“Our Best Stay on Our South West Trip”

Los Poblanos Historic Inn & Organic Farm
Ranked #8 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Our family travelled around Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado for a month and we found Los Poblanos to be our favourite stay. This is some complement on a trip that included the Encantado Resort in Santa Fe and Dunton Hot Springs.

Los Poblanos has a distinct New Mexican ambience. The reception rooms are in the main historic ranch building with old beams and religious art. The bedrooms are in plain, austere New England style, that proved to be tasteful and relaxing. A large pool, an active organic farm where our 7 year old daughter could gather her own eggs for breakfast and extensive gardens for walks were all part of the experience. Breakfast was at the high end of the US B&B experience, with egg dishes given a very distinctive New Mexico flavour with chillies and pulses. Finally my wife loved the shop at the inn, food products, cooking books and ornaments all made their way into our suitcases.

My only recommendation is that the inn was dabbling with providing simple food in the evening and this could be offered on a more regular basis.

Albuquerque as a place is something of an acquired taste, it does not have the immediate charm of Santa Fe or Taos. Los Poblanos is definitely reason enough to go there

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank chrismcl

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Wonderful staff and friendly owner, Penny, are the added plus to this bed & breakfast. Room is very clean, Los Poblanos Lavender toiletries are included in the room, fire place is great, towels are fluffy and white white (yes, I didn't type in white twice accidentally), and white white sheet. The surrounding is so peaceful and quiet (I think they put on somekind of sound proof wall), with lavender field, some baby goats, colorful peacock, Albert the white peacock, Lily the cow and some other farm animals. They also provide bicycles, big and small to use, with safety helmets, gym and pool (though it was still closed during my staying in early Spring). The green house is also beautiful. Farm Shop is cute. The cheft serves gourmet organic breakfast, very healthy and very delicious. Choice of teas are excellent. Close to Old Town. It was a wonderful place. I love it!

Room Tip: Me and my family stayed in one of the room with front and back patio by the pond. I think these room...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Los Poblanos Historic Inn has a unique charm. It is an Inn/Farm that has lovely gardens, space to move about outside, and a delightful charm. Our room, Meem 2, was large, clean and the bed comfortable. Loved the lavender soaps, etc. There is both a shower stall with great water pressure and a separate tub. We were able to make a fire in the kiva on the cool evenings. The east window has a beautiful view of the Sandia Mountains. The two resident peacocks are absolutely beautiful and a peacock call on a lovely spring morning adds to the uniqueness! It is a farm. The Inn makes available a breakfast in the dining room. We were able to get coffee and a pastry-type offering shortly before the "official" hours. Two breakfast entrees were made available. It is run more like a restaurant than a B&B. Coffee, tea, juice, milk and granola are self serve. There was a sense that the diner needs to ask questions about meat being added to the plate (bacon or sausage); if yogurt is available (it is not left out on the buffet); if toast is not desired, etc. I can report that the eggs were fresh and flavorful; the plain yogurt and steel cut oatmeal were delicious. The staff was working diligently to take care of the guests in the dining room and it became crowded as the breakfast hour wore on. Both the bike path and the Aldo Leopold hiking trail that runs along the Rio Grande are close to the farm and bicycles can be checked out.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Los Poblanos Inn is located on an organic lavender farm near the Rio Grande. The comfortable accommodations, beautiful surroundings, and delicious cuisine made it an ideal get away. We had fun shopping at their Farm Store which features a wide variety of wonderful gifts; smoked sea salt and luscious balsamic vinegars, lavender soaps and lotions, spiced pecans and caramels, books, puzzles and more. A unique, delicious breakfast was included with the room and all meals featured local ingredients. The Rio Grande Nature Center State Park was within walking distance. We thoroughly enjoyed this relaxing oasis.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed three nights in March 2012 in Meem 4, which is one of the rooms built about a year ago. I was a bit concerned that they provided earplugs. There are peacocks on the property--pretty to look at, but they have a very loud call, and are very vocal in the spring. Generally, they are quiet at night--didn't hear them after dark. Could also hear the guests in the room next door talking in normal voices.
Bed was very comfortable. There's an extra long tub which was nice, and lavender bath products provided. The room is spacious and thoughtfully laid out.
However, there is a level of thoughtfulness I expect at an inn like this that I found lacking. For example, other hotels I stayed at in New Mexico provided complimentary bottled water. It's the desert, and it's very easy to get dehydrated. But although my room had a wine fridge and a unrefrigerated cash minibar of snacks, there was no water provided. (Yes, I know, there's tap water. But if you decide to walk around the property, a bottle of water would have been a nice courtesy).
The staff was polite and generally helpful. But when it comes to breakfast, they were surprisingly inflexible. They have a fixed menu of two breakfasts for each morning. If you don't like it, your only option is the granola. I have some dietary restrictions which I notified them of when making my reservations six weeks ahead. However, they clearly had not given it a thought until I was at the breakfast table. They did adapt what they served to avoid the foods I couldn't have, but it meant I basically had to eat whatever they could scrounge together from what they were already making. Overall, the food was very good, but it was often not normal breakfast food. One morning, it was sauteed vegetables. Another, it was bruschetta made with greens, carrots and peas. For dinner or lunch, it would have been lovely. But it's not really my idea of breakfast. When I asked if there was anything else, maybe just some toast and jam? I was told no (I heard another guest receive a similar response). But if they make bruschetta, they have bread, so they could have made toast. Or they could provide other cereal besides granola. They choose not to. I'm a tea drinker, and they had all sorts of flavored tea, but they didn't have just plain black breakfast tea. For an inn that size and at that price, it just seemed unaccommodating. Also, on weekdays, breakfast is only served from 8 am - 9 am (though they decided to serve it until 10 when I was there, according to a note in the dining room). So you may have to choose between sleeping in your very comfortable bed and eating breakfast.
Bottom line, it was a very nice stay, but I think it could have been better.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ChrissyHny
LosPoblanos, Manager at Los Poblanos Historic Inn & Organic Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Hello ChrissyHny,
Thank you for posting a review about your stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your room and the lavender products.

