“Really Average”

Crowne Plaza Albuquerque
Ranked #64 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I arrived around 9:00 pm, was the only person there to check in, but I has to wait because the woman at the desk was talking on the phone. Originally, she did not acknowledge me at all, but then after a few minutes of me standing there she did mouth to me "that she should be with me in a minute", but then kept on talking. Really, you can't put the phone down to check in the 1 person waiting at the desk? Then after checking me in she did not tell me where the elevators were, what time check out was, or any of the usual information. Very disappointing. The room itself was fine, bed was comfortable, usual amenities. I went to the bar/restaurant that night. The waitress was very nice, but it took an unusually long time to get a simple quesadilla. The next day I ate in the restaurant for lunch, the hostess gave me a menu with only 5 items on it because they were "expecting to be busy", but the two tables seated right after me were given the full menu. My burger was fine, but I would have preferred something off the full menu. And only 4 tables were being used, so why did I have to have a limited menu. Weird. I would not choose to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Christine A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Christine A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. I am pleased to know that you found your room comfortable and apologize for the inconvenience the service you received from our front desk and restaurant may have caused you. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

The bed was nice. The room was cold the thermostat was stuck on 70.
Right next to I-40 so there is lots of road noise.
The bar and grill was nice, drinks were only $8.
The food was good too.
Close to downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't on the same side as I-40
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Mark H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate to see the noise from the road prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do appreciate the high scores for Cleanliness, Service, and Sleep Quality. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Regrettably, We booked this room through Hotels.com and prepaid as per usual. When we checked in, they asked for a credit card for "incidentals only". We made it clear that we would NOT be charging anything to the room. They proceeded to charge our credit card for the room rate when they had NO authorization to do so. I called them a few days later and they casually apologized for their fraudulent behavior, stating that they should have billed this to Hotels.com instead of us. They agreed to credit us promptly and they would call to confirm once the credit was issued.
I called back 1 week later after receiving NO Credit and NO Phone call and I was denied the right to speak to a Manager or anyone that could assist me. I am disputing this charge and will report this Hotel's act of CREDIT CARD FRAUD to the authorities! Their handling of this matter is unprofessional at best.
This hotel stay isn't even worth paying for once, but they'll make you pay twice! If you must stay the night in Albuquerque, you might be better off sleeping on the streets. You may run into some more honest people and your pocket is more likely to be picked at this Crowne Plaza Albuquerque!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank April K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear April K,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Albuquerque.

Karen G

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I live in Albuquerque so while I do not stay at the Crowne Plaza, I am often there for meetings, events and special occasions.
The short version is that while the interior first floor continues to be lovely, the service, food and organization gets worse all the time.
At some point they will quit selling this hotel back and forth from one big conglomerate to another and decide the problem is the building. It isn't. It is the management, organization and what is apparently a complete absence of staff training.
After a lousy Christmas dinner in the large dining room, I don't think I can bear one more catastrophic, amateur gathering here no matter how charming the 50s-60s decor.
In December there was a joke making the rounds in Albuquerque that is apparently truer than funny.
Q: Where is the best place to go for Christmas dinner in Albuquerque?
A: Santa Fe
The food was mediocre, the service was scattered, fractious, and ranged from sweet and shy to just plain nasty.
Since I stay at Crowne Plazas and Intercontinentals outside Albuquerque, I find this local version humiliating.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank nycexpatagain
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear nycexpatagain,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. It is unfortunate the food and service prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Check in fine. But as a Platinum reward member, no recognition.

Room temperature controls not functional for getting a consistent room temp. At 70 degrees, sometimes the room was cold and at other times hot. Frustrating.

Bathroom had a dim atmosphere because of the lighting.

Although the hotel website off the IHG reservation system still list a club lounge for Platinum members, the lounge has not been functional for the last 5 or 6 months under a claimed renovation. However, when I inquired about access the front desk said they were not opening it because hotel occupancy was low. I was truly looking forward to using the club lounge and its claimed renovation - since previously my experience amounted to a run down room on the 12th floor with little to offer (it was a layout like you might leave your cat if you were going to be gone for the weekend (leaving out some recycled corn chips in a bowl in evening and un-chilled fruit on a tray in the morning that would sit for hours.))

The best feature of the hotel is the cafe. They serve some really good food.

Free internet is so slow you will give up trying to use it. Did I mention the front desk said occupancy was low - so who was tying up the wifi bandwith?

Towels were very warn.

Within the IHG hotels I choose to stay at Crowne Plazas due to their general good quality. I would have to say the Albuquerque property lowers the brand's reputation. You would think IHG would audit or occasionally spot check general aspects of a franchise to assure it measures up to certain standards rather than bring down the reputation, in this case, the Crowne Plaza brand.

Room Tip: They allow pets. So ask for a room that has been pet free.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank HYTAIL
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Albuquerque, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear HYTAIL,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. As an IHG Rewards Club Member, we greatly appreciate your loyalty to our brand and hotel. It is good to know you like our hotel cafe. However, I deeply apologize if you did not receive the recognition and benefits that you should have as a member. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the internet service and room amenities. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken to avoid any recurrence.

Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Crown Plaza in Albuquerque does offer many of the items one looks for in an upper scale hotel. It is located close to the I-40 & I-25 freeways which is both a blessing and a curse. The blessing is it is fairly easy to get off and on the freeways. The curse is the road noise. Many rooms have balcony access but the road noise is terrible so leaving the door open is sinceless. The staff is wonderful and the hotel itself is pretty well kept. The in room coffee machine is a mess and should be replaced with another brand. It appears that the room service dishes do not get picked up on the weekends so they pile up in the hallway making it a bit tricky to move the rolling cart and your luggage down the hall without hitting food trays (yuck).

Room Tip: If you can afford to stay on the executive level on the 12th floor with it's own elevator it is...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here one night while driving back to Texas from California. I've also stayed here back when his hotel was a Hilton in 2009 or so. My north-facing view from the 6th floor was beautiful, with great views of downtown and the volcanoes. The location was right off of the I-40/I-25 interchange, which was very convenient. The room was a bit small but comfortable, but the bathroom was sort of crowded.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business