“Very disappointed with Staff”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Midtown
Ranked #68 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Very disappointed with Staff”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We chose this hotel because it was close to downtown and the softball fields. Last year we happen to stay across the street at the Candlewood Suites, and wanted to stay at the Holiday Inn but they were sold out so this year I my husband placed reservation early. I was very disappointed with the staff at check in (Mellissa and Zharia). We were traveling from Phoenix, AZ and we had a family friend staying with us who happen to get into Albuquerque 4hours before us. We informed the hotel that our friend will be checking in for us (gave them our friend name). When he showed up he spoke to Zharia, and she told him that the hotel does not have a reservation for us, than gives her the confirmation# and said no I don't have a reservation in that confirmation. She than send him to the Holiday Inn on Eubank. So he went to the Holiday Inn on Eubank and they also told him the same thing. Our friend goes bank to this hotel and asked Zharia are you sure you don't have a reservation for us. she said yes! So than our friend gives us a call, and we call the hotel and gave her our Confirmation# and she's like yes I have you for tonight for two rooms, and we asked her if it was okay for our friend to check-in, she said yes that's fine, but her not knowing that the call was on a three way, Our friend goes back inside and tries to check in again but deny him to checking in because we were not present. Our friend said he will just wait for us to get there, so he slept in his car. Once we showed up we approach Mellissa and she was friendly asked me how far along I was "I told her six months" and checked us in. I went up to my room and I reserved a non-smoking single king (two rooms), but my room was smoking. I go back down to the lobby and asked to please switch my room I cannot stay in this room. Her knowing I was six months pregnant she wouldn't switch out my room ( than her attitude changes) and she hands me back the keys. I told her I'm sorry I am not stay in this room, if I wasn't pregnant and didn't have kids than I wouldn't have cared. I told her if she cannot get me a different room than find me another hotel that has non-smoking. That's when Zharia stepped in asked what the problem.We explained everything to her again and she also told us I'm sorry I cannot change your room out. Than she goes and tells us that we booked a smoking room and one non-smoking. I told her NO I didn't, I booked two non-smoking. I also told her I should have comments and an alert on my reservation. So she tells me if I can show some type of proof I booked non-smoking rooms, she will she what she can do for us. So I pulled up my reservation for her and gave that to her to look at. That's when she changed our room. So much hassle to get checked in after an 8hour drive. Yes I was very upset with the customer service that I experience at this Hotel. As for me who use to work in Hotels, this is not a way to treat your guest. Overall the rooms are great and very large, the only thing is the bathrooms are small you have to step around the toilet to close the door. Breakfast was good. I hope my next stay will be better.

1 Thank Marca W
Oruiz10, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Midtown, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Marca W,

Thank you for taking your time and providing your valuable feedback. On behalf of the entire team, we apologize as we failed to meet your expectations and deliver superior customer service we always strive to provide. The confusion and lack of attentiveness will be held accountable for and you can rest assured the proper training will be put in place to prevent this dissatisfaction from occuring again. We hope we can regain your confidence in us and provide us with another chance to replace the unsatisfactory experience. We hope to see you again soon!

Ottmar Ruiz
Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Rooms and area not bad but looks aren't everything not a bad restaurant next door but to make a long story short why stay here when you're personal property is not safe locked up or not stuff stolen gun etc even had everything locked up high crime area

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Midtown, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Mike M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in our products and services.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Del Mar, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed two different nights on the same trip at this hotel. Compared to the other hotels we stayed in the ABQ area, they don't compare to the Holiday Inn Express! The rooms are very large, since the hotel was built in 1988. That's a plus, because the floors are made of concrete, so you don't hear the person in the room above you, unlike wood floor hotels. Now, the breakfast was the best! Tanya welcomed us every morning, and even sat with us and kept me and my mother company! She is a GEM to this hotel, and to the company! She deserves a raise for going above and beyond, and working so hard during the early Breakfast hours - I hope the manager of this location realizes this. The only downside to the hotel, is that the top floors of the hotel are half smoking, and half non-smoking, a downside to sensitive nosed people like me. But it really didn't bug me not that much. Be sure to stay facing the EAST, and on the 5th or 6th (top) floors, because you will get a BREAKTAKING sunrise over the mountains early in the morning, right in your bed! Absolutely beautiful, and a beautiful hotel!