We are sorry, however, that the breakfast wasn't to your liking. As a working organic farm, almost all of our ingredients for all meals served on the property are grown right here on the farm. Spring is the perfect time of year for our Chef to showcase vegetables such as peas and carrots, as well as other seasonal produce. We understand that it may not be what everyone is accustomed to enjoying at breakfast, however, these are the best, freshest ingredients available.

Please be assured that we take all feedback very seriously, and we have passed on your comments to our kitchen team.

We hope to see you at the Inn on a future stay! Please feel free to contact us directly with any additional questions or feedback.

With regards,
Nancy Kinyanjui
Inn Manager
Los Poblanos Historic Inn & Organic Farm

Reviewed 3 April 2012

My wife and I live in Albuquerque and had heard good things about Los Poblanos. We were planning a quick romantic "staycation" and thought this sounded perfect. We were not disappointed - the inn was everything we had heard. We stayed in the Greely 1 suite and it was very nice. There is a living area with a beautiful kiva style fireplace that worked beautifully, a nice kitchenette, a cozy bedroom with a huge king size bed, nicely appointed bathroom and a nice private patio. The inn is located in the valley near the Rio Grande and has a very rural feel to it even though it is surrounded by the city. We enjoyed walking around and exploring the grounds - although it was a little early in the Spring so there were not a lot of blooms and most of the trees and shrubs were just beginning to leaf out. I am sure it is spectacular a little bit later in the season. We really enjoyed visiting the barn and the pens where the goats, chickens, pigs, etc were. The place is like combining your aunt and uncles farm with a really luxurious inn - very comfortable and relaxing (and you don't have to milk the goats). The breakfast was absolutely delicious and the service was excellent. I would highly recommend Los Poblanos to out of town visitors - it is in a lovely location and it is pretty easy to get to other areas of town or to the interstate to go to Santa Fe.

Room Tip: The Greely Suite we stayed in was toward the back and may be a little quieter since it is further aw...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Los Poblanos. It was such a pristine setting and really allowed me to relax and get away from the city. Driving up to the property you drive down a tree-lined drive. The old ranch house setting is beautiful and the check in area is quaint. They give you a little tour of the dining room, kitchen and living room area. My room itself was very modern and clean with a homey feeling. I'd love for my future house to look like this! There's a farm store where you can buy their wonderful smelling lavender products and an animal area where you can play with their goats. When I was there some babies had just been born and they were adorable. I can not wait to come back here!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo