“Service is slipping badly”

Holiday Inn Express - Balloon Fiesta Park
Ranked #76 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Service is slipping badly”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We have stayed at this hotel multiple times. Last time there were problems with breakfast area and climate control. I thought is might just be an anomaly due to past pleasant stays.
We stayed on August 26-28 of this year. The first night, there was no Do Not Disturb sign for our door. My husband called down and spoke to the manager who told him he would bring up a sign and put in in our slot. We woke up the next morning and there was no sign.
The next evening, my husband picked up a Do Not Disturb sign from the front desk and put it in our door. We were awakened the next morning about 8:00 AM by loud laughter in the corridor. I opened the door and there were two housekeepers-a male and female laughing loudly right outside our room which had the Do Not Disturb sign visably in place. There were no other room doors open. I asked them if they did not see the sign and they laughed at me. I did notify the front desk when we checked out and all they said was, "Oh, really."
There were also problems with the breakfast area. Food was lukewarm, what there was of it. Employees standing around eating and laughing. Customers were being totally ignored.
Don't think we will stay here again, despite the convenient location to things we enjoy doing. It isn't worth the aggravation.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Balloon Fiesta Park, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear LyleandTerry,
Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you received service which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Houston
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Day two and still poor service in the breakfast area.Help just standing around eating. The trash containers overflowing. Out of food. No biscuits at 9am and it stays open till 10am. The safe in our room was out of order as was the refrigerator. Our bill was $280 which is overpriced for the quality.

• Stayed August 2012

Travellers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

United States
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Clean rooms, bed made really nice, amazing service, showers were clean, good price, food was good, pool was great, you just feel relax when you enter you room.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank COGOP
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We picked this HIE due to it's location close to the Balloon Fiesta Park. We had previously had (what we THOUGHT) was a mediocre experience with a hotel up the street and decided to give this one a try. I won't make that mistake again!

The Good:

Location, Ice machine worked, Fast and easy check out process, Bathroom towels weren't scratchy (but they were stained).

The Bad:

To start off with, the indoor pool was so cold that my daughter was shivering after only 10 minutes. I would have recommended that she get in the hot-tub, but the water was so murky that you could not see the bottom. I wasn't expecting something exactly pristine, but it was not exactly inviting... So, after about 30 minutes we scrapped the swimming adventures.

Off to the room for a warm shower we thought. The bathroom was so small that I was barely able to get in and close the door (I'm an average size person) to help her with the temperature on the shower, which took almost 5 minutes of the water running full blast to get warm water... "It's not a big deal", I told myself, this is a Holiday Inn, not the Ritz, don't expect so much. Well, the water was FINALLY warm and I left her to take her shower. The shower enclosure creaked and cracked so much I thought she was going to fall through it!! Mind you, she is a very thin child at just under 60 pounds, you would not think she would be putting too much stress on anything.

I decided to take the water bottles and Gatorade from our ice chest and put them into the fridge so that I could dry out our small ice chest. Wrong, it wasn't working!! So I had to go down to the first floor (we were on the third) to get ice. (This is the ONE kudo this hotel gets, the ice machine actually worked and did not spit ice everywhere!!)

Morning finally rolls around and we go down for breakfast. This was also one of the reasons I chose this location. We were in town for a sports event for my daughter and it is very important that she eat a decent breakfast. Again, I wasn't looking for anything spectacular, just what they had advertised. Some type of breakfast meat, eggs, cereal, juice, some fruit, etc. The powdered eggs were falling apart from being too dry, yet still managed to have water sitting under them from condensation. MMMmmmm, appetizing... The pancake machine was broken, there was no waffle machine, the Canadian bacon was dryed out and shriveled, the waffles that were with the bagels and bread were frozen and the toaster took over 3 minutes to barely warm, NOT toast, anything. The milk and yogurt were room temperature at best, the cranberry juice tasted expired, and the bananas (only fruit available) were all bruised. There were two breakfast room attendants who would wipe down tables after each guest and refill various trays as needed, the did a decent job of this. What they did NOT do is a decent job of emptying the trash! As most of the plates, bowls, and cups were still plenty full, the trash can filled up almost immediately. Both employees repeatedly walked past the overflowing can and not only did not empty it, but continued to pile trash on top of it! One guest finally took the lid off and pulled the bag up so that his family could empty their table, and they STILL did not empty it!! By the time my family left our table, there was absolutely no room left, so we did not clear our table.

