“Hidden gem”
Review of Blue Portal

Blue Portal
Ranked #2 of 103 Shopping in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Owner description: Blue Portal is a unique gift store with items made by New Mexico senior artisans. It is a philanthropic program of the Assistance League(R) of Albuquerque. All the items in the store are made by local artisans who must be 55 years or older to participate. The Blue Portal does not charge these artists to place their items in the store. The artist sets his own prices and receives 100% of any sale revenue. The store is staffed entirely by volunteers of the Assistance League of Albuquerque. Blue Portal is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00AM to 4:30PM, on Sunday from 1:00PM to 4:00PM. The store is closed to the public on Monday.
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This place is a real find hidden on a side alley in Old Town. Great buys on art and crafts by local seniors. We bought a charming hanging quilt there as well as other items. Reasonable prices. Open to 4:30 PM on weekdays.

4  Thank Pnemiller

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My parents lived in Albuquerque for many years and the Blue Portal was always a place they took visitors to Old Town. It is full of beautiful hand-made items, at both ends of the price spectrum. A couple of years ago, I was visiting Albuquerque and arrived at the Blue Portal just as they were closing. The woman locking the door saw my sad expression, asked me if I could come another day and when I explained that I was from out of town, ushered me inside and very patiently went about another project while I shopped. I felt that was above and beyond the call of duty and such an example of what the Blue Portal is all about! Definitely check out this gem of a shop!

4  Thank N U
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The Blue Portal is a great little shop in Old town. The ladies that work there are so sweet. They helped me find a gift for my 4 year old grandson. It's hard to find something for boys in most of the shops around Old town. Also gave great advice on other places to visit. Love the hand made stuff. The prices are great. I will definitely be back .

4  Thank PamMOWaco
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Love finding shopping places that are local and most inexpensive. Blue Portal in Old Town is the place to go. I'm a crafter and was most impressed with the variety of arts and crafts available and the prices can't be beat! I'm a quilter and found myself buying a quilted piece made by someone else - that's saying something. I plan to do my Christmas shopping at Blue Portal - knowing that all the money goes to the local artists and my purchases don't cost me an arm and a leg is the biggest selling point for me. Plus the people who work there truly know the meaning of customer service. Makes me glad to be an Albuquerque resident!

4  Thank Marsha K
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We first discovered the Blue Portal by accident around 1988 or 89 when it was just 2 rooms. At that time our major purchase (among other items) was a beautiful hand made king size quilt which still graces our bedroom. Sadly they don't handle them anymore. Over the years we've stopped by many times and have always been pleased with the items purchased that are of the same quality (usually better) than those found in the shops round about and very reasonably priced. The Blue Portal is a unique shopping experience, well worth any one's time.

3  Thank Bill H