“great price, location, amenities and service”

Sandia Peak Inn Motel
Ranked #4 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
“great price, location, amenities and service”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

For those on a budget (who isn't?), this is one of the best values we have found in years. Easy checkin, clean comfortable room, good wifi. Breakfast was as expected - good coffee and rolls, waffles, toast and jam, fruit, cereal. Will definitely come again.
In addition, it is a delightful locale - art work, well kept up, cozy setting. The owners obviously care about this place and their clients.
Only negative - street traffic, but not bad at all.
Will definitely be staying here as we travel through Abuquerque once or twice a year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
Salt Lake
Reviewed 9 June 2014

What the other reviewers don't tell you is that the owner of this motel really expects you to be out of your room by 9:30AM. And if you are not out by the 11AM check out time, someone will beat on your door continuously until you are out.

The continental breakfast is served from 7AM to 9AM. The expectation is that you will get up before 7, bathe and pack, go eat the breakfast, then leave the property. At 9:30 the maids knock on your door and if they find you in your room they are pretty put off.

I arrived at 11:30PM one night after a long day's drive. The room was incredibly hot, the air conditioning had not been on for several days apparently, so I did not sleep well. When the maids knocked on the door at 9:30AM I told them I was still sleeping. I woke up next at 11AM and went into the bathroom. For the next ten minutes the maids knocked on the door. By the time I was done in the bathroom they had gone, so I got in the shower. For the next ten minutes the phone rang. By the time I got out of the shower the phone had stopped, but as I was drying off and putting on some clothes the owner began pounding on the door and screaming. When I finally had on enough clothes to be decent I went to the door and told her that if she would not scream at me for ten minutes I would get out of her motel and never come back. Which I did.

If you are not going to get up at 7AM and get off the property by 9:30AM do everyone a favor and don't stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank DharmaBumSLC
Fulton, Maryland
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed there in late May. Check-in was easy and efficient. The room (king bed) was typical motel, but still comfortable, as was the bed. We didn't expect much of a breakfast, and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of items offered.

Only two minor complaints...first, the location, along Central Ave. (Rt. 66) tends to be a bit noisy as there's lots of traffic going by day and night. Also, the owner was very conscious of her TA rating and kept urging us to write a good review (BTW, this review is totally unbiased as I am from the East Coast). Finally, we asked for a copy of our bill at checkout, and all we got was a xerox copy of the check-in form, rather than an itemized bill.

Having said all that, I would probably stay here again if I were in Albuquerque. It's not too far from Old Town, and, as I said, the bed was as comfortable as many high end hotel chain beds. And the room was, in fact, clean.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Management so kind. Room big and clean and unique. Love this kind of place. Vintage feel. Quiet and cozy. Would definitely come back again. It was a great stop on our cross country trip and a nice change from a big chain hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Appleton
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on our last night of vacation. The motel is 15 min from the ABQ airport on old Route 66. Breakfast was very nice. The room was spacious and clean. The service was friendly and readily available. We checked in late (10pm) and it was not a problem. The price was very reasonable. I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fredi G
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Sandia Peak Inn. Kay, an owner, checked us in. She was very nice and answered all of our questions about the area, including dining and attractions. The property is well maintained. The room was clean and everything associated with the room worked well. Linda managed the breakfast area. There were several people having breakfast, but there was ample food, fresh fruit, beverages. Linda worked with everyone and offered to make waffles. Although this property is not a "Big Chain" property, but it was clean, safe and priced right.

PS: Call and book direct.

Room Tip: Call Kay directly. She will work with you to select the best room at the right price.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Long story short, I decided at the last minute to do a road trip from east to west coast with the kids. When we were pulling into Albuquerque around 8pm on a Saturday night, I went to my go to source (Trip Advisor) for hotel reviews and this place came up at the top of the list, but for half the price of the bigger chain hotels listed. I tend to stay in chains when traveling alone with the kids, simply because I know what to expect and there is always a front desk area that gives me a sense of security. But I thought I'd take a chance on this one, and I'm glad I did.

Here is the scoop, as I see it:

1. Kay, the owner, is wonderful. She is the kind of hostess that knows all of the guests name and the story that goes along with their journey. She works hard (without making it look hard) at creating an environment in a hotel that I haven't found anywhere outside of a B&B.

2. We stayed in Room 204, which is a corner room with AMAZING space. There are 3 queen beds, a bathroom with separate toilet/shower, dorm fridge, microwave, table with two chairs, tv, and still plenty of floor space for my rambunctious kids who have been in car seats for HOURS and HOUR to jump around and get the wiggles out. It's not luxury by ANY stretch of the imagination. But it is super clean (perhaps cleaner even than most other 3-4 star chain hotels I've stayed in), safe, and I know that if I needed anything, Kay would do her best to help me out.

3. The negative about the room, and I'm not sure if it's all rooms or just this room... the air conditioner had been turned off for the day when we arrived, so the room (late May) was stuffy and hot. It took a good three hours with the a/c running on 68 to finally cool the room down. It's a standard motel wall unit a/c, so it's not quiet, but I suspect that the humming a/c actually helped to drown out the Saturday night noise...so no complaints there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family