“Do not get the massage!!”
Review of Hotel Parq Central

Hotel Parq Central
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Spring, Texas
“Do not get the massage!!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I actually booked this hotel part of our honeymoon road trip. We booked the massage and it was $400 for 1.5 hours. The ladies showed up at 10 on the dot. Took them around 15-20 mins to set up. My masseuse was terrible and she was actually the owner herself. She was already starting to pack by 10:30AM. I tipped $40 on top of $360 only because her assistant did do a good job on my husband. Came home and our card was charged for $1100. They had a hold of $400 that we were never made aware of. It was a nice hotel, but was NOT worth the trouble and money.

1 Thank NickyCubides
MatthewTroche, Guest Service Specialist at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Nicky,

It is a terrible disappointment to us that one of featured services was not enjoyable for you and your husband. Generally speaking, our masseuse is highly regarded and recommended by our guests but be that as it may, we deeply appreciate you letting us know that your experience was less than spectacular. Please know as well that I will reinspect your folio to insure against any inaccuracies.
It is our deepest hope that you are given a second chance to show why Hotel Parq Central is the most relaxing hotel in Albuquerque. If your plans ever bring you back to our vicinity please contact me directly and we will insure that every aspect of your stay in utterly perfect. We hope to hear from you all soon. All the best. _Matthew Troche

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
V
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is an historic sight, the former Santa Fe Hospital. The hotel is beautiful with lots of little cozy spaces to enjoy your time. We stayed in the doctors building. Our room was not large but there was a family room to spread out in right next to our room. We watched the sun set over the city from the roof top. There is a bar on the roof if you need refreshments while you are enjoying the view.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MatthewTroche, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear IMS 1950,
Watching the sunset in the Apothecary Lounge really is a special event isn’t it? Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your time here at Hotel Parq Central. It truly was a pleasure to host you and eagerly look forward to your next visit. All the best! –Matthew Troche
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Parq Central on two separate nights in May. The hotel is a former hospital, built in the 1920s for railroad workers . The renovation has resulted in an outstanding property decorated with interesting railroad and hospital ephemera and artifacts. There is a lovely outdoor patio where one can enjoy the outstanding breakfast provided, or just relax at any time. We were picked up at the airport for our first night's stay by a free shuttle provided by the hotel, and the driver arrived within ten minutes after we called. The hotel room was smallish, but quite adequate, with a quite comfortable bed. On our second night's stay, later in the week, we were upgraded to an impressive suite, which, unfortunately, turned out to be a bit noisy from traffic on the busy street below. There is a rooftop bar, and outside area in which to enjoy the lights of the city at night. We had a light dinner there, and, while the food was not "topnotch", it did satisfy the weary traveler. Had we wished to go to Old Town to find a restaurant, the hotel would have provided free transportation to and from, had we requested it. This is a delightful hotel for a history buff, or for a traveler wanting a unique experience of Albuquerque. I recommend it highly for its friendly service, and for historical value.

Dear Joyce M,

Thanks for the kind review! We love when guest choose our hotel not only for the wide variety of amenities but also for our hotel’s storied past. We realize there were a few kinks in your stay and please know should you ever choose to stay again we will make certain that all are resolved. We hope to see you come through our doors again and if you ever have any questions as to our establishment’s past we would love to have that discussion! All the best-Matthew Troche
Paris - France
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We staid here one night last summer while we were doing a 3 week trip in the US.

We were entirely satisfied with our stay. The welcome from staff was high level and very professional.

We were shown and explained the premises, before going to our room. Our room was not so spacious, but we loved the very tasteful decor.

This is a very special place, being and ancient building there is an atmosphere you would not find in a new one.

We slept like babies, the bed was top comfortable. We enjoyed the breakfast on the following morning, we found everything we could wish for.

If we ever return to Albuquerque, there is no single doubt : we will definitely come back here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
MatthewTroche, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Globetrekkie girl,

It sounds like you had quite an adventure traversing across the United States! We truly want to thank you for making Hotel Parq Central part to that journey. The storied history of the hotel means so much to us, and we always appreciate when guest recognize the significance of the establishment. We can’t wait for you to stay with us again and promise this next visit will exceed even that of the first. All the best and see you soon! -Matthew Troche
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I normally stay at the Andaluz when coming to Albuquerque, but this time it was booked up and with so many overwhelming positive reviews, I must admit, I had high expectations for Parq Central. This review is based on my expectations of a well-rated 5-star hotel. It is a fine hotel, but I do not see the overwhelming appeal that other reviewers do.

