“Perfect Evening”

The St. James Tearoom
Ranked #2 of 34 Coffee & Tea in Albuquerque
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The St. James Tearoom sprang up out of the recognition of a great need in society today: the need to escape the “Tyranny of the Urgent” of our modern day frenetic pace of life, to rest, reflect, and above all, foster relationships in a society that often creates shallow ones. We provide for this need by serving a full, British-style, afternoon tea in elegantly decorated nooks that are perfect for re-connecting with friends and family. We are by reservation only so give us a call or make your reservation online.
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I'd always gone to St. James during the day, but this time I scheduled an evening tea to celebrate my birthday with family, and it was as lovely as ever. The tea was scrumptious, and so were all the savories, breads, and sweets. They were enough to make a light dinner. The atmosphere was wonderful, the cushioned sofas comfortable, and for two hours we felt we'd been transported to a much slower and gentler time and place -- perhaps the Edwardian England of the gentry. By the end of the evening we were all feeling relaxed and happy with each others' company. The service is top-notch, and a gluten-free meal was available for one of my guests for a slight extra charge. This is a very special place in which to unwind slowly, with a chance to dress up a bit if you choose. A wonderful way to relax and engage in unhurried conversation, and a memorable choice for a special occasion. Reserve ahead.

1  Thank Linnea H
There are newer reviews for The St. James Tearoom

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I'm a local who has heard about this place for awhile and I am sad it took me so long to go! I thought the food would be too fancy and not tasty- I was completely wrong. It felt as if we were nestled in an English castle, the service and ambiance were perfect. It is a fun and unique experience that I will be back for!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

What an amazing place to spend with a friend/loved one to enjoy their company and conversation. Understand that this is not a full service restaurant but a place to enjoy high tea which does not provide, what we expect as, full portions but several tiers/types of food as well as tea. You can visit the website to view the current menu and see what the current offering for the month is. Each month is themed in regards to the food and the tea is paired to each plate of food. During our visit it was based on high tea on the HMS Titanic. If the tea selection is not to your liking you can request a different pot from your server. You are treated as royalty from the time you step in the door with a polite caring staff. The wait staff is assigned to you personally so you are ensured excellent service. The food was excellently prepared and we did not leave any left overs nor did we take any home and as mentioned the tea was paired excellently with each course. The costs can be considered slightly high but with the food and personalized service it's more than worth it. All in all it was great experience and my wife and I will be back when we visit Albuquerque again.

4  Thank Retrofire
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Cute little cottage. The teas are good, the food is OK, since there is no menu choice, if you don't like what is proposed that day, you are out of luck. You pay the price of a full meal in a nice restaurant for a snack. Yet it is original and I enjoy going once in a great while.

2  Thank OlivierAZ
Reviewed 8 April 2014

If you like tea and a bit of spoiling, this is a lovely place to go for a different experience. The staff is very knowledgeable about tea and seem to really enjoy presenting the tea. Each month is a different theme for the tea. It is a bit pricey, but if you have never experienced high tea, or really enjoy high tea, this is a great place. On a pretty day, the grounds are lovely and "tea time" is two hours. Be sure to get reservations in advance and they cannot be canceled at the last minute or it will cost you. Everything is made fresh and so delicious.