“They block the access number to phone cards !!”

Residence Inn Albuquerque Airport
Ranked #46 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
vienna, austria
“They block the access number to phone cards !!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

All in all, this is a nice property. Rooms are comfortable and clean with very comfortable beds and a good shower. Check in was friendly, although a request for a high floor room has originally been ignored. Only after pointing out that the allocated ground floor room does not qualify as “high floor” as requested, has the allocation been changed and the request been honored. Also, breakfast was quite good with a nice spread. The breakfast area is rather small and I suppose it can get quite crowded during busy times, but this was not issue during my stay.

What is really disturbing is that they block access numbers to phone cards. Unfortunately, using a cell phone for international calls for international travelers is a very expensive option due to ridiculously high roaming fees in the US. Looking for a pay phone is not an enticing alternative, either. So, locking access numbers is just a mean thing to do. And I do not even see the benefit for the hotel, as using hotel rates for international phone calls is never going to be an option. It’s just plain stupid. So, I did use my cell phone instead. Using the phone card this should have been costing just a couple of dollars, but with the cell phone roaming charges this effectively increased the room rate by 50%.

Some other (minor) point was that the deadbolt was forcefully removed from the door by the hotel (sawn off ?). Again, why do that ?

I am not sure about the WIFI. I could not get beyond the registration page with my laptop, but when I tried with my Android device a bit later, it worked well.

So for most travelers I think this is a nice enough hotel. International travelers should think twice about this place, if they need to use a phone. For me, I will look for other options next time I am in Albuquerque. Blocking access numbers is just creating a lot of hassles and additional costs. I have seen this before in high-end hotels, where they nickel and dime you for everything, but I didn’t think that Residence Inns would resort to such tactics.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank roland_vienna
General_Manager_RI, Manager at Residence Inn Albuquerque Airport, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Mr. Vienna,

I am so sorry to hear that you had troubles during your stay at Residence Inn Albuquerque Airport. I wish management would have been notified so I could better assist you. Regularly, access numbers are available to our guests to be used with phone calling cards. I apologize that the phone system was not up to terms with what you needed it for. Hopefully in the future you will choose us again so we can prove to you that issues such as this are important to us and that we certainly value each of our international guests and their specific needs. Thank you for choosing Residence Inn.

Eric Hill
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
South Carolina
Reviewed 10 August 2014

One night stay before an early morning departure...located right by ABQ airport. The room was spaceous with a kitchenette, desk, and small living area. Breakfast offered a wide variety of hot and cold choices... Yogurt, granola, cereal, fruit, milk, juices, eggs (with salsa, cheese, or green chili), sausage, potatoes, pancakes, waffles, and more!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank mimi722
General_Manager_RI, Manager at Residence Inn Albuquerque Airport, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hi mimi722,
Thanks giving us a rating and review! I am so glad you enjoyed the wide variety of breakfast items we serve. It’s great that you enjoyed your stay! Come back again to take full advantage of the other amenities we offer. Have great day!
Placitas, New Mexico
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were met at the Airport by Irma, she was amazing! We had 12 bags of luggage and she cheerfully handled everything. The Front Desk Staff were so helpful and friendly. Wonderful breakfasts and dinners! The room was meticulous, kitchen well stocked and housekeeping staff went beyond the call of duty every day! The Grounds were beautiful and carefully tended. Whenever we travel it will Always be a Residence Inn Marriott! Pet Friendly gets Extra points! Non-Smoking a Plus!

Green Features: Water & Energy conservation by not washing towels & sheets everyday.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gloria E
Hello Gloria E,
I am so glad you enjoyed our wonderful staff! Thank you for taking the time to rate us and give us some feedback. I am so happy you had a good time while you stayed with us and got to enjoy our breakfasts and dinners. Have a wonderful day and come back again!
Warm regards,
Farmington, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here last night and were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the room and space in the room at a base rate just under $80. For Albuquerque this is a great price and the room had a kitchen to boot. Will definitely put this on our list of hotels to stay in when we are in Albuquerque and probably at the top of the list unless we take our dogs because even though they are pet friendly it is with a $100 non-refundable deposit. I understand this but it is quite high if you are only staying one or two nights.
Breakfast Buffet was very good and a step above most chain breakfast included buffet's.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DLHulin
Hello DLHulin,

