites and I highly recommend them. There is also a "secret" hot pepper salsa available by request... try it!

Not everything is spicy; as other reviews have pointed out, much of the menu is quite mild. But if you want to kick it up a notch, let them know. They are very receptive to special requests.

If you're a burrito lover the Burrito Grande is excellent, and the Burrito Alexis (which contains egg and potatoes) is unique and flavorful. If you prefer to keep things simple, they have the best Arroz con Pollo (chicken with rice and cheese) I've ever tasted. Try it with some of that green salsa.

There is a kid's menu with more mainstream fare including burgers and fries, plus a vegetarian menu. There's a decent assortment of desserts, my favorite being the Choco Chimichanga, which is little more than a Hershey bar wrapped in a tortilla, deep fried, and served with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup... it is TO DIE FOR.

The owners and their (young) kids are all actively involved in the business and have always come across as genuinely happy we're there. That, along with the great food, is what won me over a few years ago. If you have a special request, they'll go above and beyond to accommodate it.

If you've grown tired of the generic, flavorless Mexican elsewhere in the region, give this place a try. It's worth the trip. You'll be back.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Steve C

Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Mom with 2 kids”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stopped in for a quick dinner while staying at a hotel near the interstate. Staff was helpful and must have put a rush on our order so that I didn't have to entertain 2 kids for long. Food was great! Thanks!

Visited July 2014
“Way better than others”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was our 3rd mexican restaurant weve gone to and plaza mexico was by far better than the other two weve tried. our waiter was nice and the food was good i ordered fajita quesadilla and it tasted good if it didnt have the cheese i wouldve loved it next time i go will ask for no cheese. food came out pretty fast, to many things on the menu it should be simplified but the prices are right. will go again.

• Visited June 2014
Pueblo West, Colorado
“Bien vale la pena (Well worth it)”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Found this place after looking for a Walmart. Decided to stop in for a late lunch. Host was friendly and sat us right away. Obvious that the restaurant was staffed by Latinos so that in my mind/opinion was a major plus. Translation.......authentic food that tasted great and moderately priced. Ordered the Carne Asada. It came out fairly quick and was hot, not warm. The waiter was very attentive to our table and came by several times to ask if we wanted/needed anything else. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. Great family restaurant.

Visited May 2014
Petersburg, Virginia
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I came when the restaurant first opened. I was looking for the previous establishment Betto's. When I went inside, I realized it was now Plaza Mexico. However, I decided to stay and try this new business. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the food was and how big of a serving size that was given. I had a cheesy and shrimp enchilada meal. I was very full and satisfied after my meal. The people are friendly and the food is affordable. This is a great place to bring your family.

• Visited May 2013