“Very shabby hotel”

Ranked #107 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Moran, Wyoming
“Very shabby hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

Lobby is fine. Our room was very tired and shabby. Easy chair had been torn and a repair attempted with white thread on a dark chair. Worst were kitchenette sink and the bathtub. Sink was stained and maintenance had tried to paint over it with white paint. Bathtub had rust stains (I hope) on the bottom 3 inches. Beds were OK but otherwise the room was very worn.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank BJBraman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

we stayed only one night,our room was clean and comfortable. When we checked in our refrigerator did not work,they moved us to another room. The rooms look a little worn and needs some work. We did not try the breakfast,the breakfast room was very crowded. They do offer a good plan for parking while you are traveling,a little less than the airport parking. We did take the hotel shuttle to the hotel from the airport,the driver did not speak English and did not know how to get to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank pcc10
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

This hotel is in need of major renovations. It is very run-down. Everything is so old looking.

Sleep quality is pretty bad. The beds and pillows are uncomfortable and the air conditioner makes it hard to keep a consistent temperature. The walls are thin, so it is noisy.

My bathroom smelled a little funky and the towels smelled like smoke.

The breakfast in the morning is nice and it's nice to have free wireless internet.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank escapeorlando
Chandler, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

I hate to speak ill about Quality Inn & Suites because my wife and I have stayed in some nice ones before. This was not one of them. The overall property is worn and in need of repair/renovation. The night we checked in (made an online reservation the week before), we had to switch rooms, not once but TWICE due to maintenance and upkeep issues. I had requested a room on the third floor originally, but because of the problems with the first two assignments, the clerk ended up putting us on the first floor instead.

Well, the room we ended up with (121) was next to the parking lot. And I can tell you right now, BLINDING bright floodlights do not make a good substitute for moonlight! In any case, the room itself -- the "suite" -- was cramped and showed a lot of wear and tear. My wife and I managed to eke out a night's sleep on the hard, lumpy bed -- a king bed that I think was designed for Napoleon (short!). The breakfast buffet was good, though I had planned on a simple bowl of oatmeal but they didn't have any. The staff, with the exception of the apologetic front desk clerk, didn't seem to care much and were not friendly at all. There was an overall air of indifference to the place. Needless to say, after breakfast we packed our bags and left as fast as we could! It's a shame because the property definitely has potential. But it's going to take a lot of capital improvements and prudent staff changes to get it there.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank PaulJRam
Dos Caballos, NM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

Nice clean room, good money saving breakfast, friendly staff and a great price make this our hotel in Albuquerque. My wife and I have stayed here for five years with no problems. This time we took our three grandkids. We all enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Las Cruces, NM
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

We are Choice Privileges members and try and stay at their hotels whenever we travel. We drove up from our home in Las Cruces to see "Beauty and the Beast," which was playing at Popejoy Hall on the campus of UNM. We needed a hotel nearby and at the suggestion of the Choice Hotels phone reservation operator, it was suggested that we stay at the "three star" Quality Suites on Gibson near UNM.

We arrived on the Sunday afternoon of the World Cup match, and were unimpressed with the lobby, however we persevered and took our overnight items to our "King Suite" -- a dark, dingy room with a perfumed smell -- apparently to cover a moldy smell. I walked in another room which was being cleaned.... same smell. I walked in a room where two housekeepers were sitting on the bed wathcing the soccer match! -- same smell!

Since we needed to get to the theatre, we decided that there was no use changing rooms for one night. The air conditioning unit was set to "on-off" mode with no controls to moderate temperatures. Witnin minutes we were freezing to death. The sheets were worn and in need of replacement.

We suffered through the experience, taking turns getting up to turn the air on and off. We had a dreadful night's sleep, arising before dawn to flee this place. When I told the clerk upon checkout how disappointed we were, she smiled and said "Sorry." This was no "bargain" at approximately $70 for this dreadful room -- and that is with the AARP discount!

Upon our return home, I called the "customer service" department of Choice Hotels and had to wait 40 minutes to speak to a "service representative" who listened to the complaint, assigned me a case number, and assured me I would hear from the hotel within 72 hours.

It is now over 10 days since our stay..... not a word.... I called Choice Customer Service again and "only" had to wait 25 minutes to speak to a representative. She said I should have received a letter of apology from the hotel. I did not.

After much prodding, I was offered a "$10 goodwill offering" or 300 points. I took the points and will hope that we have better luck in our future travels!

If Choice Hotels are supposed to be rated each year, they missed this dump. I would take away all its stars and leave it in the dark.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LCDude
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

We know that a lot of hotels these days that say they're all suites, are not real suites. They'll have half a wall between two beds or something silly like that. We wanted separate bedrooms, so I was sure to call and ask specifically for this before booking the room. They assured me there there was a separate bedroom, even giving me the layout of the king "suite" (main room w/sleeper sofa --> bathroom --> bedroom). What they didn't tell me was that the bedroom doesn't have a door. It's a wide opening between the bedroom and front room (bathroom is actually off to the side). NO privacy between rooms. We weren't happy at all about being deceived and have added the question, "Is there a door?" to our future list of inquiries. The king bed was very comfortable. Sofa bed, not so much, be we didn't expect it to be. The front room was tiny with NO room to move around once the sofa bed was unfolded. It was against the desk on one side, about 6 inches away from the skinny bar counter along the whole foot of the bed, and maybe a little over a foot from the other side wall. We wish that we had been told this too, especially when the knew we had 4 people and the ages of our older children. Their suitcase had to be placed on the small desk and could only be accessed by crawling across the bed.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family