“Not a Five Star Experience”
Review of Hotel Parq Central

Hotel Parq Central
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not a Five Star Experience”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I normally stay at the Andaluz when coming to Albuquerque, but this time it was booked up and with so many overwhelming positive reviews, I must admit, I had high expectations for Parq Central. This review is based on my expectations of a well-rated 5-star hotel. It is a fine hotel, but I do not see the overwhelming appeal that other reviewers do.

PROS
* Clean rooms (mostly - a couple of hidden stains on the inside of the bathroom door and the pull-out desk)
* Good complimentary continental breakfast - great pastries, quiche, fresh fruit. Selection is virtually the same every day, and while good, is fairly limited.
* Good quality soaps and toiletries
* Good value - free parking, reasonable rates

CONS
* Front desk staff seemed a bit inexperienced and strangely timid. After checking in, a staff member gave me an unprompted instructional tour of the hotel - explaining breakfast, how to get coffee, how to get ice (with show and tell), and walking me into to my room and explaining where the fridge was, etc. This guided tour felt awkward and completely unnecessary.
* No hotel restaurant (except for tapas at the roof bar)
* Lobby floor was almost too clean - each time I walked through the lobby, the floor was either being mopped or was still damp from being just mopped.
* Several quirks made the room a little bit uncomfortable...
1. The guestroom door had gaps around the edges, allowing bright light from the hallway to shine into the room, acting as a permanent nightlight. I hung my bathrobe in front of the door to block some of the light, though, admittedly, it was kind of creepy having a shadowy figure hanging in the doorway at night.
2. The low rumble of dragging furniture coming from the ceiling was a constant feature from about 9pm-12pm every night in my third floor guestroom, as the fourth-floor rooftop bar was directly above my room. This made it hard to sleep well.
3. The guestroom doors slam quite loudly if you aren't careful. My neighbor felt it necessary to test the loudness of his door about 10 times in a row at 1am.
4. The door to the bathroom is a sliding door and does not fully close, lock, or latch shut. It also slams easily. This is awkward for privacy reasons if you travel with anyone else.
5. The sink basin is square shaped and flat bottomed, and this makes it very difficult to rinse the sink clean after shaving.
6. Overall impression of the rooms is that they could use better decor. They were spacious, but felt sparse and lacked character.

I normally sleep better at hotels than I do at home - but because of the noise and hallway light, this past week at the Hotel Parq Central has not been a restful one for me. Your mileage may vary. I'll be sticking with the Andaluz next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the third floor - noise from the outdoor bar is no good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tidanmd
MatthewTroche, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Tidan MD,

Firstly, we apologize for taking so long in responding to your review! Thank you providing us with both the areas where Hotel Parq Central exceeded your expectations and where we might have some room to improve. It is exactly this type of feedback we look toward in our decision making processes. We have provided this information to all applicable managers and staff and will work to implement some minor tweaks in our never ending attempt to improve our hotel. If you would ever wish to stay with us again please contact me directly and I will do everything in my power to ensure your stay is entirely perfect. All the best and hope to see you soon.- Matthew Troche

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We were very pleasantly surprised both by the building, the rooms and the overall set up. This was very affordable luxury, loved the breakfast on the patio outside and the drinks on the 4th floor patio overlooking the city. The staff at the front desk and check in, while still very young, went out of their way to show us around and help us find galleries and restaurants. Very short drive to the airport. Would definitely consider it again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MatthewTroche, Guest Services Specialist at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Lode D,
Thank you immensely for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience at Hotel Parq Central. More so, some of our front desk staff who are starting to feel a bit older absolutely love that you called us young! All jokes aside, the fact that you enjoyed yourself here means the world to us. Please come and join us again as soon as soon as possible as it was such a treat to have you here with us. All the best and see you soon. –Matthew Troche
Connecticut, USA
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We came to the Hotel Parq for two nights, had to go elsewhere in NM for one night (an event), then returned for our last night in ABQ. I would have given it five stars except that on our last night, in a different room, the thermostat did not allow us to reduce the temperature for sleeping. We called the desk twice but they said the temperature couldn't be changed. Hubby didn't like that at all, especially since our first room allowed it. As we checked out, we spoke to the person at the desk (a third time to address the issue). She apologized and said a room's temperature can be overridden from their end. So the right hand didn't exactly know what the left was doing, but they discounted our bill slightly.

