“Great Value - Great Staff”

Econo Lodge Downtown
Ranked #88 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I love this hotel. Period. The staff is the friendliest I've found in any Albuquerque hotel. The Econolodge is old; there is no getting around that. And the breakfast is not fancy. But, they are constantly upgrading things: from bedding to plumbing fixtures, etc. You can't beat the rate anywhere, and frankly I'll take the attentive staff over hotel breakfasts any day.

ESPECIALLY if you're in ABQ with family/friends in one of the downtown hospitals, this is a great place. It's close, safe, quiet. We've now stayed in about 5 Choice properties in ABQ and one that was not a Choice affiliate.We'll stick with this one - MY Econolodge - from now on.

Room Tip: It's an old hotel, and some of the rooms host pets. If you're allergic, look at the room, fi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Sean J, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Kate, thank you for your kind words. We love having you hear!! Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

My room smelled like some dog pee'd all over the place. We came to Albuquerque for one night and only needed the place to sleep so I guess you get what you paid for applies here. If you're looking for a place with a spa, fitness center, legit breakfast than look elsewhere.

Also it annoys me that none of the cleaning ladies speak English. So it's hard to communicate what I want without using gestures and having me do interpretive dance to get what I want.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a place to crash for one night then this is your room. If you're look...
1  Thank trojanOOF
Sean J, Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at our hotel. I assure you that your concerns will we addressed appropriately and I hope that you can give us another chance in the near future.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

The room smelled like a moldy ash tray and cleanliness was negligible. The rollaway bed we requested didn't really fit in the room, and the "breakfast" was skimpy. The only nice thing was the gentleman who checked us in in the middle of the night....he was friendly and clean cut.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I made a mistake and made a reservation at the Econo Lodge Downtown instead of the Econo Lodge Old Town where I wanted to stay. They're both on Central Avenue and I assumed they were they same hotel. It was a mistake I dearly paid for - in particular as I didn't realize it until I was out on the hot New Mexican summer trying to walk to the old town (fortunately, once I realized my mistake I also found out that there are buses that run up and down Central Ave. for just $1 per adult, kids are free!).

The hotel itself was just as disappointing as its location. The room was clean but extremely cramped. There was barely enough room for the two full-size beds (not queens), so there was no hope to sit at the small table without climbing onto the bid first.

Though the room was supposed to be non-smoking, it smelled like smoke. The beds were extremely hard, and the pillows not much better. On the plus side, the shower had good water pressure and my kids enjoyed the pool, which stayed open until 9 PM.

Breakfast was almost non-existent. Bad coffee, machine OJ, a couple of dried danishes cut in half, some dry cereal and sliced bread. It might not have been that bad if the reviews for the breakfast at the /other/ Econo Lodge had not been so positive.

Oh well, live and learn to check the address better next time.

Room Tip: Make sure this is the actual Econo Lodge you want to stay at Inspect the room first, to make sure i...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with my staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

I have been frequent guest at the Econo Lodge since 2010.
The staff are not only knowledgeable about ABQ and NM, but they are gracious and genuinely interested in providing guests a comfortable and safe stay. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank TeacupCoyote
Sean J, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Thank you for your business. We look forward to seeing you again!!!!

Reviewed 8 April 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is it is typically much better than everything around it. It is above the very cheap hotels surrounding it and is priced so that most of the criminal element won't pay for it. Otherwise, the service is between good and horrible at the front desk, depending on who you get. The rooms are below average and run down. They also do ask you to pay upfront, which is weird and what you get for cheaper hotels. Would not recommend this for tourists; not in a great part of town.

Room Tip: Check the room before you pay is all I can say.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Kelly J, Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

We’re sorry we didn’t provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel We apologize for the issues in your room and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn’t happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

the breakfast in the morning sucks. You have the option of one kind of bread (presumably for toast?), milk, and two kinds of cereal. I've eaten a better bfast at a super 8, and that's saying something. There's no restroom in the lobby.

The front desk worker bobby is a chatty-cathy. He talks too much. But he's nice.
The other front desk worker, Tina, doesn't listen to your needs. She just sort of yells. I don't get it.

The towels are disgusting actually. I saw red stains (blood?) on the wash clothes before trying to use them. Um. Clean your towels! That's one of the responsibilities of EVERY hotel.

The credit card machine was down when we visited, so we had to get cash to pay. How inconvenient. Okay for location. Probably a little shady at night with the local trash wandering around, but okay for a budget hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Sean J, Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

I'am very sorry to hear about you negative experience with our hotel. I assure you that the problems that you explained will be handled accordingly. If you are planning a trip to Albuquerque anytime soon please allow us to show you that we have fixed you issues.