“A rating for what it is”

Suburban Extended Stay Albuquerque
Ranked #100 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Los Angeles, California
“A rating for what it is”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

You're staying at a budget hotel. As long as you get that, and you're not expecting Hilton or even Holiday Inn like accomodations, you'll be beyond happy. The rate was insanely low and the room for the rate, exceeded my every expectation. It was in a central location where I could get to any part of the city in under 20 minutes, and having once lived in Albuquerque, I was happy to find Rudy's BBQ and Blakes in walking distance.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Elk Point, South Dakota
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I spent a week in ABQ from May 23-30th. My room was clean, comfortable and as a single woman travelling alone, I felt very safe staying here. The hotel is close to shopping & attractions. The staff is great especially Brenda who made sure my travel points were credited to my SW airline account. I had read some of the negative reviews before I booked my room, but you really need to decide for yourself. I was glad I chose to stay here. The price, safety, comfort and location all make Suburban Extended Stay a very good choice when visiting Albuquerque. I have recommended it to friends and will stay again when I am in the city.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank mare0214
Suburbanabq, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Albuquerque, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. We look forward to your next visit to Albuquerque.

Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My wife and I were in town for medical seminar the first week of June. Having previously lived in and visited Albuquerque, we were already familiar with the wide range of accomodations available to the traveler.

The Suburban Extended Stay Albuquerque has much to recommend it. Yes, it is spartan, but if you're on a budget, and your vacation isn't centered around a resort-style room and facilities, it can easily meet your needs. It is up to each individual or couple to decide to stay or leave when confronted with an unacceptable motel room, service or circumstances. Our room was worn but clean, cool and quiet. The staff at the front desk was friendly, answered questions accurately and changed out towels as frequently as requested. Our room's kitchen provided us with a chance to cook a few simple meals instead of having to eat constantly at restaurants. We noticed that while the motel was busy, there was no after dark blare of noise to keep you awake, despite the presence of large families with children.

Finally, the motel is located conveniently a couple blocks north of the I-40, which makes it convenient getting around the city. And you're next door to Rudy's (!), a great local family run barbeque restaurant. They do late night service and take out, too!

Albuquerque offers many lovely bed-and-breakfasts and a wide range of hotels and motels in a price range for everyone. We were pleased with our 3-day stay at the Suburban Extended Stay.

Room Tip: An excellent choice with families with children.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CBAPD
Thank you for your review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next trip to Albuquerque!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Aunt thought she saw dead bugs in her bed so we left and booked another hotel for the night. Although the guy at the desk couldn't help us out because no one else was there to assist him, he ensured us that we would receive a refund the next morning. We came in and the manager questioned us a bit but ended up giving us the refund.

Other than that though, the room reeked of smoke and the floor had unusual stains on it. The shower curtain had plenty of stains as well. Although the place was questionable, the staff was really nice and didn't give us any hassle about our problem.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Suburbanabq, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Albuquerque, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Thank you for complementing our customer service and staff performance. We took immediate action in regards to your guest room experience; we are pleased to say that your guest room was in fact bug free. We take all of our guests comments and complaints seriously. We are continuously striving to improve our guest's experiences and our hotel. We hope that in the future you will consider staying with us again.

Travellers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

Largo, Florida, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I am finally nearing the end of my 54 day stay at the Suburban Extended Stay in Albuquerque, NM. If I had not pre-paid, I likely would have switched to another hotel, and I would definitely not stay here again or recommend the hotel to ANYONE.
Let me start with the positives, of which there are few:
1) The hotel is centrally located and has convenient access to highways, shopping, and local businesses.
2) The layout of the room is good--plenty of room for storage.

Now, on to the reasons I would love to be staying elsewhere:

On the day I checked in, I arrived earlier than the typical check-in time. I was told that the room they were planning to give me was not yet ready, so I agreed to take an upstairs room. This was not a problem, as I was thrilled to have any room after my long drive. When I entered the room I was given (room #276), I would have guessed that it was not ready for me either. Yes, the bed was made and there were towels in the bathroom, but the room was filthy. Maybe it was acceptable by someone else’s standards, but it was not acceptable by mine, especially as I would be living here for nearly two months.

After unpacking the majority of my belongings (which are numerous, as my stay has been long and I am preparing for a permanent move to the Albuquerque area), I made a run to pick up cleaning supplies. My first day in the hotel was spent cleaning. I was disgusted with what I found.

Kitchen:
• The backsplash was spotted with previous guests’ cooking splatter and had not been wiped. It cleaned up easily when I wiped it, which means that it would have cleaned up easily for the housekeeping staff.
• The pots and pans were left on the stove, probably to cover the fact that neither the stove top nor the drain pans for the burners had been cleaned in SEVERAL uses. Once cleaned, they looked almost brand new.
• An open bag of ice was left in the freezer. This might seem nice at first, until you realize that the previous guests likely used their hands to grab ice and put it in glasses.
• The outsides of the cabinets were stained with food, as were the walls. Again, I wiped them all.
• The top of the refrigerator (which is below eye level) had not been cleaned anytime recently, nor had the range hood.
• There were lint balls or spider webs hanging from the popcorn ceiling over the refrigerator which I knocked down with the broom I purchased.
• Because of the visible lack of care by housekeeping in the kitchen area, I did not trust that the dishes, silverware, pots or pans were clean. So I cleaned all of them before I used them. I still have not used the glassware (thankfully, I brought my own).

