“History”
Review of Albuquerque Museum

Albuquerque Museum
Ranked #11 of 224 things to do in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Owner description: The city's rich heritage is the focus at this museum, which features exhibits depicting the art, history and culture of the Southwest.
Reviewed 2 June 2012

It's been quite some time since I've been but they had a wealth of information on the history of the area. They also have rotating displays, and summer events that are of interest.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

My first few times and a couple other of my family members to this museum was dealing with the security for some reason they like to harass people with cameras, mobiles with cameras, digital recorders, as I found out since I had my mobile out awaiting some news from a family member in the hospital the guard was very rude as I showed him on my mobile there were no pictures on it and thought he would go away. I told him after ten minutes of him behind me to leave me alone or I would report him to the front desk, he just basically acted like he was all high and mighty said he could kick me out and I stated for what? you saw there was nothing on my mobile this is ridiculous and I walked away to tell the front desk, she was not pleasant either just said some policy stuff which I noted to her I had no camera, my mobile was on for emergency reasons and as for any pictures there was none of the museum on it. I filled out a formed and left very rude and to anyone who plans to go here I suggest to not take any mobiles in unless they are off, no cameras or digital recorders ( as the lockers are quite questionable some looked dented like they were broken into) they are way too strict for such a small collection and the staff doesn't help either.

1  Thank lovethenight
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I visited earlier this year, took some relatives that was visiting for the weekend. Was a good start to say the least since we did not have any cameras on us seems they hassle the ones whom do have cameras as I was in line 10 min just because they were giving the family ahead of us a hard time for having their camcorder and camera, seriously this museum is not the louvre as if they have such priceless art to protect, to have such a ridiculous rule with cameras and obviously after observing the lockers as we walked by them I would not trust anything in those cheaply built lockers. The overall visit was not pleasant as I had to have my mobile with me as I was waiting for some news from a family member in the hospital, the security was hassling me for having my mobile near me I showed him the only picture on my iphone was a wallpaper of my kids and myself at the park nothing in regards to the museum none the less he still followed us around I finally turned around told him I am here with my family, you saw I had nothing of the museum on my mobile and I need my family time so leave me alone, it was not pleasant at all he just acted like he was all mighty said he can kick me out if he wanted. the family members with me and my sons seemed bothered and I just walked away and we left so much for a family day out. I went home ashamed to say I took my family there and called the museum complained all the woman told me was something along the lines of for me to come back file a form complaint against the guard and nothing of an apology. I would not recommend this museum its just horrid to have that issue in such a small museum of no name art pieces I would like to say to anyone who does go and has to... do not have your mobile out leave it turned off while in there, even taking your sweater in on your arm causes them to act suspicious, dont take a camera or camcorder ( those lockers were not sturdy some seemed to look like they were broke into and the museum claims they are not liable if your items are stolen!) and get used the guards the attitudes are unbelievable.

1  Thank Miss_Marie77
Reviewed 25 May 2012

If you love great art & history this museum is a must see!! Besides the great collection of Taos Artist Works their is a fantastic collection (LOWER LEVEL_DON"T MISS IT!) of NM religious material, Spanish Textiles, Historic Conquistador Era Artifacts and more.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

We started our time here with a docent led walking tour of Old Town. The guide had pictures of the buildings as the originally were, and told stories about each one. It was a really good tour, and was free with admission to the museum, which was free because it was the first Wednesday of the month. After a great lunch at the Church Street Cafe, which was recommended by the guide, we went back to see the museum itself. The special exhibit of the Goya's etchings, "Los Caprichos" was excellent. It included prostitutes, witches, devils, hobgoblins (actually good helpful beings), aristocrats, dandies, all with grotesque Goya faces. There were three films presenting the history of Albuquerque, all interesting. The large permanent display was closed for renovation, but what we saw was a good overview of the city.