“Bed Bugs and attitudes” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Silver City, New Mexico, US
“Bed Bugs and attitudes”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

Visited this hotel and room (235) in Dec. 2010 in preparation for my wife's surgery at Presbyterian. Good location, good room, nice people. Arrived Feb. 27, went to bed. Next day, hot tub. Early rise following morning to hospital I noticed an irritation on my chest. Thought it was the chemicals in the tub. Next three days were a blur of hospitals, few hours sleep at the hotel, meeting with the surgeon at dawn. Rough times. Finally, when the itching kept getting worse, I asked one of my wife's nurses to look at my chest. 'Bug bites', she said. Impossible, I thought. Not at the HIE! By Friday morning at 4am I knew that I had to do something and I couldn't risk bringing my wife back to the the room I was in. I railed at the front desk people showing them my bites and they moved me to 221, another handicap room. My bites continued to get worse but I had my wife as a priority so I toughed it out, got her out of the hospital, and prepped to drive back to Silver City. We asked to speak with the franchise owner, Molly Judd, but she stood us up. The Guest Services manager was useless and implied that it was just my imagination. The cleaning help didn't find anything and why didn't I move earlier? Her version of professional courtesy.
We've been loyal HIE people for while, Priority Club members, all that. Never had a problem and would never expect to have one, especially a problem with bed bugs. This was a great disappointment and could have been a medical tragedy for my wife with bed bugs in an open wound. This has become an epidemic problem in some northern states but I never suspected it here in the Southwest, but I guess it can happen anywhere to anybody. Nothing personal, but skip this hotel until it gets a clean bill of mental and physical health. I would still support HIE as a chain but this kind of treatment of loyal customers cannot and should not be tolerated.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank starlight22
ABQYI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport, responded to this review, 17 March 2011
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Although your review cannot be edited after its posting I am glad that after
our telephone conversation you feel that we are genuinely concerned for our
guests as well as their safety and comfort. Your belief that we immediately
and aggressively addressed your concerns is of the utmost importance to me.
As we discussed on the phone I would like to assure you, and all of our
guests, that we have fully addressed the concern of bed bugs in our guest
rooms. As we take our guests' health and safety very seriously we decided
it would be best to have an inspection performed by two separate, licensed
pest control companies. Neither company that inspected the room found any
signs of bed bugs anywhere in the room and we are prepared to share this
information with any of our valued guests as confirmation. Despite this
clean bill of health we had the room treated nonetheless to ensure that our
guests continue to enjoy the security of knowing that they are safe in our
hotel.
I am always pleased to read positive reviews about our property but this
review and your concerns gave me the unique opportunity to be reminded that
the concern of bed bugs is very real to our guests. Please rest assured
that we will continue to uphold the highest standards of cleanliness and
safety to ensure that all of our guests have nothing but the highest level
of satisfaction when leaving our property! Should you or any of our other
valued guests have any further questions or concerns please contact me as it
will be my pleasure to speak to you.

Molly Judd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Durango, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2011

Pros: When we got to the hotel, we were told there was a volleyball team that had decided to extend their stay, so our requested 2-queen suite was no longer available. (We had requested that room as there were 3 of us.) Instead, the reception manager gave us 2 adjoining rooms - a king room and a 2-queen room, for no extra charge. In addition, when they charged my card, the total with taxes etc. came to $25 less than the quoted price when I booked and prepaid online at the Priority Club/ICHhotels website, so that was a nice extra bonus as well!
Overall, the hotel is very suitable. The rooms are fairly spacious, the decor is blah but looks fairly recent, nothing to get excited about but great considering what we paid.

