“sad, sad, sad and getting sadder”

Crowne Plaza Albuquerque
Ranked #66 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“sad, sad, sad and getting sadder”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I live in Albuquerque so while I do not stay at the Crowne Plaza, I am often there for meetings, events and special occasions.
The short version is that while the interior first floor continues to be lovely, the service, food and organization gets worse all the time.
At some point they will quit selling this hotel back and forth from one big conglomerate to another and decide the problem is the building. It isn't. It is the management, organization and what is apparently a complete absence of staff training.
After a lousy Christmas dinner in the large dining room, I don't think I can bear one more catastrophic, amateur gathering here no matter how charming the 50s-60s decor.
In December there was a joke making the rounds in Albuquerque that is apparently truer than funny.
Q: Where is the best place to go for Christmas dinner in Albuquerque?
A: Santa Fe
The food was mediocre, the service was scattered, fractious, and ranged from sweet and shy to just plain nasty.
Since I stay at Crowne Plazas and Intercontinentals outside Albuquerque, I find this local version humiliating.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank nycexpatagain
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Albuquerque, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear nycexpatagain,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. It is unfortunate the food and service prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Check in fine. But as a Platinum reward member, no recognition.

Room temperature controls not functional for getting a consistent room temp. At 70 degrees, sometimes the room was cold and at other times hot. Frustrating.

Bathroom had a dim atmosphere because of the lighting.

Although the hotel website off the IHG reservation system still list a club lounge for Platinum members, the lounge has not been functional for the last 5 or 6 months under a claimed renovation. However, when I inquired about access the front desk said they were not opening it because hotel occupancy was low. I was truly looking forward to using the club lounge and its claimed renovation - since previously my experience amounted to a run down room on the 12th floor with little to offer (it was a layout like you might leave your cat if you were going to be gone for the weekend (leaving out some recycled corn chips in a bowl in evening and un-chilled fruit on a tray in the morning that would sit for hours.))

The best feature of the hotel is the cafe. They serve some really good food.

Free internet is so slow you will give up trying to use it. Did I mention the front desk said occupancy was low - so who was tying up the wifi bandwith?

Towels were very warn.

Within the IHG hotels I choose to stay at Crowne Plazas due to their general good quality. I would have to say the Albuquerque property lowers the brand's reputation. You would think IHG would audit or occasionally spot check general aspects of a franchise to assure it measures up to certain standards rather than bring down the reputation, in this case, the Crowne Plaza brand.

Room Tip: They allow pets. So ask for a room that has been pet free.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank HYTAIL
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Albuquerque, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear HYTAIL,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. As an IHG Rewards Club Member, we greatly appreciate your loyalty to our brand and hotel. It is good to know you like our hotel cafe. However, I deeply apologize if you did not receive the recognition and benefits that you should have as a member. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the internet service and room amenities. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken to avoid any recurrence.

Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Crown Plaza in Albuquerque does offer many of the items one looks for in an upper scale hotel. It is located close to the I-40 & I-25 freeways which is both a blessing and a curse. The blessing is it is fairly easy to get off and on the freeways. The curse is the road noise. Many rooms have balcony access but the road noise is terrible so leaving the door open is sinceless. The staff is wonderful and the hotel itself is pretty well kept. The in room coffee machine is a mess and should be replaced with another brand. It appears that the room service dishes do not get picked up on the weekends so they pile up in the hallway making it a bit tricky to move the rolling cart and your luggage down the hall without hitting food trays (yuck).

Room Tip: If you can afford to stay on the executive level on the 12th floor with it's own elevator it is...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Wylie, Texas
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here one night while driving back to Texas from California. I've also stayed here back when his hotel was a Hilton in 2009 or so. My north-facing view from the 6th floor was beautiful, with great views of downtown and the volcanoes. The location was right off of the I-40/I-25 interchange, which was very convenient. The room was a bit small but comfortable, but the bathroom was sort of crowded.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Minden, Nevada
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The good part: I chose this hotel because the beds looked comfy and it used to be a Hyatt (?). Well, the bed was comfy and it had a decent shower although the bathroom was tiny. It was reasonably quiet even though our room faced the freeway.

The bad part: Now comes the troubles, the first 4 nights of our 9 night stay were fine, we had internet and maid service, although the maids never made it to our room till around 6 pm (really??). The maid would forget to empty the garbage and refill the coffee, etc. Night 5 through 8, we found that we no longer had internet access and maid service is just so ridiculously slow that we take the garbage cans to them, get towels from them and replace our own coffee. Oh yeah, and I made our beds!

You ready for the kicker?? I called the front desk for 2 days in a row to complain about having NO internet service and finally the girl blamed it on my laptop. Even though I told her that we had 3 laptops and 3 iphones, none of which had service, she still insisted that it must be our equipment (really??). Now my patience is running out and I ask her to get it fixed. She tells me that I need to call their Internet Tech Support to have them figure out if it is our equipment (6 pieces), or theirs. I spent an hour on the phone with IT and finally got so mad that I told the guy to call me back when he figured it out. Is this customer service??

My question was, why was I put in the position of figuring out THEIR internet problems, making my own beds, emptying my own garbage, getting my own towels and coffee??? At this point, I called the front desk again and asked for the manager. I got his voicemail....I left my message and phone # and in the last 3 days that we were there I never heard a word from him. Do you think that they care about their customers?? I know what my answer is, but I would love to hear from some uppity up as to why I didn't have any service of any kind while I was there!

This part is for the hotel manager, owner, etc...
**YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH STAFF WHEN THE MAIDS CAN'T MAKE IT TO YOUR ROOM BEFORE 6 PM EVERY DAY...HIRE MORE!
**YOUR CUSTOMER SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO YOUR JOB OF GETTING YOUR INTERNET SERVICE WORKING!
**YOUR CUSTOMER SHOULD NOT HAVE TO MAKE UP AND REPLENISH THEIR OWN ROOM!
**YOUR MANAGER SHOULD ALWAYS CALL BACK AN UNHAPPY CUSTOMER TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT!

I'm a pretty easy going person until I have to do YOUR jobs....I still haven't heard from any upper management from this property and don't ever expect to...you will be happy to know that I won't be staying at your hotel next year...or ever!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lori A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Albuquerque, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear tigermom112,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. We would like to obtain some additional information and have sent you a Private Message.

Adrian D
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I didn't stay at this hotel but the person working the front desk named Jessica was superb! We came into town at about 1am from a road trip and there were no rooms anywhere as the balloon fiesta was still in town. We were not aware of this and without Jessica's help, we would have been stuck! Because of her, we would stay at this hotel the next time we are in Albuquerque!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Rison, Arkansas
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel for while in town to conduct training. The rooms were okay. The staff was okay. The food at breakfast was okay. The offerings for dinner at the "regular restaurant" were less than okay. The only way to get decent food (without having to leave the property) was to eat at the expensive steak house. With prices in the $30+ per person range, this is not something the average business traveler can do. I knew I was going to be back in Albuquerque in a few weeks. I disliked the experience enough to book my next stay at a hotel across the street from this hotel that provide free, hot, eggs-cooked-to-order breakfast and good dinner offerings at good prices ($15 per person) for the same room rate.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear NandTBearden,

Firstly let me offer my sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations and for not creating a memorable stay for you. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future, and hopefully on such occasion we can start to rebuild your trust in our hotel.

Connie D