“Disappointing”

GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

My experiences with the Holiday Inn brand have generally been consistent and good However, this one is a stunning exception. It started with the absent desk clerk, her difficulty in locating my prepaid reservation Add to that very slow Internet connection (measured a mere 1.95 mbps), a defective desk chair and a soggy mattress, As for the chair issue, the front desk clerk assured me that she would contact housekeeping in "...a couple of minutes..." 30 minutes later, I took the initiative myself. I would have expected better. And as of this writing, I have not yet checked out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tfig218
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Petersburg-Fort Lee, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear tfig218,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations and service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The staff was friendly and welcoming. I needed to stay late and it was no problem. The place is clean, the rooms were comfortable and I have a good night sleep. The dining area is large and a light breakfast is available to start your day. The Internet worked without a problem. I have to download some information and it was quick. Most hotels, the Internet is slow. Left with a smile on my face.

• Stayed January 2014
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here in route to South Carolina. Being very familiar with the HIE brand, this location was probably average for the chain. We checked in early to our two queen bed suite which reminded me a lot of the Embassy Suites room layout. Walked into a large living room with pull out bed, large flat TV and wet bar with fridge. Behind a closed door was the bedroom with two queen beds and another large tv. The room was spotless and updated (wifi worked well too!) but my only complaint was the living room was like sitting in a cave as their was a light on the wall and a small table lamp to light the entire room…. it was so dark it was hard to even read! We went to a local BBQ restaurant for dinner (Kings) which was very good and came back to fresh cookies and coffee in the lobby which was a nice touch as a lot of the HIE have dropped the cookies. Trying to sleep posed another issue… paper thin walls! I was not able to sleep until midnight as the room next door had a crying baby that could be heard from our suite and the room above us sounded like elephants tramping on the floor….. I finally got to bed at midnight and was awoken at 6:30am by a trash truck outside emptying the dumpster. The other disappointment with my stay was the breakfast. Having stayed at many locations this was by far the smallest array of choices I have had… No pancake machine, no cinnamon rolls, no yogurt etc. I thought all this was standard for the HIE brand but I guess not… Overall this is a solid hotel for travelers that is a great value and very clean but I was just a bit disappointed the inconstancy with my usual expectations of the breakfast and the lack of soundproofing.

Room Tip: Top floor so no one is on top of you and facing away from the interstate which is also where the tra...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Petersburg, Virginia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The suites has two separate rooms and a 42' TV's in each rooms. The staff is very nice and housekeeping as well.There's breakfast in the morning and cookies & coffee in the afternoon. I really enjoyed my stay. Surely will be staying here when I pass through again. Submitted by Diana S

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Diana S
Deseronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We would like to let everyone know, that if you are looking for a high quality Hotel, with excellent staff, and nice clean rooms, you will want to take exit 45 off I-95 in Virginia and stay at the Holiday Inn Express. The breakfast buffet provided free in the morning was excellent in taste and presentation. We can't say enough good things about our stay at this HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS.

Submitted by Paul and Carol N.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I would like to recommend the Front Desk Lady for some sort of excellent customer service. When I checked in on Saturday, November 30th she was extremely busy with check ins, walk ins, maintenance calls and of course the telephone. She patiently took care of each customer and made sure all of their questions were answered. I have worked in hospitality here in Panama City Beach, Florida for about 10 years now and she is a very good example of what an agent should be. My parents and my friend were also equally impressed with her skills - I believe her name was Jessica or Jennifer. Good job Front Desk and if we come to the area again I will definitely be staying with you at your property.

Room Tip: You cannot ask for more as to these rooms - very fresh linen and spacious as well. No complaints fr...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Orange City, Florida
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This was a last minute decision 2am, and I must say the best decision I have made. The staff was extremely pleasant. The room was magnificent well worth the money, very comfortable and LARGE rooms with a separate living room, fridge, microwave, 2 tv's.... I highly recommend to anyone very clean and to top it off a good breakfast!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
Hampton Inn Petersburg - Ft. Lee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Petersburg
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Petersburg / Dinwiddie
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 18 in Petersburg
Holiday Inn Petersburg North - Fort Lee
Holiday Inn Petersburg North - F...
#4 of 8 in Colonial Heights
Comfort Suites Southpark
Comfort Suites Southpark
#3 of 8 in Colonial Heights

Been to Holiday Inn Express Petersburg-Fort Lee? Share your experiences!