Bathroom:
• The tub and shower may have been wiped down, but they were not clean. Using my cleaning supplies, I was able to remove several “stains” from both.
• The walls were filthy, as were the switch plates and outlets.
• The towels were stained. I decided quickly that I would buy my own towels to use.
• The floor was filthy, especially along the walls and near the tub. I did not have a mop, so I used a rag to clean it. But it could have been done with a mop. The floor in the kitchen was the same.

Bedroom:
• The walls are filthy. I have considered requesting a bucket of paint and a roller so I can do some touch-ups. I would no doubt do a better job than the crew that touched up the paint the last time. They left paint on everything (especially in the bathroom). I have considered buying a scraper so I can scrape the paint off the floors, tub, and shower walls, but my husband said I should not do any remodeling.
• The blanket on the bed was full of holes, so I removed both the blanket it and the bedspread and bought a new blanket to use. I actually bought a whole comforter set with bedskirt, but my husband made me take it back because he said I should not do any redecorating.
• Instead of baseboards or cove base, the carpet wraps up onto the walls in the bedroom area. In the corners where the floor and wall meet, there was a considerable amount of dog hair. While I am an animal lover and think it is great that the hotel allows pets, the extra $15 per night that pet owners pay should mean that guests should not be able to tell that the previous occupants of the room traveled with their four-legged companions.

When I checked in, I was told that my cleaning day would be Thursday. I have seen seven Thursdays come and go, and I have to say that my disappointment with the housekeeping staff continues. Each Thursday morning before I leave for work, I clear EVERYTHING from ALL surfaces in the room. As I mentioned, I have quite a bit of personal stuff with me, so this takes a while. But I don’t want to make anything more difficult for them. Despite the clutter-free surfaces, they do not touch anything but the bathroom. I could understand if I left dishes in the sink or if I left paperwork or a computer on the eating area, but that is not the case. The first time they cleaned, they did not even swap out towels or leave toilet paper. Granted, I did not use most of the towels, but they could have swapped them for clean towels. And I HAD used the shower mat. The second time I was scheduled for cleaning, I arrived back at my room at 4:30pm, and they still had not cleaned. I was told by the office that their priority was check-outs. If they cannot finish check-outs AND once-a-week cleans by 4:30, they are understaffed, which could be the reason they do such a poor job. I left to give them time to clean, and they did the minimal cleaning again. When I asked in the office, I was told that they were only supposed to change the linens, clean the bathroom, and clean the floors. I would find out later that this was not the case.

The following Thursday, I arrived back in my room at 8:30pm, and the room had not been cleaned. I went to the office and requested clean sheets and towels and the number to call someone at the corporate office. I was given the sheets and towels and told that I would have to talk to the manager to get the number for corporate. I spent the next two hours changing my own linens and cleaning my own room (which I do a better job of than any of the paid cleaning staff here). I woke up bright and early the next morning to go talk to the manager. She was very polite and apologetic. She offered to have my room cleaned twice a week. I told her that I only wanted it cleaned once—I only want what I am paying for. I asked her what I should expect when they do clean my room, and she told me that they should be cleaning everything but my dishes. I let her know that even though my room should be the easiest room they clean all day (with nothing on the countertops), they are not cleaning to her expectations. She indicated that she would put her best cleaning person on my room, to which I replied that someone else would be getting the shaft. The following week they did a better job, but each time since they have failed miserably, most times not even cleaning the floors in the kitchen or bathroom.

I have really just referred to the issues of cleanliness, which I think are easy to address. I can live with the cracked tiles, the grout that comes out every time you step on it, the broken lamp shade, and the curtains that don’t close all the way. I can even deal with the seemingly indifferent hotel office staff. But when guests can SEE that a room is dirty without looking too hard, it makes them wonder what they can’t see, and that is an unpleasant thought.

I haven’t asked for any sort of compensation. I chose to pre-pay because it was a good deal. You get what you pay for. I just wish I had actually gotten what I was told I would get for the money I paid, and I hope that others won’t have the same experience I’ve had. At least with all of the cleaning I've done, the next guest who stays in room 276 will have a much cleaner room than I had.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Sharon M
Suburbanabq, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Albuquerque, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your experience on line. I have printed your review for the staff to read. I find that this is completely unacceptable and not the standard of our hotel or choice hotels. I am holding some very aggressive training programs with all of the employees at our hotel to address this issue. I am glad that I was able to meet you personally and I hope you enjoy your new home in Albuquerque.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This hotel is a little outdated, needs a little sprucing up,like new bedspreads,curtains, and elbow grease. But the exterior landscaping is nice. Staff is always friendly. Honestly its just a low priced extended stay property. But it is comfortable. Compared to the other extended stay properties in this price range, its ahead of the pack!

Room Tip: If your budget conscience, its a great place to stay but bring a few cleaning supplies. Its quickl...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Lisa V
Littleton
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I had read the reviews prior, so I decided to give this hotel a try. The outside of the property and the grounds were nice and well maintained. My room was ok. The walls looked to be recently painted, the bed was comfortable; kitchen was ok. The bathroom was not too inviting, the tile was dirty, I think with a bit of Clorox and elbow grease would do wonders. The carpet in the room was disgusting! I was there for a dog show and I would not let my dog lay on the floor. The upholstered chair was not the cleanest, so I didn't use it, instead I requested extra sheets and covered the chair and the bed. The most frustrating part of my stay was the door handle did not always work!! I had the try at least 3 tries before I could be the door open. I don't know if they have fixed it, but don't stay in room 116, unless you check it out. The overall location was excellent to the interstate, Walmart and a grat BBQ place that you could walk to as it was practically in our parking lot. If you are on a tight budget, bring your Clorox wipes and check the door hanle first.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business