Room Tip: Get a East Side room, on the top 2 floors for a BREAKTAKING Sunrise! Top floor (6th) is Half Smokin...
Dear Michael K,

Thank you for taking your valuable time in providing us your feedback. I am very glad you had a great time with us and that Tanya went beyond and provided superior customer service. She is defenitely a great asset to our hotel. We are very glad you enjoyed the beautiful sunrise in the morning. We apologize on behalf of the entire team that our smoking section bothered you even if it was minimal. We will be working very hard to continue to deliver great service and product to maintain wonderful guests like yourself loyal to our hotel and brand.

Ottmar Ruiz
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Before visiting relatives in Albuquerque my wife and I were searching online for a hotel that would accommodate our needs during our two night stay. While searching we came across the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. Online it appeared to have everything we wanted such as a separate sleeping area, small area with a sink, refrigerator, microwave and a separate sitting area. It looked good online (which at times can be deceiving) but when we arrived we were not disappointed. The front desk attendant was great. We had arrived a few hours before regular check in time and were not sure if we would be able to check in. The young lady was very accommodating and we were checked in and in our room within minutes. We were pleasantly surprised to see that the room had everything we wanted and was pretty much what the web site claimed. The hotel was very easy to find and was central to all the places we visited while in the city. For a little over $100.00 a night (with AAA discount) we felt the price was reasonable and on our last day the breakfast served at the hotel was better than most we had in the past. The omelets and biscuits and gravy were tasty, the bacon and sausage were cooked well and there was plenty of fresh juice and coffee. Would I recommend this hotel to friends and family? Would I stay there again? The answer to both is WITHOUT A DOUBT.

1 Thank Tourist058
Oruiz10, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Midtown, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Tourist058,

On behalf of the entire team, we would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback about your most recent stay. I am very glad we were able to meet your needs and provide an excellent stay for you and your wife. Your feedback is of high importance and critical in the success of our team. Thank you again and we hope to see you as soon as the next opportunity arises. Best Regards

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My Dad and I spent 4 weeks there for personal travel. The staff was friendly and the hotel was clean, comfortable and a great location! The hotel is close to restaurants, bars and in a nice safe location. Every weekday morning we were greeted by Tanya at the breakfast. Tanya is always happy and smiling. She is extremely helpful and makes it so that you can't help but start the day happy!! The front desk folks were great too. The managers, Brenda and Mandy, were also fantastic. They took the time to say "Hi and ask how we were doing?" when they saw us. Can't thank everybody there enough for all of the hospitality while we were there.
Randy from Ohio

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Oruiz10, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Midtown, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Randy O,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We are very glad you had a wonderful stay and we were able to meet your needs. We constantly strive to make excellent stays for all of our guests and we are happy we are succeeding. Such feedback is vital and critical to the success of our team and we can not thank you enough for your valuable and honest feedback. Best Regards

Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We flew in to Albuquerque and spent a day and a half touring the city before friends picked us up there. Since we did not rent a car, we had to rely on the hotel's shuttle service that was basically at our "beckon call" most of the time. They could not do enough for us in order to get us where we wanted to go. They even went out of their way and took us out of their usual shuttle service route system, in order for us to go up the Sandia Mountains via tram for a sunset dinner. All of the hotel staff was really nice. Great breakfasts too. Cannot say enough about this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Mandy G, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Midtown, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Sauerw13,

Thank you for your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Midtown, the staff was delighted to know that your enjoyed your stay.

We pride ourselves on our guest service and always stress to our staff to go above and beyond to make a guests stay memorable. We are proud that those efforts were reflected in your review.

We hope that you will stay with us again when traveling to the area, and hope to welcome you back soon!

Best regards,
Mandy Gonzales
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed 20 March 2014

During our breakfast, Tanya was amazing. She was so helpful to everyone in the room and helped our teenagers make their pancakes. Tanya was extremely friendly and very energetic, happy, and polite. What a fantastic way to start the day. She gets a 10 out of 5, in my book!

The room was very nice and spacious. We had 2 queens and a pullout. One of the queen beds was a little hard, but we made do.

Thanks for the great night stay!! You do things the right way.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Carl G,

Thank you for your complimentary review on Trip Advisor. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Tanya is a great asset to our company and not only gets our guesst energized, but keeps the staff that way as well. Thank you again for the compliments. I have passed on your review to Tanya, and will share with the staff as well.

We hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,