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay! I am pleased you liked your spacious room and the breakfast buffet. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and rate our hotel. The next time you’re in Albuquerque, NM, let us know and we’ll reserve your favorite room!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel is nice when traveling with kids and your on a long vacation. Rooms meet quality expectation that follows Marriott brand recognition; as long as you don't need to use your room phone and place an outside call. Rioom 307 constantly dialed 911 as I tried to dial into a conference call for several meetings Now, if you drive your personal car and park it on the lot; be advised that this hotel has had recurring auto theft. My Yukon Denali was stolen from the hotel parking lot while legally parked and locked n front of the lobby doors on Friday, July 25th. Also, a 2014 Surburban was left "wheel-less" in the parking lot sitting on cement blocks. The general manager; Janet Glynn's" response was, "auto theft rises when you all come to town for the Arabian Youth Horse National competition due to the value of cars you all drive." She went on to let me know that the parking lot has no camera recording; which might deter the number of car thefts this property has had over the last 3 year, because she doesn't want to give her guest a "false sense" of security!" Really?? Well, Marriott, please do know your loyal guest following already has a "false sense" of security due to brand recognition alone. Not once did Janet reach out to me and my family to see how they could help make our stay better or even better; assist us with getting home. So, unless you are in the market of offloading your personal vehicle, I highly recommend renting a vehicle with insurance. Signed,

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Kamcclaine
General_Manager_RI, General Manager at Residence Inn Albuquerque Airport, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Of course we feel horrible that you were a victim of auto theft at our location. This is not a common or “recurring” incident that occurs on our property. We want our guests to have the best possible stay and experience at our hotel, and for obvious reasons you did not experience a problem-free stay. I apologize if during our conversation that we had about your vehicle being stolen, if anything I said was misunderstood or misinterpreted. There are various times of year, and various events in the city, as in any community, when incidents of crime increase. Our camera security is limited to the integrity of the building and does not include outside areas, in an effort to ensure the personal safety of our guests. The parking area is a public area, and unfortunately we cannot control everything that occurs in a public arena. However, even with the best efforts of law enforcement officials, there is nothing we can do to make our community 100% crime free. When we spoke the day of this incident, I offered whatever we could do to assist you. I offered to help obtain the police report for you, and offered our airport shuttle to you and your family for anywhere you needed to go. I am truly sorry that there was not more that we are able to do in such a situation. This is not a common event for this hotel, and we would hope that this experience does not tarnish your opinion of Marriott, the City of Albuquerque, or Residence Inns, and that we will be able to earn your trust again in the future.
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My kids and I spent a night at this property on our 14 day road trip. We had the 2 bedroom suite on the 4th floor. It was a gorgeous room, clearly updated recently, had everything we needed to make our spaghetti dinner and we loved the pool for burning off that energy. The fire alarm did go off at 4:20 a.m., but I don't blame the hotel for that. If anything, I was glad we got an early start on the next leg of our trip. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
General_Manager_RI, Manager at Residence Inn Albuquerque Airport, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello KerrieM2009,

Wow, 14th road trip—you all are quite the explorers! Thank you for the 5 star review! I really appreciate you taking time out of your life to give us some feedback on how your stay was. We do want to apologize for the 4AM fire alarm and thank you for being so understanding. We hope you stop here again soon!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed one night before leaving for the airport Great place to stay. New and modern with a great kitchen and sitting area. Very comfortable. Close to a number of places to eat and the rental car return could not have been easier. Nice little breakfast in the morning. Good place for a base to visit the city since everything is close and easy, and very convenient for the airport. Staff was very nice and tied to help, but they could use a bit more training in giving local advice. Much better then your average airport hotel and the price is right. Would stay again without question. Only observation is no outdoor pool-the hotel pool is inside, but maybe that is the way of all hotels in that part of the world.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Worldtraveler123451
Hello Worldtraveler123451,

Thanks for the 5 star review! Your feedback is very important to us, and we so appreciate you to write out your experience here. I am so glad that you got to enjoy our location and the various amenities we offer. Come back and stay with us soon!

Warm regards,