I thought to myself, we managed to make it through the night. The beds were acceptable, I felt relatively safe, and our vehicle was not broken into or stolen, overall, not as bad a hotel experience as it could have been, I'll just take my bags and be on our way...

Later that day my daughter was complaining of itching on her legs and we saw several bumps. They looked harmless enough and we though maybe she just had heat bumps from running during her soccer training. She continued to complain of them on the trip home, and when I got her up for school this morning I saw that they were all over the front and back of her legs, her stomach, her back, and her arms. She said they were annoying, but not painfull so I put Caladryl on them, gave her a Benedryl and sent her to school. She has no known allergies, so I thought I would just keep an eye on them and check them when she got home today. However, after seeing the same bumps up and down my side, back, and stomach on myself, I realized it was no allergic reaction!! Seriously, BED BUGS?!?!?!

I understand that no place is perfect, but come on! If I'm paying over $80 a night, I expect the place to at least be clean!

Room Tip: Rooms in the hotel down the street did not have bed bugs.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Desiree L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Balloon Fiesta Park, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Desiree L,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a candid review. I assure you bed bugs are not a sanitary issue and IHG takes these concerns seriously. We recommend that our hotels undergo routine preventative procedures to guard against bed bugs. In the event that bed bugs are discovered, we recommend that the hotel's pest control specialists act to ensure that the bugs are eradicated and if necessary, the hotel discards and replaces all affected furniture and linens. Additionally, we recommend the guest room is taken out of service until the hotel is advised that the guest room is pest free. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ben J
IHG Care
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 29 January 2012

This hotel has a convenient location for us, close to I-25 with access to Albuquerque destinations we like, and not far from Rio Rancho where we visit family. On the same lot is a Phillips 66, a convenience store, and a Carl’s Jr. The location is also very close to the Balloon Fiesta grounds.

This is a lower mid-level hotel with most of the necessities we want for a reasonable price.

The breakfast is fairly typical of this style of hotel and more than adequate for us. It included a pancake machine which worked well and provided some variety to the usual fare of cereal, juice, bread and roll varieties, fruit, etc. The attendant provided good service and overall the breakfast was a plus.

We found the facility to be pleasant and clean.

There are two computers and a printer in the entry area for those who need them. We did not use the pool or workout facility.

As mentioned in other reviews the bathroom is small. Exactly the length of a bathtub, to be exact. One person can manage fine, but the toilet and door occasionally get in the way. The shower enclosure floor was faulty in some way and made loud creaking noises as we stood in the shower.

We had a suite which suffered terribly from dim lighting. The light situation was worsened by a broken desk lamp and a burned out light bulb in a wall lamp. We asked that the lamp be replaced and the desk clerk promptly brought us a replacement. The room’s wet bar was above average, well lit with a fridge, coffee maker, and microwave.

Our room was not made up on our second day even though the housekeeping cart was at our door when we left the hotel. The desk provided clean towels when we returned that night, but the event hurt our overall impression of the place.

This hotel has many things going for it but this particular experience was not what it should have been. It strikes me that our issues could have been prevented by the housekeeper and might not be typical of every guest’s experience. Given the things we DO like about the hotel, we will give it one more chance sometime in the future.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
arizona
Reviewed 5 January 2012

What a great hotel! Staff was always helpfull and kind espescially when the roads were closed due to storm. They extended our checkout time at no charge and helped us watch for when the roads reopened. The room-suite was great with lots of space and comfy beds. The breakfast was so good and plentiful. ( Warm cim- rolls) It had the coolest pancake maker that I ever saw. The only negitive thing was too much clorine in the pool and hot tub. But we understand why. This is our new favorite place to stay when we travel to Colorado from Arizona. Thanks for the great stay!

Room Tip: The room suite has lots of nice space when traveling with kids and it's not too much more in pri...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank sunshine2001
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stay at a lot of Holiday Inn Express hotels, so this ranking is very much relative to the general HIE I have experienced across the country. Overall clean and comfortable. But this HIE is rather quirky compared to the others. Room was very small. Bathroom was not as clean as I would like to see. The TV is rigged so you cannot use alternate inputs (e.g., A/V input from an iPad), even though the inputs are on the TV. Remote was dead. Bathroom is very small. No good restaurants nearby (it's located in a light industrial area). No Priority Club water at check in (not a real big issue, but it's nice to have). Charge an extra $10 for the second adult. More strict than average cancellation policy (24 or more hours out). So overall, for the same money, I will be staying at a different HIE. in ABQ on my next trip.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business