“Highly recommend not to stay if you can help it”
Review of Motel 76

Motel 76
Motel 76
Ranked #134 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
California
“Highly recommend not to stay if you can help it”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I don't usually give out "As" or five stars and I definitely don't usually flunk or give "Fs", but Motel 76 in Albuquerque, NM deserves one giant F or one star. My family and I were driving to Texas from California for a funeral. We arrived in Albuquerque pretty late (10 pm), stopped to get gas and decided to stay the night. We considered staying at the La Quinta up the street, but, my brother was exhausted and the rates were fairly reasonable for one night and we definitely got what we paid for. A king room was $35 plus tax per night and a room with 2 queens was $40 per night. I've stayed in a roach motel once when I was younger and I knew what to expect with this place, though I saw no bugs, almost every corner in the room was filthy. The carpet was sticky and the mattress was worn so that I would roll to the middle for the bed. I fought to sleep on the firmer part of the mattress, if you want to even call it sleep. The lock on the door was not only a dead bolt on the inside, but also a looped cable was used as a form of security. My brother and his wife stayed across the court yard and he pushed a chair up under the door for additional security. The decor in the room wasn't anything all that great, and I wasn't expecting it to be so. But, I slept atop the comforter with my own blanket and pillow.

My mom roomed with me and just before going to sleep, pulled out her iPad. She took the cover off and placed it in the nightstand drawer. The next morning we were up early to get back on the road and she forget to grab the cover. We returned a couple days later and asked if anyone found the cover. We were informed they didn't have the cover. When my brother-in-law asked to inspect the room just in case the housekeeper didn't check the night stand drawer, it wasn't there, but, the housekeeper informed my brother-in-law that he would need to give her $5.00 to check the room. I couldn't believe that the house keeper would be so brazen. Not only did she know that the item wasn't there (I think she took it) and then "charged" him $5.00 to open up the room. It may have been just an iPad cover, but, that wasn't the point. The point was that (if the room was used after we checked out and or if the house keeper even bothered to check the night stand drawer), but that she had the audacity to charge him $5.00 to open up the room just to be sure. I highly recommend NOT staying at Motel 76, its filthy, unkempt, and staff (house keeping) appears to have little to no integrity.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hula324

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This hotel was just as expected - a bed, a shower, reasonably comfortable. No refrigerator, though. But it was cheap. The location is good - right off of the interstate. The front desk is a very small room, but they don't need anything bigger.

Room Tip: This place is fine for the price, but don't choose if you want a frig.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeeder
Bloomfield, New Mexico
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Beware of the cockroaches. They moved us to another room. It smelled horrible! We did not stay and was not able to get a refund . I highly recommend the owners spend time cleaning their rooms and riding the rooms of strange insects.

Room Tip: I would not stay here. You would be better off at another cleaner place.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jherbert08
Battle Ground, Washington
Reviewed 22 October 2012

This is your basic motel. The room we stayed in was comfortable and clean. The bed was in good condition and made for a good nights sleep. The internet service was the best I've had in ANY motel/hotel in a long time.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

This was definitly a case of "check for recent reviews" before you choose a place to stay. First of all there were absolutly no refunds, and I paid for two nights upfront. Or else I would have turned right around and found another place. The room was filthy. The carpet looked like it had never been cleaned. It had stains of unknown origin. The chairs in the room were so dirty that I was afraid to sit in them. We decided to get our sleeping bags out of the car instead of sleeping on their sheets, and even then that felt scary. I would have actually refered to it as a roach motel but I think the roaches felt there was a better place to stay.

Stayed October 2012
Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed 5 January 2010

The rate was reasonable. It was clean and quiet. Just the basics.

Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Araceli-Cheli
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 August 2004

Stayed one night @ hotel 76. Rate very reasonable, room clean. Very close to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member