One con: the basin sinks, which look lovely, are actually awkward to use if you're not tall (my traveling companions and I are all under 5'5" tall). I'm the tallest, and while it was fine for hand-washing, trying to wash my face in the sink was a real challenge. We got lots of laughs out of those sinks.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Gresham, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

As mentioned before - I pretty much stay exclusively at Holiday Inns. This location was wonderful - comfortable and friendly. There were a couple little minor hickups (brief interruption in internet) which the Manager was very apologetic about. But, they were quick to resolve any issue and made it a very comfortable stay. I also enjoyed all the staff. Very friendly and professional.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ABQYI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport, responded to this review, 15 February 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property!! It was a real pleasure having you stay with us! Your understanding of our hiccups was appreciated and I am so pleased that we were able to resolve them quickly and without to much inconvenience to you. I know that internet access is very important, especially when traveling on business. Rest assured we have addressed the issue and have seen no further disruption. Should your travels bring you to Albuquerque again we hope that you will continue to be our guest! Thank you again for your kind words and thank you for your loyalty!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2011

Clean, excellent value, wonderful staff. The hot breakfast was good and the pancake maker was fascinating as we had not seen one before, only those pain in the tail sticky waffle makers. I loved the easy no work pancakes! Defiantly going here if in area again!

• Stayed February 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We can't wait to have you join us the next time you are in Albuquerque! It is great to hear that our new pancake maker was fun and easy to use. Thank you again for posting your review and thank you so much for being our guest!

Spokane, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

For business in Albuquerque no choice was given--this was the hotel my colleague was staying at. I was pleased to find that it was recently updated, clean, quiet, and had the customer service I have come to expect from the chain. Zero complaints. I didn't try the apparently new pancake machine at breakfast, but it definitely intrigued me.

The room did include a microwave and good-sized refrigerator.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ABQYI, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport, responded to this review, 9 February 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our property! It is great to hear that although you had no choice in staying with us you were pleased with our acommodations. We would love to have you as our guest in our hotel again! Next time you are with us the fresh hot pancakes are definitely worth a try. They are delicious! We look forward to seeing you again! Thank you again for your kind words and thank you for being our guest!

Kindest regards,
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

This is a fresh and clean and obviously new Holiday Inn Express. It even smelled nice. We choose this one out of many low-priced options based on the other high ratings and were still pleasantly surprised. The rooms are clean and modern. The breakfast area is great. I ate too many of those sausages and cinnamon rolls, and the pancake maker is neat! Whether for one night or a few, you'll get a nice rest and filling breakfast and be on your way with a smile.

Only complaint - the microfridge and the air conditioner in the room were too loud. (Walls just a touch thin too.) We ended up unplugging the microfridge. It is so nice to have one, but really too bad it's so noisy. Rattles really bad. But don't let that deter you. This is a great place to stay. It's better than some hotels rated one or two stars higher.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property! Guest input, whether positive or negative, is our best means of improvement and we always appreciate when a guest takes the time to let us know how we are doing. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and our pancake maker! This is a brand new addition to Holiday Inn Express and we are so happy that our guests are loving it! I also would like to thank you for letting us know about the problem you had with your in room refrigerator. I am pleased that we are able to look into the situation. Our in room refrigerators are meant to be a convenience to our guests not a difficulty. I am working with our maintenance to department to ensure that we can curtail this problem so no one else is disturbed. Thank you again so much for your review and thank you for being our guest!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

We chose Holiday Inn Express (Airport) because of the brand and location. It was so nice to have the shuttle to take us to and from the airport. The driver was so nice. Deb, the manager on duty, checked us in. She was terrific--so friendly and professional. Our room was cozy and comfortable. We loved the complimentary cookies and tea which was an added bonus after a long day of traveling from Boston. Speaking of food, you can't beat the breakfast in the morning. It wasn't your typical continental style. There were eggs and other hot items. Since we stayed two nights, it was nice to be able to have eggs one day and cereal the other with yogurt and other fruits. The gentleman on duty our second night was exceptional. My husband asked him if he had an aspirin. He returned a couple of moments later with some aspirin and bottled water. I would stay here again and will recommend it to friends and family in the future.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay at our property! It is always a pleasure to hear that a guest enjoyed their stay with us. I am thrilled to hear that Deb and our other staff members are working hard to make you, our guest, know how valuable you are to us. It is also great to hear that you would join us again! We look forward to seeing you again should your travels bring you back to Albuquerque. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property!

Regards,