PROS
* Clean rooms (mostly - a couple of hidden stains on the inside of the bathroom door and the pull-out desk)
* Good complimentary continental breakfast - great pastries, quiche, fresh fruit. Selection is virtually the same every day, and while good, is fairly limited.
* Good quality soaps and toiletries
* Good value - free parking, reasonable rates

CONS
* Front desk staff seemed a bit inexperienced and strangely timid. After checking in, a staff member gave me an unprompted instructional tour of the hotel - explaining breakfast, how to get coffee, how to get ice (with show and tell), and walking me into to my room and explaining where the fridge was, etc. This guided tour felt awkward and completely unnecessary.
* No hotel restaurant (except for tapas at the roof bar)
* Lobby floor was almost too clean - each time I walked through the lobby, the floor was either being mopped or was still damp from being just mopped.
* Several quirks made the room a little bit uncomfortable...
1. The guestroom door had gaps around the edges, allowing bright light from the hallway to shine into the room, acting as a permanent nightlight. I hung my bathrobe in front of the door to block some of the light, though, admittedly, it was kind of creepy having a shadowy figure hanging in the doorway at night.
2. The low rumble of dragging furniture coming from the ceiling was a constant feature from about 9pm-12pm every night in my third floor guestroom, as the fourth-floor rooftop bar was directly above my room. This made it hard to sleep well.
3. The guestroom doors slam quite loudly if you aren't careful. My neighbor felt it necessary to test the loudness of his door about 10 times in a row at 1am.
4. The door to the bathroom is a sliding door and does not fully close, lock, or latch shut. It also slams easily. This is awkward for privacy reasons if you travel with anyone else.
5. The sink basin is square shaped and flat bottomed, and this makes it very difficult to rinse the sink clean after shaving.
6. Overall impression of the rooms is that they could use better decor. They were spacious, but felt sparse and lacked character.

I normally sleep better at hotels than I do at home - but because of the noise and hallway light, this past week at the Hotel Parq Central has not been a restful one for me. Your mileage may vary. I'll be sticking with the Andaluz next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the third floor - noise from the outdoor bar is no good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tidanmd
Dear Tidan MD,

Firstly, we apologize for taking so long in responding to your review! Thank you providing us with both the areas where Hotel Parq Central exceeded your expectations and where we might have some room to improve. It is exactly this type of feedback we look toward in our decision making processes. We have provided this information to all applicable managers and staff and will work to implement some minor tweaks in our never ending attempt to improve our hotel. If you would ever wish to stay with us again please contact me directly and I will do everything in my power to ensure your stay is entirely perfect. All the best and hope to see you soon.- Matthew Troche
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We were very pleasantly surprised both by the building, the rooms and the overall set up. This was very affordable luxury, loved the breakfast on the patio outside and the drinks on the 4th floor patio overlooking the city. The staff at the front desk and check in, while still very young, went out of their way to show us around and help us find galleries and restaurants. Very short drive to the airport. Would definitely consider it again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MatthewTroche, Guest Services Specialist at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Lode D,
Thank you immensely for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience at Hotel Parq Central. More so, some of our front desk staff who are starting to feel a bit older absolutely love that you called us young! All jokes aside, the fact that you enjoyed yourself here means the world to us. Please come and join us again as soon as soon as possible as it was such a treat to have you here with us. All the best and see you soon. –Matthew Troche
Connecticut, USA
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We came to the Hotel Parq for two nights, had to go elsewhere in NM for one night (an event), then returned for our last night in ABQ. I would have given it five stars except that on our last night, in a different room, the thermostat did not allow us to reduce the temperature for sleeping. We called the desk twice but they said the temperature couldn't be changed. Hubby didn't like that at all, especially since our first room allowed it. As we checked out, we spoke to the person at the desk (a third time to address the issue). She apologized and said a room's temperature can be overridden from their end. So the right hand didn't exactly know what the left was doing, but they discounted our bill slightly.

Other than that, however, I thought the rooms were very comfortable and clean. We enjoyed the rooftop bar, and I liked sitting in the courtyard to read a bit before having to leave for family events. The complimentary breakfast was very good, as well. I will probably return if I have more family events in Albuquerque to attend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
MatthewTroche, Guest Services Specialist at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Barbara T,
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at Hotel Parq Central. While it sounds like your time here was largely pleasant it, it also sounds like there were some areas where perhaps we could have done a bit better.
Please know that one of the items we invested heavily in was a state of the art heating and cooling system. Despite this, it sounds like you did have some temperature issues and for that we deeply apologize. Please know that if you ever choose to stay with us again we will see to it that your room is precisely the optimal temperature.
Again, please let us know if we might ever have the opportunity again to host you as it would be our absolute pleasure to show you why we the best in town. Feel free to contact me directly should that ever be the case. All the best.-Matthew Troche