Other than that, however, I thought the rooms were very comfortable and clean. We enjoyed the rooftop bar, and I liked sitting in the courtyard to read a bit before having to leave for family events. The complimentary breakfast was very good, as well. I will probably return if I have more family events in Albuquerque to attend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
MatthewTroche, Guest Services Specialist at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Barbara T,
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at Hotel Parq Central. While it sounds like your time here was largely pleasant it, it also sounds like there were some areas where perhaps we could have done a bit better.
Please know that one of the items we invested heavily in was a state of the art heating and cooling system. Despite this, it sounds like you did have some temperature issues and for that we deeply apologize. Please know that if you ever choose to stay with us again we will see to it that your room is precisely the optimal temperature.
Again, please let us know if we might ever have the opportunity again to host you as it would be our absolute pleasure to show you why we the best in town. Feel free to contact me directly should that ever be the case. All the best.-Matthew Troche
Washington DC
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever enjoyed. I love the inner courtyard, the combination of intimate spaces where small groups could convene for conversation, and - of course - that beautiful rooftop bar. But perhaps the very best thing was the friendliest, most helpful staff I've ever encountered.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that are right by I-25
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
MatthewTroche, Guest Service Specialist at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear NovaTraveler,
While we certainly pride ourselves with our exquisite location and beautiful courtyard, we fully realize that nothing trumps the importance of having a staff that is whole heartedly committed to meeting each and every one of our guests' needs. Thank you ever so much for pointing that out! Please come back and join us as soon as possible as it is always a privilege to host guests as wonderful as you. All the best. –Matthew Troche
Tijeras, New Mexico
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stay here every time we travel to Albq. Why? Beautiful rooms with Great bathrooms, comfortable beds and pillows, pristinely clean, extremely friendly staff from front desk to servers at excellent complimentary breakfast. Also, the sausage/green chile quiche is fabulous, as is the fresh fruit. Close to everything as well, walk to good places to eat (Standard Diner, Holy Cow, Artichoke Cafe).

• Stayed May 2014
MatthewTroche, Guest Services Specialist at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Rita8740,
Thank you so much for your continued loyalty to our hotel. We know you have a number of choices when it comes to finding a place to stay here in Albuquerque and we love that you choose Hotel Parq Central time after time. We eagerly look forward to your next visit and will save you a piece of that yummy sausage and green chile quiche for your next visit. All the best.-Matthew Troche
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here 5 days while visiting Albuquerque. Hotel Parq has almost everything you want in a first-rate hotel, without things you don't want. Things you want: free, secure parking with ample number of spaces; free Wi Fi; good complementary continental breakfast with good coffee/tea and real utensils with cloth napkins which the wait staff busses once you've finished. And a large dining area to eat in.

We had a 1st floor "deluxe" king bed room which is the largest room, except for the cottages. The room is by no means spacious, but neither was it cramped. High ceiling. It had a small refrigerator, but no microwave oven. Modern bathroom and fixtures; no bathtub but a large glass shower with "rain shower" nozzle. Room safe for valuables. King bed had a firm mattress and great pillows which didn't cause our allergies to flare. The central heating worked great; we couldn't even tell when warm air was entering, but the room stayed at the temperature set on the thermostat. Minor negatives: the bathroom fan was noisy, and automatically turned on with the bathroom light. Toilet paper was thin and weak; surprising since the other amenities: soap, shampoo, conditioner, towels were all high quality.

Hotel Parq has a hot jacuzzi, but no pool. I used the Fitness Room which was OK, but small and nothing to watch except yourself in the mirror.
Thursday night we decided to check out the rooftop lounge. We didn't expect the sports bar/loud music scene when we entered, and quickly sought quiet outside on the rooftop where there are chairs and tables set up. But it had rained earlier and the chair seat cushions were all damp. The view to the north was the I-25 freeway. To the south, downtown Albuquerque has few tall buildings, none with any unusual architecture or lighting. To the west were some mountains which we couldn't see because it was night. We returned to our room, disappointed.
Notwithstanding minor disappointments, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience staying at Hotel Parq, and were somewhat surprised we slept so well, as Albuquerque is a mile high and we came from Chicago, at sea level. Credit must go to Hotel Parq Central.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JohnVic_11,

Thank you for such a comprehensive review of our property. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and always appreciate when guests let us know where we might have some room to improve. Simply put, if a guest’s experience is not entirely exemplary, we will do everything in our power to make sure their next visit exceeds all expectations.
In regards to our room sizes, we do have two room types larger than the deluxe; those would be our suites, and my personal favorite, the Executive. Both provide a bit more room to move about and a level of comfort unmatched by any comparable room in the city. We are so sorry you were not informed about these rooms types and will certainly hold one should you ever choose to return to our hotel. We truly hope your travel plans bring you back soon. All the best.- Matthew Troche
Occidental, California
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This hotel lived up to its reputation as a modern, comfortable hotel. Ive stayed in hotels all over the world and in all cost levels, and Hotel Parq Central is up there with the absolute best. Besides the lovely rooms, beautiful grounds, and delicious breakfasts, the staff was utterly amazing! They offered rides to and from the airport, to and from the University neighborhood, and to and from downtown. Friendly and helpful do not do the staff justice. I'd rate the staff as out of this world! Matt, you're the best!

The bar on the roof was fun and reasonably priced. The outdoor roof deck offered a wonderful view of Albuquerque, as did some of the room windows. My mother, sister, and I were truly sad to leave this wonderful place. And we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ShawnConna
MatthewTroche, Guest Service Specialist at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear ShawnConna,
It is so kind of you to take the time and write such a gracious review of our property. We can honestly say we were all so sad to see you and your entire family leave us and our hope is that you all return as soon as humanly possible. So often our guests make such a positive impression on us and this was certainly the case with you all. Please let us know when your travel plans might bring you back to our lovely city and we will make sure to roll out the red carpet for you and the rest of your family. All the best and see you soon.- Matthew Troche